• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Star in a Reasonably Priced Car Pass

Received package today.

Sticks look good and humidifier looks fine.

Marco, do you or someone else have one of those price comparison spreadsheets set up so that I could figure it out? I have several takes I'm looking at but need to look through the clockidor for my puts. I'm going to use some that I have from the local B&M that I sent you the link to. They turned out to be not too bad, at least as far as this newb knows.

Kevin, Check out Holts and Cigar International for pricing, they seem to be the the best for pricing.

Google the cigar and look at the first few links for price...take an average(after you get use to which sites are the right ones).

Avoid 'sale' prices when averaging.

Better yet...look at the manufacturer site for MSRP.

Ok, here I go.

1. Take #1 5 Vegas Classic "55" ($3.00)
Put #59 Joya de Nicaragua Celebracion Consul ($3.00)

2. Take #11 CAO MX2 Robusto ($3.50)
Put #60 Rare Corojo Punch Magnum ($3.20)

3. Take #14 Cuesta-Rey Centenario Aristocrat ($4.64)
Put #61 Argenese Figuardo Maduro ($5.00)

4. Take #33 Perdomo Reserve Cameroon R ($4.00)
Put #62 Joya de Nicaragua Antano 1970 Consul ($4.00)

5. Take #37 Rocky Patel Sungrown Robusto ($5.00)
Put #68 Reyes Family Premier Toro ($5.95)

6. Take #40 Cusano 18 Robusto ($4.44)
Put #63 601 Green Tronco ($4.54)

7. Take #46 RP Old World Reserve ($5.00)
Put #64 601 Blue Toro ($5.00)

8. Take #47 Avo LE08 ($9.00)
Put #67 Camacho Triple Maduro ($9.00)

9. Take #52 52. CAO L'Anniversaire Cameroon Toro ($5.45)
Put #65 Cx2 Belicoso ($5.04)

10. Take #54 Oliva Series "O" Torpedo Habano Wraper ($4.00)
Put #66 Padilla 68 Toro ($4.90)
#5 is the only one I would question. A dollar overput may be a little steep...jmo. The first post didn't say if there was a limit and I'm not sure what the "norm" is. Also, my calc. say #10 is only off by about $.50, not $.90. Other than that, they look great! You sure you don't want a few more p/t's?? :D

Derek

One important thing to consider looking at the puts and takes is the big picture. Yes, he's almost a dollar over on #5, however he's also short on a few as well. Overall these puts and takes are balanced.

Within reason, it's best to always send the pass off in as good shape or better than you rec'd it.

#5 does seem to be high. I hope no one pays that amount for the cigar.
Twice now I have seen them on sale at CIJoe for $2.50.
Reyes Family premier is perfect for this PASS, can be found cheap and very tasty.
But I have no problem if you want me to remove it.

Just let me know.

One important thing to consider looking at the puts and takes is the big picture. Yes, he's almost a dollar over on #5, however he's also short on a few as well. Overall these puts and takes are balanced.

Within reason, it's best to always send the pass off in as good shape or better than you rec'd it.
I knew someone could shed some light on my newbness. This makes my P/T's a little easier now...I've been stressing a little trying to get everything within a quarter. ??? Thank you for the insight, Gonz! :thumbs:

Derek

I come in and the thing that I wanted to post has already been discussed. Yes, approved - on balance that's a very good set of p/t's, and gives a lot of variety for the next participants to pick from. Well done.

Yes I'm ready. Ever since we went on winter shifts I haven't had a day off (about a month). I worked on P/T's last night at work ;)
I'm napping now, I'll post them later. I do have questions so you guys all get ready to help the newb with price comparisons. I couldn't find some of them listed at CI or Famous. I also have a local shop that I'm hoping some of you will enjoy as much as I did. More after a nap.

