• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Super premium peer pressure

bobbyg29

I have been an off & on cigar smoker for about 2 years now. For past 3-4 months I have been smoking regularly and have been working on starting my own collection. I have a couple desktop humidors and just bought a couple of “pucks” to help get the RH right…which is a bit of a challenge living in the desert. With every new piece of info I get from cigar forums and from veterans at my local B&M my interest only grows and grows! I am loving being a BOTL.

One thing I have noticed is that there seems to be a constant lure for a newbie to try the super premiums (in particular Opus X). In the cigar smoking community it seems to be almost equivalent to losing one’s virginity!! Whenever I meet someone hanging out at a cigar lounge it seems like they will always eventually ask me….have you tried Opus or have you tried any ISOM’s. It’s almost like these are trophies that people collect. I have also witnessed several people that have been only smoking regularly for a couple months that have dropped $30+ on a single Opus X. When I watch them smoking I can’t help but wonder…would you even notice if the owner switched the label for a $2 cigar.

I am resisting this “super premium peer pressure” for several reasons:
1)At this stage I don’t think I would really appreciate these high end smokes. I know when I first started drinking scotch (and thought Glenlivet was the be-all and end-all) it would not have been worth it to splurge on the brands I drink now.
2)Why blow $$$ on one cigar when there are so many good $5-10 sticks that I haven’t tried yet.
3)I see cigar smoking as a journey for which there are many great places to visit. If I do everything now I will be cheating myself out of some great experiences to look forward to down the road.

It’s not that I can’t afford the more expensive sticks..its more that I am worried about being let down by the experience. Maybe I will just buy a couple and keep them in my humi :cool:

Would love to hear everyone else’ opinions/experiences with this….Have you noticed this same kind of pressure yourself? Do you think its worth splurging on a super-premium when you are a newbie?

Cheers,

RG

Don't believe the hype -- smoke what you like. Of course you can't know what you like until you've tried the gamut.

Don't buy the hype that you have to spend a lot of money to enjoy a cigar. Don't buy the hype that Cuban cigars are somehow "more complex" or otherwise categorically special.

It's all about your personal taste, something that is independent of country of origin, marketing literature, or price.

Absolutely. Don't drop $30 on an Opus and don't buy a few and let them sit for an occasion...SMOKE THEM! There is plenty of time to collect. You might as well know what you are collecting. I think that some super premiums can be appreciated my the new and experienced alike. Opus, Padron 64 or 26, and Diamond Crown come to mind. They have their own special flavors and nuances and are amazing without an refined palate (just as unrefined as mine :) ). There are lots of amazing Isom's to be had for $5-10 dollars that will knock your socks off. I don't think this is a hobby where you must get your up and comin's before you get to that point. Of course you will find new flavors and greater complexity as you continue down the path to the darkside but I say don't shy away from anything (if you aren't getting ripped off).

Nate

I find pressure of super premiums but not all that much. Not all, but most of the pressure I find is in a pass when a person like me, who smokes 4-8 dollar smokes, is faced with a box of cigars that are in or near the superpremium range and deciding if i only trade for the lower end smokes or go to the B&M to buy a expensive stick b/c i want to try one of the superpremiums in the pass. I dont think a pass is a place to go out and buy sticks to trade just so you can partiiccpate. I'd love to hear some feed back on that, by the way. I'm really happy with my small collection of superpremiums but more then not, i find my self enjoying the tried but true cheaper sticks which I know work like RP, Padron, Punch and AF Cheateu.

$30 would be a lot to pay for any smoke N/C or ISOM, when my store had the Opus X they were about $15. I like the 1964's for around $10, and most all of the ISOMS's were either at or just a little over $6 a piece.

I think that you're right about some people just trying to show off, they don't like smoking a cigar per se, they just think it makes them look cool, or wealthy, or because they saw a star do it. To some people it's no different than wearing gold, driving a fancy cay, buying designer clothes, etc. It always made me laugh that some people say they will only smoke Cubans but couldn't tell a fake from the real deal if it hit 'em on the head !!

I've talked to a few people at the smoke show like that, I'll ask them what they like, what they expect of a smoke, etc, and recommend some cheaper smokes. So many people are happy I recommended a Padron x000 series for $3, or an Oliva for around $3.I know some now that buy $30 bundles and are happy as can be..

I think you should smoke what you like and what you feel comfortable spending on a cigar or cigars and not worry about other peoples thoughts. At the same time no need to judge those that smoke primarly premium sticks.

