• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Take those wrappers off if you're putting things back

personal User

One of my favorite go to cigars (non cuban) that is a standard go to for me
Illusione Epernay Le Matin

So, I just finished up a delightful box from 2013

Opened up a box from 2017 that still had the wrappers on, oops.

They have burned extremely uneven and the flavors just aren't the same.

Opened a box from 2019m they're good, so I took the wrappers off, took the wrappers off the box from 2017 and put them back with sticker that says don't open till the 2019 box is gone.

Hepefully, they will revive somewhat.

The moral of this post is that if you're putting stuff back for several years, take the wrapper off!

Unfortunately at age 74 the proper word doesn't always come to mind.

In terms of cellophanes, I leave some on and take some off.

If they're in a 5x5 box that I'm putting back for years, I take them off.

In terms of discussion I think everyone should do what suits them in terms of cellophanes and there is no right or wrong, people should do what they want:)

Le Matins are my favorites as well. The really benefit from dry boxing.

Thanks for the input Barry

I had tried dry boxing in the past, but wasn't doing it like Sid said.

I can well imagine that turning the cigar makes a huge difference.

Will give that a shot

Thanks for the input Barry

I had tried dry boxing in the past, but wasn't doing it like Sid said.

I can well imagine that turning the cigar makes a huge difference.

Will give that a shot
No worries, Ken... glad to see you online!

A little more background now that I'm not on my phone. Illusione started putting cellophane on all their cigars sometime around '16 or '17. I haven't noticed a huge difference in how the cigars age with the cello, but as the classic CP discussion goes, it all depends on personal preference. I always keep the sleeves on.

A bigger thing would be simply making sure the cigars are aged enough, which again is based on personal preference. Fresh Illusiones are fine, but Dion says they really get great at about 3 years and peak at about 8. In my experience, Epernays especially need that time. I always have a few boxes of Le Matins resting; I'm currently working on a '15 box that is doing pretty well right now.

I always find it funny that out of all the cigar brands, Illusione is the one that originally did NOT say they were after Cubans--rather trying to get that mythical, ellusive pre-Sandinista Nicaraguan profile--and yet they behave almost exactly like Habanos when it comes to storage and aging.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input on Illusione.

The box from 2013 I just finished up was outstanding. My ability to remember the cellophane on/off is lacking.

The 2019's are smoking very nicely so I'll smoke them before the 2017s. That will probably be a couple of years before I get to them.

I will continue buying a box every couple of years and putting them back. I'm down to one cigar a week, per dr, which often stretches to two a week and only smoking certain things that usually have been around some years.

update on this

The box of Illusiones that were causing a problem for me, I had left the plastic wrapper on the box and had stored in the wineador for years.

They were smokeable but not as enjoyable as others had been after dry boxing.

So, I put them in a coolidor where I kept cubans, in a cedar tray ( No box) and left them to fully rehumidify.

Just smoked one, delicious.

Need a bit more time to fully rehumidify, and more time in the dry box than I had but since I smoke outside and weather was such I took the opportunity when I could.

While I do leave cellophanes on individual cigars sometimes on, sometimes off, I will in future take the plastic wrapper off of boxes that I am storing for longer terms.

Makes me feel a whole lot better about the remaining cigars from those boxes.