• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Storing open distilled water?

BKSinAZ

This might seem like a silly question, but once a bottle (2 gallons in my case) has been opened, does it need to be refrigerated if keeping long term? I am sure it will take a long long time to use up that much distilled water in my hummy! hahahaha

For what it's worth, I've never refrigerated mine and have never experienced any problems.

What's a "Hummy"? :laugh:

Just put the bottle away and forget about it. I go through about a gallon a year and never do anything special.

It's just water... shouldn't need any special storage other than keeping the lid on the jug and making sure nothing gets into the bottle. Mine sits on a shelf at home.

As long as it's kept at a constant 100% RH you'll be fine. :)

Cap it up and leave it away from direct sunlight, and you'll be fine.

...so what's a gallon of DI cost at the grocery store, a buck or two? If you think it's getting funky, pour it out and get some new DI.

Pretty cheap when you consider the value of the cigars it's humidifying, IMHO...... :whistling:

...so what's a gallon of DI cost at the grocery store, a buck or two? If you think it's getting funky, pour it out and get some new DI.

Pretty cheap when you consider the value of the cigars it's humidifying, IMHO...... :whistling:

Couldn't have put it any better! :) I just make sure to leave it out of direct sunlight, as Rod stated, to keep any critters from growing in it.

Make ice cubes out of it. Then when you're ready, just take a cube or two out at a time, place in your humi and you've solved the humidity issue and keeping your stuff cool.

:D

Cap it up and leave it away from direct sunlight, and you'll be fine.

Thanks for the advice! But, I used my hygrometer to check to see the humidity of my water and now it won't work anymore. Does anyone know what could be the problem?

Rod, would a submersible hygrometer be suitable for this purpose? :laugh:

I would advise putting two waterproof hygro's in there to ensure proper RH. Be sure to salt test them first to ensure an accurate reading.

It's water, you're joking right? ???
I believe he is Justin, as evidenced by the numerous "ha's" placed at the end of his proper sentence, with no general punctuation or meaning.

Clearly, as shown above, he is a jovial person who writes on the internet as he speaks in real life. Therefore, by my powers of investigatory assumption and general awesomeness, I find it plausible that he ends nearly every sentence with an undetermined amount of "haha's." For example (or, por ejemplo):

"Thank you, I will take the beef sandwich. hahahaha"

"I'm sorry, but no. This is not my pet gerbil. hahahaha."

"I would gladly take something to drink with my side of hummy. hahahaha"

No need to refrigerate, just make sure you put the cap back on and be sure not to drink from the bottle. Distleed water tastes bad.

It's water, you're joking right? ???
I believe he is Justin, as evidenced by the numerous "ha's" placed at the end of his proper sentence, with no general punctuation or meaning.

Clearly, as shown above, he is a jovial person who writes on the internet as he speaks in real life. Therefore, by my powers of investigatory assumption and general awesomeness, I find it plausible that he ends nearly every sentence with an undetermined amount of "haha's." For example (or, por ejemplo):

"Thank you, I will take the beef sandwich. hahahaha"

"I'm sorry, but no. This is not my pet gerbil. hahahaha."

"I would gladly take something to drink with my side of hummy. hahahaha"

I tried adding "hahahaha" to the end of my sentences yesterday. I made it 3 sentences before my wife threatened to turn me into a eunuch.

Make ice cubes out of it. Then when you're ready, just take a cube or two out at a time, place in your humi and you've solved the humidity issue and keeping your stuff cool.

Actually thats not a bad idea......

I think I might try that one for real....

Actually thats not a bad idea......

I think I might try that one for real....

Ice cubes stored in the freezer which are among other frozen items tend to take on those flavors, so be sure to keep your distilled cubes by themselves; you wouldn't want them marrying with trout.

I never thought we'd be having a conversation on how to properly store distilled water. :D

Now, if it's smoked salmon flavored distilled water, that's a whole different story.