• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Storing cigars for a few months away question

razageorge

Hey all,

I will be leaving the house for a few months and have a tupperdore full of cigars. What would be the best way to store/humidify while being gone? Thanks.

Hey all,

I will be leaving the house for a few months and have a tupperdore full of cigars. What would be the best way to store/humidify while being gone? Thanks.

I would use Humidipaks

I would use Humidipaks

Thanks. I already have the heartfelt beads and was wondering if just leaving the beads in there be sufficient without having to resort to the humidpaks?

My experience is this.....

It's never good to leave your sticks for that long...but if you MUST, I would suggest using your beads AND humi-packs. Your cigars should be reasonable...it's the best you're gunna get.

Your local B&M might store them for you, a couple local shops here will do it for free.

Hey all,

Welcome to CP. Head over to the Intro forum and introduce yourself, and fill your profile out a little.

If your house is humid, dry the beads out before you leave.

If it is dry, add a little extra distilled water before you leave.

If your house is humid, dry the beads out before you leave.

If it is dry, add a little extra distilled water before you leave.

Simple, but sage advice. Since the tupper will be sealed the whole time, you'll have nothing to worry about. Put the tupper in a cool dark place, though.

Hey all,

The safest way to store cigars is to have someone watch them. Just send them to me. I will take care of them like they were my babies.

But seriously, I would over-compensate with more humdification devices than what you will need... more beads, more humicare bags, more gel, etc... whatever you normally use, just use MORE. Also be sure to store the entire unit in a dark, cool place, out of sunlight (preferably as low of an elevation in your house as possible). Remember that you'll be gone during the summer, so the things that you normally do to regulate temperature (turn on the AC, turn on a fan, open the windows, etc) won't be present. So plan ahead in terms of both humidity and temperature.

But seriously, I would over-compensate with more humdification devices than what you will need... more beads, more humicare bags, more gel, etc... whatever you normally use, just use MORE.

I don't intend to be argumentative, but I strongly disagree with this. It the container has any kind of decent seal (and it doesn't even have to be perfectly airtight), it's going to be fine on it's own for a few months.

Over-doing it will likely lead to coming back home to a bunch of sticks with mold on them.

Just follow tmoney2007's advice: humid house = dry out the beads; dry house = add a *little* extra water - with emphasis on little.