I have been an off & on cigar smoker for about 2 years now. For past 3-4 months I have been smoking regularly and have been working on starting my own collection. I have a couple desktop humidors and just bought a couple of "pucks" to help get the RH right…which is a bit of a challenge living in the desert. With every new piece of info I get from cigar forums and from veterans at my local B&M my interest only grows and grows! I am loving being a BOTL.

One thing I have noticed is that there seems to be a constant lure for a newbie to try the super premiums (in particular Opus X). In the cigar smoking community it seems to be almost equivalent to losing one's virginity!! Whenever I meet someone hanging out at a cigar lounge it seems like they will always eventually ask me….have you tried Opus or have you tried any ISOM's. It's almost like these are trophies that people collect. I have also witnessed several people that have been only smoking regularly for a couple months that have dropped $30+ on a single Opus X. When I watch them smoking I can't help but wonder…would you even notice if the owner switched the label for a $2 cigar.

I am resisting this "super premium peer pressure" for several reasons:
1)At this stage I don't think I would really appreciate these high end smokes. I know when I first started drinking scotch (and thought Glenlivet was the be-all and end-all) it would not have been worth it to splurge on the brands I drink now.
2)Why blow $$$ on one cigar when there are so many good $5-10 sticks that I haven't tried yet.
3)I see cigar smoking as a journey for which there are many great places to visit. If I do everything now I will be cheating myself out of some great experiences to look forward to down the road.

It's not that I can't afford the more expensive sticks..its more that I am worried about being let down by the experience. Maybe I will just buy a couple and keep them in my humi :cool:

Would love to hear everyone else' opinions/experiences with this….1) Have you noticed this same kind of pressure yourself? 2) Do you think its worth splurging on a super-premium when you are a newbie?

Cheers,

RG

To answer your questions:

1) No. No pressure from my peers.

2) Absolutely - spend some money and SEE what the difference is among the smokes.

I would suggest looking into the Newbie Sampler Trade on this board. Tell the guy you're buying from that you want to sample some premiums and maybe they'll be able to help!!!

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which can not fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance-that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
--HERBERT SPENCER

All the FOGs will tell you to smoke what suits you. Personally, I find it difficult to grasp the concept of collecting for the purpose of owning something rare. 8 months ago, smoking nothing but the most expensive cigars was also a concept I had trouble with. In 8 months, I've gone from a Thompson 100ct to a cabinet now filled with 400 cigars. I own several premiums, mostly those I've acquired in samplers, but my most valuable cigars were given to me by Brothers here. My daily smokes range from a buck to about three bucks each. I've found several bundled cigars that I quite enjoy. Occasionally, I'll have something in the 5-8 buck range. 6 months ago, I really couldn't tell the difference, but its slowly starting to come to me.

As a teen, the standing joke was, "buy a sixpack of Falstaff, and you get 6 different beers". In some, ok most bundled cigars I've bought, I have mixed reviews. Some are harsh, some are plugged, some are not bad - and thats in one bundle. However, bundled sticks are the bulk of my daily diet. My first box split was a box of Chateau Fuente Sun Grown. There I found some consistency, both in construction and taste and for not much money. I read all the reviews and watch all the passes, taking notes. I've based my buy decisions on what I'd read and so far, haven't been disappointed.

Cigars IS a journey and I'm amazed at how fast the path is at the beginning. I've learned a bunch in the short time I've been here. Premium sticks now make up about a third of my stash. I smoke 2-4 cigars a day. After dinner, when my kiddo is in the tub, I light up a premium. Enjoy the ride, Bro!

I think that Opus X is way overated. In fact, I've decided all I'm going to smoke now are Maduro Opus, or super rare sizes of Opus.

But seriously folks, it looks like you've got a good perspective on how to gauge your tastes, and like a couple others have said, it certainly is worth trying a few of the "high end" sticks to compare to some of the less expensive ones.

But either way, hang out around here some, and get to know what certain cigars ought to be selling for in the first place so you don't go out and get ripped off on a $10 Opus for $30!

Don't let anyone pressure you into smoking anything. Smoke what you want to and enjoy it! I would encourage you to sample new cigars along the way so you can learn what is out there and educate your palate.

Samplers, 5vers, and those vendors that sell singles when you venture into the ISOM arena are great ways to go.

