• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Sosa Cigars

rob300c

The Big Noobowski
Hey all... another question for our collective group knowledge!

I was in Vegas this summer and smoked a Sosa Pyramid #2. I was very impressed with the cigar so I picked up a box. The bands on the box are different from the cigar I bought, even though it is the same vitola. I did some research and I'm pretty confident that they are the same cigars with different bands. The only other pyramid is the SuperSelection which is a dark maduro

SOSA.png
original band design on single

sosa.gif
on cigars in box

If they changed the bands, when? Which are the older cigars?

Or did I f*&^ up and bought a different cigar...

Thanks guys!

-Rob

PS. Anyone try the Sosa SuperSelections?

I used to buy Sosas all the time. Thought they had a similar flavor profile to the La Gloria Cubanas. Anyway, the band I remember buying was a simple brown band. They went to the fancy gold-foil band in your post after these. Don't know if this helps, but it is all the insight I can provide.

cigardawg said:
I used to buy Sosas all the time. Thought they had a similar flavor profile to the La Gloria Cubanas. Anyway, the band I remember buying was a simple brown band. They went to the fancy gold-foil band in your post after these. Don't know if this helps, but it is all the insight I can provide.
[snapback]276720[/snapback]​

Your insight is much appreciated!
Any idea on the year they switched?

-Rob

Ah geez. It was years ago. I would have to say around 2000 or 2001. My best guess, though. ???

cigardawg said:
Ah geez. It was years ago. I would have to say around 2000 or 2001. My best guess, though. ???
[snapback]276736[/snapback]​

I guess I picked up some aged Sosas!

Thanks again,
Rob

Those little brown bands used to appear on some really old Sosa's. I mean that's going way back in the way back machine. I have some from probably 1994 or 1995. But, they've started bringing them back now. You can go into Macabi cigars here in Miami right in Little Havana (by Versaille, on 8th Street/Calle Ocho) and they have possibly the largest Sosa selection I've ever seen. Possibly that's because they are part of the Sosa family. But I still have some of the original old-school Sosa bands that I've saved (actually I have boxes and boxes filled with the labels of almost every cigar I ever smoked...still don't entirely know why I'm keeping them, but it's habit now after this many years and, of course, some of them are from cigars that went the way of the do-do bird).

They have some other plain brown ones (that have been around awhile) that look like this:

2d.jpg

sosa-b.jpg

There's another label I have of theirs I can't recall off-hand right now from where I'm at...but I'm almost positive I've got it stashed somewhere. But, generally, what you find of theirs is:

SosaCollectionCigars.jpg

Great cigars. Has always been one of my favorite cigars ever since I started smoking them. Very, very nice guys too. Funny, but once when I was up in NYC, walking around Little Italy with a buddy of mine, we hit some cigar shop that was really pretty bad/sad, but the one thing that they had that was great were a few choice Sosas. :thumbs:

Edited for spelling

I loved the sosa #2s with the brown bands on the left. I think they chaged the blend with the band. I know this is the wrong room but if anyone has any they'd be willing to part with or trade for pm me.