• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Some of you guys were right

theorangeman

I got a Colibri torch from cbid (yes Lee, the devil :angry: ) a few weeks ago for about 37 bucks and the very first day I had issues with it. I returned it for another one, and it worked wonderfully for 3 weeks, until last night. Now the thing just has a mind of its own; only works occasionally. I'm returning this sucker on Monday and I am officially done with Colibri. The whole point in me spending 37 bucks on a torch was that I thought I was getting one of the best (premium) lighters available. Well, although their marketing will tell ya' that, my experience will tell me otherwise.

For now on, I'll just settle with $10 torches - that way, when one stops working, not too much of a problem at that price.

Now I just hope that the Xikar cutter that I just bought fairs better for me!

I have been using this torch for abour 2 yrs. and I luv it.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cf...tnumber=372-212
372-212m.jpg

for $12.00 shipped you cant go wrong!

I just got one in the mail today from the devil site :) Looks like it's really nice quality and was still made in Germany. I'll try it out tonight for my Friday night ride home smoke (tonights a Gurka Regent).

I've found Colibri's to be very temperamental. You have to bleed them fully before trying to refill them. And when you do refill them, you have to hold them fully upright (not on an angle). If you don't do this, they act up royally. You might try these steps before giving up on it altogether, but it is a big hassle for the most part.

I decided a while back to forget the torches that only last a few months and got a Dupont Extend for a buck and a quarter! Best lighter I ever had...

Before going through 3 or 4 torches, save the money and buy a Dupont! :thumbs:

Hmmmm... bleed them before filling them - new one to me (how on earth is someone supposed to know this?) Well, I haven't sent it back yet so what the heck, I'll give it a try. I really like the Colibri (when it worked) so I hope bleeding it will make it work!

Question about refilling them - I'm always confused whether fuel is getting into the torch (sometimes I don't hear anything). The bottle states to press firmly down for 4-5 seconds, release, and do again. Is this really necessary - doing this step over and over versus just holding down until it's full?

Everyone says Colibri lighters are not that good.

However I have had mine for two years and still no problems. I guess I got one of the good ones. I have to admit mt $10.00 torch lighters work just as well. I also think they hold mire butane.

Dave at Smoker's World in Englewood says Colibri's are the best lighter....for about a year. This may be coming true for me. My son got me a nice one for Christmas last year, nice smooth edges, good in the pocket, single flame. Now it is tempermental. I find if I adjust the flame down and then back up it works well again. We'll see.

But I will have to keep it forever so it better last.

And you do have to bleed any refillable occasionally in my experience.

Im tellin ya, colibris are pure JUNK...every one ive had has taken a crap on me within 2 months of owning them. There are a lucky few that have had ones that work well...those who should start playing the lottery! :p

Best lighter ive EVER bought...

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Disp...temnumber=42099

It aint pretty or flashy like those 100+ dollar lighters, but its hands down the best and fastest way to get a good, even light. Ive had mine for about a year now and it hasnt failed me once...and i use the snot out of it...not just for lighting cigars either. Works great for starting the bar-b-que, lighting campfires, soldering, and tons of other stuff.

I have a Trifecta and another that i got when I bought a box of Indina Tabac cigars some years ago.

Both are tempermental as hell, bleeding and flame adjustment does help but they aren't reliable imho....

Repeat after me......Dupont Extend.... :laugh:

I've got a Trifecta also as a gift a couple of years ago and have never had any trouble with it, except for the amount of fuel it goes through.

But on the other hand I've got three Colibri's in a junk box that didn't make it more than a month each.

I just bought a Xikar lighter in gunmetal. Very nice to look at and has worked very good. It also has a lifetime warranty...they guarantee that if it breaks...they will fix it within 7 days. Nice! :thumbs: Also, when I registered my cutter with them...they sent me a nice "Thank you" letter and a leather case for the cutter. Great service.

-Fetter

i have a colibri and it has yet to fail on me. torches are for lighting crack, buy a normal lighter, toast and light, it wont fail you. ultimately its all for show and stature. fire is fire, whether its from a five hundred dollar st dupont or your frat buddies ass.

I didn't believe it either when people told me, and bought a couple.... they are all broken. Crap, IMHO.

theorangeman said:
I got a Colibri torch from cbid (yes Lee, the devil :angry: ) a few weeks ago for about 37 bucks and the very first day I had issues with it. I returned it for another one, and it worked wonderfully for 3 weeks, until last night. Now the thing just has a mind of its own; only works occasionally. I'm returning this sucker on Monday and I am officially done with Colibri. The whole point in me spending 37 bucks on a torch was that I thought I was getting one of the best (premium) lighters available. Well, although their marketing will tell ya' that, my experience will tell me otherwise.

For now on, I'll just settle with $10 torches - that way, when one stops working, not too much of a problem at that price.

[snapback]243098[/snapback]​

I have been smoking "something or other" for the past 20 years. This is the best $10 lighter you can buy. Half the lighter is the tank. I have 2 now. 1 in the car and 1 in my pocket. If I had $120 to blow, it would be the extend but for now this will have to do.

I bought a colibri in London a few years ago and it still works but the paint wore off after a few months. It looks hideous. Every other one has busted after a short time. I even had that flourecent green quantum that had the rubber web cover? Still have it, broken in a drawer. Why do i keep that shit? :angry:

cigarlighter.jpg

Hello all,

I have had no problems with my eBay purchased Colibri Triplex
QTR332001.jpg
that were not explained and remedied by following the troubleshooting and operating instruction booklet that came with my lighter. The enclosed booklet is basically the same as this on-line version.

I had been warned by others that a key element in having a trouble-free experience with any of the tri-flame and platinum catalyzer lighters, was to use only a top-of-line 3-5 times filtered fuel. I have used only quintuple refined Vector Fuel in all of my torch lighters, so far so good. Bleeding the tank prior to filling and waiting a while after filling has proven to be a big help in eliminating any intermittent lighting problems.

Well, to my surprise, after following some of your guys' suggestions about bleeding the tank before refilling, the Colibri is back in business! How in the heck was I supposed to know this?? Glad you guys pointed this out so I don't throw out future torches when the remedy might be this simple.

Lee said:
I have a Trifecta and another that i got when I bought a box of Indina Tabac cigars some years ago.

Both are tempermental as hell, bleeding and flame adjustment does help but they aren't reliable imho....

Repeat after me......Dupont Extend.... :laugh:
[snapback]243192[/snapback]​

Lee,

Is this the Dupont you are recommending? $91 with free shipping.