• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Taboada

Infinity

Infinity - *Unbounded space, time, or quantity*
Thanks to Alan (atuck) introduction, I purchased three different sizes
rolled by Mr.Taboada.

Taboada -
Dobla Robustos,$34.00
Dom Perignone, $36.00
Gold Medal, $40.00

Are these good cigars, hell yea. Are some worth $40.00 (Gold Medal)
This is debatable! Am I paying for the mystique of the roller or
the contents of the cigar? Do the cigars taste better because they cost more?

I have and smoke some great aged ISOM's, many, 8 years plus. None of them cost anywhere near $40 a stick and mostly never disappoint, in fact, some are arguably the best ISOM's, for my pallet, that is!

What do you think? Do we sometimes get caught up in mystique and/or
notoriety and don't think when we pull out our bucks?

Brian

I am still waiting for my first one. I have a 10 pack en route, so I will let you know soon enough.

Thanks to Alan (atuck) introduction, I purchased three different sizes
rolled by Mr.Taboada.

Taboada -
Dobla Robustos,$34.00
Dom Perignone, $36.00
Gold Medal, $40.00

Are these good cigars, hell yea. Are some worth $40.00 (Gold Medal)
This is debatable! Am I paying for the mystique of the roller or
the contents of the cigar? Do the cigars taste better because they cost more?

I have and smoke some great aged ISOM's, many, 8 years plus. None of them cost anywhere near $40 a stick and mostly never disappoint, in fact, some are arguably the best ISOM's, for my pallet, that is!

What do you think? Do we sometimes get caught up in mystique and/or
notoriety and don't think when we pull out our bucks?

Brian

Yup!

In this case, I compared my buy to a 'once' in a lifetime (or at least VERY VERY infrequent) purchase.

Growing up with parents who deal with antiquities....quality and design are favored to my taste.

With something like a Taboada, I get both...or atleast 'expect' to get both.

If it is not there - well, I won't buy again...but atleast I gave myself the oppurtunity at a rare treat!

paraderain.jpg

Hopefully, my Toboadas will be in hand soon. Until then I can't say whether the smoking pleasure is worth $34.00 - $40.00. However, what I can say is that I am starting to enjoy the hobby of collecting cigars and in that respect I view these as worth every penny. :thumbs:

Absolutely! If it weren't for the rarity and mystique I would have never even given it a second thought. However, there are so many cigars that I will never get to try due to the rarity. Cuban Dunhills come to mind. This was an opportunity to try it before they are a thing of myth. After smoking only one Taboada(double robusto), I will say that I was incredibly impressed with the quality, the construction, and the flavor. These for me will be special occasion cigars. The mystique adds to that special occasion. Would I ever do it again...yup. People dump thousands into 500HP cars that they will never drive over the speed limit and I foolishly dumped almost $200 into a fiver...but it was worth every penny to me.

Nate

Now that I am turning into a Collector of Cigars for special occasions and not just to smoke, the price of a cigar means little to me anymore. When I first started I had the idea that higher the price, means it has to be way better. I found out the hard way that isnt true. So if a cigar costs me $40 a stick, its more cuz of the rarity factor than if its a awesome cigar. But if it is that good, then I get the best of both worlds at the same time. So I can have my cake and eat it too. Unfortunately the VA is giving me the run around so I couldnt take this opportunity to get even a 5 pack and very disappointed cuz the rarity of his cigars really intrigue me. :thumbs:

Absolutely! If it weren't for the rarity and mystique I would have never even given it a second thought. However, there are so many cigars that I will never get to try due to the rarity. Cuban Dunhills come to mind. This was an opportunity to try it before they are a thing of myth. After smoking only one Taboada(double robusto), I will say that I was incredibly impressed with the quality, the construction, and the flavor. These for me will be special occasion cigars. The mystique adds to that special occasion. Would I ever do it again...yup. People dump thousands into 500HP cars that they will never drive over the speed limit and I foolishly dumped almost $200 into a fiver...but it was worth every penny to me.

Nate
Very, very well said..... :thumbs:

When I got into quality cigars, the whole "collecting" aspect hadn't dawned on me. The opportunity to try new, different, and rare smokes is always something I look forward to, in addition to my regular favorites. I'm fortunate that I have the opportunity (and ability) to try one of these rare $40.00 smokes and perhaps have one now and then on very special occasions.

I think if you have to ask if they "...are worth it..." the answer for you has to be "probably not".

My $00.02 - B.B.S.

Nate
Very, very well said..... :thumbs:

When I got into quality cigars, the whole "collecting" aspect hadn't dawned on me. The opportunity to try new, different, and rare smokes is always something I look forward to, in addition to my regular favorites. I'm fortunate that I have the opportunity (and ability) to try one of these rare $40.00 smokes and perhaps have one now and then on very special occasions.

I think if you have to ask if they "...are worth it..." the answer for you has to be "probably not".

My $00.02 - B.B.S.

Agreed, but you never know.... but I would like to say thanks to Atuck for the offer.

My $00.02 - B.B.S.
About a month ago, I walked into a B&M here in town. I was talking to the owner, and he had a bunch of Graycliffs (and Opus, and PAM's, etc). I asked him if the Graycliffs were worth the money? He responded this way:

He said he drove a Rolls Royce once. He said it was most certainly the nicest car he had ever driven. He said, "is it worth the money to buy that instead of the Lincoln I drive, which is a very nice car?"

He said the question is a difficult one, and one that only you can answer...He said the Graycliffs (substitute Taboada here...) are very nice, and you might find that you think they are one of the finest cigars out there. He said only you can decide if it is worth the money that it costs to enjoy something rare or something considered to be of extremely high quality. I found that explanation helpful.

And I would still like to try a Taboada someday...

Will be getting a 5er of Dom's soon. Like anything it is what you feel it is worth. My wife has purses that cost more than the amount of cash she ever carries, but that is what she likes. I would buy a bundle of these over 1 of those Gurkhas :p :thumbs:

I've certainly been scratching my head over what makes these so desirable. I'm confident that one would be wasted on me, but I'm anxious to read a Wilkey style review.

Back