• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Sore throats & cigars

rnccen

I don't have a title
Anyone ever get a sore throat after smoking a cigar? I smoked a Partagas Black Label..after I finished it, I began to have a sore throat...now I am still trying to get rid of it with medication & lozenges.

This happen to anyone else? any cures?

-P-

Just wondering if you smoke everyday or not. I smoked may'be 2 or 3 a week and don't have that problem. ???

Drink a beverage while you smoke. It will help with the dryness in the back of your throat. Also, stop deep throating the darn thing! :sign: :sign: :D :D

I've had a Partagas Black label in the Coolerdor for almost 2 months now. Although it smells rich, there is also a scent to it that smells "chemical" and not entirely natural. I have been test sniffing it every 2 weeks or so as it looks soo tasty with that super dark oily wrapper. After reading your post I think I will just let the sucker sit at least 6 months more before giving it a try.

Matt

Of course, the two things may not be related. Have another and see if the problem reoccurs. If it does, send me all those nasty cigars you have left. :p

your suppose to take the cello wrap and cedar sleeve off before ya light it up

Partagas Blacks are pretty good smokes, I'd say it has nothing to do with the cigar. It may have been something simple like sinuses bothering you at the time. Not enough for you to notice, but enough for the smoke to aggrivate. It may also be how often you smoke, or your experience level with maduro's. My worst sore throat was with my first maduro I ever had, lasted a day or two. Now I rarely have a cigar bother me and if I do it's usually that my sinuses are acting up on me. Ofcourse I could avoid cigars at times like that, but that would be wrong. :)

Actually I'd say with a Partagas Black your lucky a sore throat is all you got.LMAO :p

Sounds like you may have had some young tobacco in the blend. A lot of times it's called "green" tasting.... kinda harsh feeling usually right in the back of the throat. It usually goes away after awhile. It's not too common but it does happen.... sometimes a leaf just doesn't ferment like the rest of 'em and it gets in the filler blend. At least it's a lot less common now than it used to be from 1994 - 1997... during the "boom" years the quality suffered in everyone's rush to get their cigars to the market.

Aloha,

Wade

txmatt said:
Although it smells rich, there is also a scent to it that smells "chemical" and not entirely natural.
Every Partagas Black Label I've had has had to be wiped three or four times to remove the tar from the end as I smoked it. They do smell a little "chemically" because they are so rich and tarry. I know not all rich cigars smell that way, but these do (in my experiences.) So, it could be the extra chemicals, tar, and strength that did it. I agree with the statement of drinking something. Every adult should drink at least a gallon of water a day but especially if you smoke. It'll help flush the toxins from your body.

Those are one of my favorite cigars, can't say that I've had the same problem with them though. ??? Could it be that you are perhaps inhaling accidentally? Sometimes I do that when I inhale on a tight draw cigar and somehow laugh/choke while inhalingor exhaling. Just a theory. ??? It could also be that you are inhaling second-hand smoke.

For what it's worth (not much, I know) I went on a bit of a "bender" last week since the wife was out of town. I averaged 2 a day (crazy, I know :D) through Sunday. Now, all this week the back of my throat has been really really dry. Related, maybe maybe not.

YMMV

Nic