You can also use Holt's or Top25cigar.com's review database, where they list the "avg. price paid" or sometimes the msrp. Regardless of what you use, be sure to compare the put and the take at the same site instead of the price of a take at one site vs. the price of your put at another site.

Do most online retailers reflect their states tax on cigars? Meaning if I compare a Texas-run site versus one in California, would the prices reflect the taxation of the state, but comparable cigars should be listed within the same cost range? Let me know if this question doesn't make any sense.

Okay, this is going to be interesting...

Last update: 12/26/08 9:15pm

I can't find anything on the following for prices...

- The Partagas maduro robusto (probably not looking up right)
- Angel 100 1961
- Flor de Cano (again, probably not looking up right)
- Astal

Okay, here is a partial P/T, prices from top25cigar.com

Take: # 16 Flor de Gonzales
Put: Changed to: La Cabana "Lil Crojo" wrapper: crojo (their term not mine) Binder and Filler: nicaraguan (this will be acceptable according to what Marco and I spoke about. The price of the FdG and the lil crojo aren't very far off.

Take: #18 Gran Habano VL toro ($6)
Put: La Cabana maduro torpedo ($6) http://www.lacabanacigars.com/

Take: #35 Plasencia Reserva robusto ($5)
Put: Lac Cabana connecticut torpedo ($5)

Take: #7 Astral churchill ($3)
Put: Cruz Real lonsdale nat wrapper ($4), a little spicy for me but not a bad smoke IMO (as a newb)

Take: #6 Angel 100 1961 ($3)
Put: RP connecticut ($4) these are my goto smoke, this batch is always good draw, nice and mild with a little flavor and nice smoke, a no brainer for when I want to just chill. I got these on special so the put may be a little high but I paid $2 a piece for 20

Take: #42 La Flor de Cano ($3)
Put: Padron londres maduro ($3) I love these, quick smoke and always consistent

Take: Partagas Naturales Maduro ($3)
Put: La Cabana panatella 7x38 sumatra wrapper, binder and filler Nicaragua ($3.75)

Added:

Take: 601 blue toro ($5)
Put: La Cabana Cameroon box press, Binder: cuban seed habano, Filler (Nicaraguan) ($5.75), thought the cameroon freak may enjoy if it makes it back to him ;)

Okay, I could go on and on but that's it! The La Cabana's I'm still going through there line but as of yet I haven't had one with a poor draw any burn problems, interesting flavors. So far so good with them.

I'll edit this post to update and change as needed.

I'm going to have to toss one put for flagrant over ...

The Flor de Gonzalez is the white label and is a long-filler stick made in Nicaragua. Anyhow, it's about $2 if you can find it, but you won't find it anywhere online; the mixed filler green label is widely available, and you can track down the made in Miami flagship at a few online vendors. Read the cigarcyclopedia review as well as mine to see if you might like it.

The other ones you couldn't find a listing for because not all of them are presently available - one in particular, the Angel 100, was a single-year stick that never went into wide distribution. But I'll put a round-dollar price on them based on my recollection of the purchase price.

Astral Churchill - $2
Partagas Naturales Maduro - $3
La Flor de Cano (Hon) Short Churchill - $3
Angel 100 1961 - $3

Now, lay down some serious p/t-age :)

Most online retailers don't reflect state tax, as far as I know. They will add it to your tab if they're shipping in state, but they're not required to (and as far as I know, they're unable to) collect tax on out of state transactions.

You are technically supposed to report and pay tax for purchases from out of state vendors, but I've only heard of NJ trying to actually enforce it. And only for one retailer, which appears to be sharing its purchase records with the state.

I think this is a very good question. I know that state sales tax is not included in the price if the retailer ships out of state. But what about the state tobacco tax? Is this added to the price by the distributor the retailer buys from? In other words, does a retailer in Tennessee pay less for the same product than a retailer in Taxifornia due to the different tobacco tax rates in different states.

For price comparison purposes it would be a wash as long as the same retailer was used for the prices on the puts and takes.