• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Some thoughts on revamping dried out tobacco

Dios de Fuego

My drive to crazy isn't far.
So, I'm trying to revamp some dried out pipe tobacco in a timely manner. I have, in the past, gone the humidor high humidity route, but it takes a while. I was considering soaking it in some water for a couple seconds, and then leaving it out to dry out, not as dry as before of course. Has anyone tried this, or does anyone have another method they prefer??

I put it in a large bowl and cover the bowl with a wet paper towel. Not dripping wet, mind you, but a bit wetter than damp. :)

If it's a tin's worth or so this will usually do the trick in a day or so, sometimes a few hours depending on how dry it is and conditions.

Anything that wets the tobacco directly will make it difficult to control the moisture level of the overall sample. I think slow is better, but it doesn't have to take a real long time. Pipe tobacco is more "durable" than cigars in that regard.

The temp. of the water won't matter cause it going to be room temp. by the time it's done the job.

The temp. of the water won't matter cause it going to be room temp. by the time it's done the job.

Yeah, that. :)

I just use the spray bottle I have for my humidor beads, so it's room temperature to begin with, but I don't think the temp matters much with the method I use because the water never actually comes into contact with the tobacco.

Thanks, I'll give it a shot. I wonder if hot water will work even better because the heat should raise the humidity even higher.