• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

So when is a cigar really dead?

Danforz

Hey guys, I'm curious at what stage a cigar is over with. At what level of humidity and for how long?

63% works best for me.

I have some isom's from the '60's that are fantastic smokes. You would expect a cigar that old to be flat but these babies are some of the very best cigars I've ever had. They came from an estate sale in London.

When the wrapper is so dry that it crumbles, it is beyond saving.

It really depends on humidity of where you are storing them and the temperature and the cigar. I'm sure the exact time can vary immensely.

I've had some cigars go completely dry on me, as in not humidified for months and then slowly bring them back to proper moisture level. They never tasted right again. Obviously these weren't too good to begin with or I wouldn't have treated them so badly in the first place. So I'm gonna say if they completely dry out your screwed.

I think it's all about the oils in the tobacco. Once those are gone, or diminished, you're screwed. You can always add moisture, but you can't replace the oils. :)

Will 60% humidity over time dry out a cigar beyond saving? I always get worried this time of year because the dry air makes my humi plummet and at least a portion of every day I find the hygro sitting at 60%. Makes me worried but I know some use 60% media so i am not sure.

IMO if you're storing your cigars at less than 65% for extended periods of time you're cigars are already a little too dry. As far as trying to "revive" sticks goes... I've had some get pretty dried out and make a come back with a little TLC. It just takes plenty of moisture in the box and LOTS of time.

I agree with Cooke... if the wrapper is visibly damaged from being dry it's done.

Gator

When the wrapper is so dry that it crumbles, it is beyond saving.

It really depends on humidity of where you are storing them and the temperature and the cigar. I'm sure the exact time can vary immensely.

In Denver at this time of year, that's about 3 hours outside the humi (uncontrolled). I've seen the binder rupture in 4.

if the cigars are built well and of good quality tobacco, they should last for at least 10 years. the key is making sure the humidity in your humi is at a constant, which is hard to do because most people use refillable humidifiers, which makes the conditions in your humidor yo-yo from 75% - 50% back and forth, if not under a watchful eye. this causes the cigars to dry out and then rehumidify, and everytime they do this they lose oils, essentially losing tastes.

i keep all my sticks at 67% at around 72F 24/7 - i use a machine to regulate the humidity so it doesn't yo-yo. but they have packs now that don't need to be refilled. google humidipak if your interested.

I think it's all about the oils in the tobacco. Once those are gone, or diminished, you're screwed. You can always add moisture, but you can't replace the oils. :)

That's what I've always heard. Once you lose the oils the cigar is pretty much shot.

Eric