I agree with you entirely about newbie smokers often try to "grow up too fast". My first couple of years smoking cigars I was quite content with $1-$3 smokes and occasionally I splurged on a $5 cigar. Oh, how things have changed now. :laugh:

Back then I wouldn't have appreciated an Opus, 1926, Tatuaje, VSG, etc. It would have been a waste of money. My advice is to let your tastes dictate what you smoke rather than your desire to smoke what everyone else seems to love. That is, smoke the dollar cigars until they don't do it for you any longer and then move up from there. I wish the cheapies that I once enjoyed still did it for me. I would have a lot more cash in wallet and my wife would be happier as well I'm sure. :D

That's why the British take the band off... enjoying a good cigar has nothing to do with the cigar band. Many of my favorite smokes are in the $1-2 range. Don't get sucked in by the USA marketing machine, try a lot of different smokes, determine what you like then just take the bands off when you smoke so you don't have to worry about how others perceive you.

I agree with you entirely about newbie smokers often try to "grow up to fast". My first couple of years smoking cigars I was quite content with $1-$3 smokes and occasionally I splurged on a $5 cigar. Oh, how things have changed now. :laugh:

<snip>

I read posts like this and think of how seriously F'd I'm going to be in a couple of years. :laugh:

That's why the British take the band off... enjoying a good cigar has nothing to do with the cigar band. Many of my favorite smokes are in the $1-2 range. Don't get sucked in by the USA marketing machine, try a lot of different smokes, determine what you like then just take the bands off when you smoke so you don't have to worry about how others perceive you.

Is that coming from here? I go to England now and again on business, and I haven't noticed people taking the bands off any more or less than people do here.

Personally, I find it difficult to grasp the concept of collecting for the purpose of owning something rare.

As someone who does collect oddball cigars, let me explain it to you: it's not rational. :) It's the same as folks who collect stamps they never use to mail anything, or coins they'll never use to buy anything. Defies all logic. :)

Is that coming from here? I go to England now and again on business, and I haven't noticed people taking the bands off any more or less than people do here.

I was on a cruise a few years ago and the ship was 90% british, nobody was smoking with the band on their cigars. I asked a british fellow I met on the cruise why? He said because cigars are ment to be enjoyed by all classes and is a brotherhood that has nothing to do with financial classification. I also noticed that many Cuban cigars that were first made for the British market came in Cabs without bands at all.

I notice in Europe in general, they aren't as caught up in the marketing hype. A friend of mine in Italy has a 7 series BMW and it didn't have any model number on the back. I told him in North America there is a big difference if you have 745i, 745IL, or 760IL... he simply responded... I buy a car because the way it drives, not because of status associated with a number. I learned a lesson and I think the same thing applies to cigars.

Thanks for all the great comments guys!

I actually allready take the band off when I smoke...it just gets in my way. I could care less what others think about me when I am smoking. Same reason I have always been a jeans and t-shirt kind of guy. If you are never in style then you never go out of style. :D

And don't get me wrong if I saw a great deal on some premium smokes I would grab them in a second. Great idea about trying the newbie sampler...

I was on a cruise a few years ago and the ship was 90% british, nobody was smoking with the band on their cigars. I asked a british fellow I met on the cruise why? He said because cigars are ment to be enjoyed by all classes and is a brotherhood that has nothing to do with financial classification. I also noticed that many Cuban cigars that were first made for the British market came in Cabs without bands at all.

Interesting; definitely not what I've experienced in London.

I notice in Europe in general, they aren't as caught up in the marketing hype. A friend of mine in Italy has a 7 series BMW and it didn't have any model number on the back. I told him in North America there is a big difference if you have 745i, 745IL, or 760IL... he simply responded... I buy a car because the way it drives, not because of status associated with a number. I learned a lesson and I think the same thing applies to cigars.

Uh... I can only surmise that you don't spend much time in Europe if you think people there are not every bit as brand conscious as they are here.

He is driving a 7 series BMW, not a 3 series, he knows the difference! In the same token, many people remove the model number off the back so you don't know if they are driving a 745i or 760iL.

However, comparing cars to cigars is not exactly the same. You will note that bobbyg started off saying premiums are all hype but in his last post stated
And don't get me wrong if I saw a great deal on some premium smokes I would grab them in a second

Bottom line - sure there's a lot of hype with regard to premium smokes but there are some damn fine premium smokes around that you will, sooner or later, be torching. Call it hype, call it curiosity but most of all, call it human nature ;)

Brian

Back