• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Southern folk . . . thought heat would be the problem

dulaney22

Banned
But dang, the outside humidity is a beast. I've moved my coolers beside a vent and they stay about 67. However, the dang humidity keeps wanting to push over 70. In the winter I could just open the door for a couple minutes but now I can't when the humidity in my house is 85.

What do you guys do . . . remove all the beads or try to keep drier ones in there?

Also, Robbie's review yesterday mentioned how anything larger than a PC in the Miami summer turned spongy. I noticed this yesterday with a BRC. By the time I was half done, it was almost like loose play dough. It's pretty irritating, considering I've been waiting on the prettier days to smoke.

Thoughts?

Hey Lee, just down the road from you in Starkville ;)

My problem is mainly temperature. I have a 150ct glasstop humidor (and not an overly fancy/expensive one at that, it's from CI) with some 65% beads and my humidity holds steady at 66-67. I'll credit that to the beads because if I take my hygrometer out and test the humidity in my apartment its 70 or over. Got the humidity in check, now I just need a cool spot in my apartment to keep the temp down!

Jeff

I really haven't had a problem with my temp/humidity in my humis or cooler. In the summer my humis stay about 68% and 72 degrees. My cooler stays rock steady at 65% at about 70 degrees. It's during the winter that I encounter my problems. my desktops will dip down to about 50 something percent and I play the devil trying to even it back out. My cooler stays solid though. My two cents would be to put some bone dry beads in there to soak up some of the humidity, and see if that helps any. Also might try a little weather stripping around the lid to get a better seal.

My humidity and temp stay fairly constant in my little wine fridge. The only problem I have is when the power blinks and it resets to the lowest temp possible and dries things out a bit.

Edit for fast typing mistakes.

Q, I'm a dumbass . . . didn't even consider the seal issue . . . just taking for granted that a cooler keeps a seal. It's the only one that seems to do it, but it's the one I started with and it stayed constant during the winter. My other cooler is staying about 67% and my desktop is fine. I should have thought of that, since it's the only one.

Only other thing is it is full and the other cooler is only about half full. I don't know if that plays a part or not?

Only other thing is it is full and the other cooler is only about half full. I don't know if that plays a part or not?

I wouldn't think so... When I first started my cooler, I only had like 3 boxes in it. (90qt Igloo Cube) No it's practically full, and the humidity never fluctuated. Whether it had 2 empty boxes (while seasoning it) or 12 boxes (like I do now) the beads kept it at a solid 65%.

If you need to dry out some beads, you might try putting them near an AC vent, since the air coming out of it should be pretty dry. Putting them in your fridge might work too since they tend to pull the moisture out of the air when they cool...

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Hair dryer would probably be the best thing. I've read you can put them in the oven at the lowest setting but I think the hair dryer would be the easiest thing.

I've done the hair dryer approach. It was annoying because you can quickly overshoot your desired dryness, or at least I did. I thought the fullness of you humidor/cooler (should be on the same principles) effected the ability to stabilize after opening, not so much the actual ability to hold it stable. Example, a fuller humidor will reset to the desired RH faster than an empty one. It may also play some role in holding humidity as the sticks themselves are dynamic, both absorbing and releasing moisture.

My problem is mainly temperature. I have a 150ct glasstop humidor (and not an overly fancy/expensive one at that, it's from CI) with some 65% beads and my humidity holds steady at 66-67. I'll credit that to the beads because if I take my hygrometer out and test the humidity in my apartment its 70 or over. Got the humidity in check, now I just need a cool spot in my apartment to keep the temp down!

Jeff

Jeff, we need to get a herf together. James is over in Oxford and I'm sure there are some Memphis brothers around.

I just pray you're not a State fan. :cool:

James PM'd me awhile back about getting something together in May or June. My wife is the State alumni, so I guess that makes me guilty by association :laugh:

Jeff

Jeff, we need to get a herf together. James is over in Oxford and I'm sure there are some Memphis brothers around.

I just pray you're not a State fan. :cool:

My wife is the State alumni, so I guess that makes me guilty by association laugh.gif

You are both Tiger bait.

I wonder if putting new, dry beads in your humi would absorb the humidity. They are designed to absorb as well as humidify to a specific RH.

I wonder if putting new, dry beads in your humi would absorb the humidity. They are designed to absorb as well as humidify to a specific RH.

Before adding the stripping (which I am still gonna do), that's exactly what I did and now I'm at 67% and holding steady. Hairdryer to beads worked well for drying them out. :)

I wouldn't think so... When I first started my cooler, I only had like 3 boxes in it. (90qt Igloo Cube) No it's practically full, and the humidity never fluctuated. Whether it had 2 empty boxes (while seasoning it) or 12 boxes (like I do now) the beads kept it at a solid 65%.

Interesting because my 65% beads stayed at 67/68% for about a month and now its up to 71 and I cannot understand why. I am pretty sure the seals tight so I am at a lose on this one.

It's very important to calibrate your hydrometer often. I usually do it to mine every three months. The seal on your storage device is critical as well. I never open a door in my house during the summer here. The humidity will cause major issues. In a couple of weeks pretty much all my smoking will be at the local B&M's. I keep my coolers in my air conditioned attic. I know that sounds nutz but that is the best part of my house to keep cool. Many of the vents in my house are kept closed and the temperature up there is a stable 68 degrees while the rest of the house remains at a constant 72. From what I understand the beads should always have the ability to take in excess humidity if they are properly seasoned. I only have around half of the beads clear and the other half white and they perform at a perfect 65 rh. I always keep my coolers full with empty boxes to reduce the airspace but this has not been a problem lately at all since mine are busting.