• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

studyin' rye whiskey

mitchshrader

Seems like there's a huge gap between the 'standard fare' which is young, good value, and findable.. mostly.. and the top shelf rye at more generally 50-100$ range.. Not much in the 10-12 year old, 100 proof range at all.. Which'd be about the sweet spot for a full grown rye. There's not a lot of purpose OTHER than the accident of market trends and available supplies to age past a dozen years or so..

And, in fact, there's exactly ONE malted rye, Old Portrero, which will, we hope, eventually get all grown up and be a decent booze.. say, around 7 or 8 years old.... instead of the 3-4 year old that's findable now..

Now, I'm a firm believer in malted grain. This may not be terribly economical, and may not suit or match many folks idea of traditional, but it's something you just DO to handmade booze. It changes the taste, it sweetens it, drying the malt adds smoke sometimes, and caramelizes a bit of the malt sugars if toasted properly, and overall is another layer of complexity in the final product.. So.. given that you did it RIGHT.. malting the grain is a labor intensive way to improve flavor of the new made spirit. It'd matter most, I guess, for something intended to be drank immediately. :)

Charred oak doesn't filter out taste, it adds sweet flavors, and a shade of smoke to balance it. Whisky is Flavored by casking.. that's a given. Now, pretty obviously if it tastes different to start with, it's going to CHANGE differently too. You'll wind up with a different flavor profile at the far end. Smoother, harsher, deeper, lighter, SOME thing will change.. The temp of the warehouse, and the variation in the temp, and the strength of the spirit, also have much to do with it.. but those are less immediately relevant than the recipe and still.

Now, Folks talk about 'American' whiskey, and brag, and there's just not a ton of handmade malted booze out there. Most whiskey is made machine style, and some of it is done with great care, but very very little is 'single grain, malted' and then aged properly. Which, I was hoping to find, a malted rye, aged, so I could get 'good old' rye whiskey..

Now, unmalted grain is just flat less complex. It hasn't had the starches converted to sugar and the little baby bud start to break out and then be tenderly toasted till it's golden brown..

and what little malted CORN whiskey there is, you almost have to marry somebody to get a drink of.. fact, that'd be about as good a way as I can imagine.

Now, I profess Great Ignorance, of what malted booze might exist. I never knew scotch much, and bourbon less, and just Now finding out about irish.. (is there some LAW they have to make it 80 proof? cheapskate buggers) ..

But where in the world is 10-20 year old booze, made from malted grain, heck, i'd even settle for MIXED malted grain, that is Not Scotch?

Sazerac Rye (18) seems like it'd be closest to the taste I am hoping for.. and Old Portrero 125 proof is Headed in the right direction, give it some years.. at 100 proof and 10 years old i'd probably stock up.

So.. anybody know of bottled in bond, real tasty, with a lot of maltyness? That isn't restricted to 4 bottles per state?
And isn't made in Scotland? And is old enough to get into high school?

Rye is ok, REAL fancy malty sweet old bourbon might be, irish might.. it's the taste.. :blush:

While there is some older Rye available (Classic Cask 22, Sazerac 18, Hirsch 21, Black Maple Hill 18 etc etc) there are only a couple of ones in the 10 yo range. Since they have to have at least 51% Rye in the mash bill that doesn't leave a lot for your malted grains. I have all of the ones I memtioned and none strike me as particularly malty and none are bottled in bond either.

Bourbon, on the other hand, has to be at least 51% corn in the mash bill and again that doesn't leave much for other malted grains. Have you tried any of the Scots grain whiskey like Carsebridge or North British? Compas Box makes one called HEDONISM which is available in the US and is supposed to be pretty good although I've not had any. One reviewer wrote of it: "A vatted grain whisky from John Glaser's 'Compass Box' - a delicious combination of Caledonian and Cambus grain whiskies aged between 12 and 23 years old. It has a classic vanilla ice cream, toffee and cocoa character. Superb stuff."

Good luck in your search.

I've been holding off on the Compass box stuff, chasing rarities and unknowns, the scavenger hunt syndrome.. :)

but I'll admit the unpeated ones are on my list.. I really want to try that scotch & orange peel liqueur sometime with the right company.. :)

I just get frustrated when there's such HUGE gaps in whisky making styles, due to the differing traditions and legal systems..

they don't do nearly enough single grains in Scotland, far as public awareness, though that's changing..

and the US lost much of the skill and variety in whiskey making due to both Prohibition, and the second world war.. they basically left the industry starting over from scratch..

the 20th century wasn't kind to whisky makers. I've made it a personal quest to find and collect hand made booze, be it rum or rye or homemade in the woods, but yaano, I must not be the only guy that likes quality liquour..

somebody has drank a LOT of it up already.. :whistling:

Can't find the link now, but I found some site saying the 3 best ryes were (not necessarily in order): van Winkle Family Reserve, Old Potrero 19th century style, and Sazerac 18 yr old.

I was able to get the Old Potrero 18th century; having trouble finding 19th.

Ryes3x2.jpg

Who ever said that should have least put in a caveat like IMO. It is generally considered by numerous people that the Old Rip Van Winkle Old Time Rye Whiskey 12 Year Old (long out of production) was their better of the two.

I'd like to see a review of the Old Potrero as I've only had the original 3 yo 120 proof one and that didn't do much for me.