• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

taking the plunge....

ngetal

barley acolyte
so, I was looking over the new adds at Frenchy's and spotted this beauty:
3767_large_image.jpg

since I had a discount code, I pulled the trigger (after some encouragement from the friend who got me into cigars) :thumbs:

wish me luck.... :D now, I just need to find something to put in it... ???

so, I was looking over the new adds at Frenchy's and spotted this beauty:
3767_large_image.jpg

since I had a discount code, I pulled the trigger (after some encouragement from the friend who got me into cigars) :thumbs:

wish me luck.... :D now, I just need to find something to put in it... ???

Nice pipe man! I think you will come to love Pipes although for me it is a completely different experiance than cigars. Hit a local shop and try a few house blends to see what you like. Maybe purchase a tin or two or something that catches your eye, get a decent pipe lighter, some cleaners and a tool and off you go.

Enjoy!

If you're relatively new to pipes, there is a thread I started awhile back that will make distinctions between different types and blends of tobaccos. Give it a read before deciding, It may prove insightful, at least that was the purpose.

Linky

If you're relatively new to pipes, there is a thread I started awhile back that will make distinctions between different types and blends of tobaccos. Give it a read before deciding, It may prove insightful, at least that was the purpose.

Linky

new? I'm so green, I could pass as an xmas tree ;) thanks for the linky Jake - I may have looked that over early, but on another read it's definately helpful. I especially appreciate the names you mentioned as possible suggestions, as the the tobacco laws in Ontario became stupidly restrictive earlier this summer (to the point that retailers (other than the rare "licensed tobacconist") aren't even allowed to display the products anymore - in fact, anyone who wants to purchase isn't even allowed to see what's being bought until after it's paid for) :angry:

Nice pipe man! I think you will come to love Pipes although for me it is a completely different experiance than cigars. Hit a local shop and try a few house blends to see what you like. Maybe purchase a tin or two or something that catches your eye, get a decent pipe lighter, some cleaners and a tool and off you go.

Enjoy!

oh yeah... I made sure to include a package of pipe cleaners and a 'multi-tool' with my order - with any luck, it'll arrive before my friend comes down for her next visit, and she'll be able to help me out with how to fill, tamp, light, and so forth ;)

as for "local shops"... I'm about half an hour's drive east from Toronto - there's one store that I know of which carries tobacco and such, but I've no idea what they have since everything is required by law to be concealed. maybe if I'm lucky, they'll have a book or binder that lists what they have, and I might be able to find some tins or pouches of something that I recognize the name of... bulk or house blends? seems unlikey, but I'll check - I may have to resort to internet/mail order for supplies...

thanks for the tips!

I see why Frenchy comes highly recommended...

I placed the order on his website last night, got an automated confirmation and such...
and this morning, there's a personal email from da man hisself thanking me for the purchase :thumbs:

assuming it turns out that I actually like pipes, I'll definately be back there for another kick at the can ;)

now, can I get away with swiping his sig...
Frenchy said:
"...all I have in this world is my balls and my word and I don't break 'em for no one..."
-Tony Montana
:cool:

PS -

Frenchy says to tell you thanks for speaking kindly of him and his website

Enjoy the pipe! Most importantly TAKE YOUR TIME! Do not be discouraged if your first experience is less than what you had expected it to be. Pipe smoking is somewhat of an art form and no one paints the Mona Lisa their first time at the canvas. There are sooooo many tobaccos to choose from that even if you don't find one you like to start, there is guaranteed to be others that you will enjoy. Check out TobbacoReviews.com for info on basically every blend that is out there commercially.

The other thing to remember is that the pipe has a lot to do with the smoke. Might be wise to pick up a few cobs to test new blends as certain kinds of tobaccos will taint your briar pipe and may leave "ghosts" of the tobacco. This happens mostly with aromatic blends, but just be aware of it before loading your pipe with a goopy sweet tobacco.

This board is a massive source for info and advice and there is no such thing as a stupid question...I was (and definitely still am in my opinion) a noob to pipe smoking and have only been going at it for less than a year. The kind and helpful people on this board are one of the main reasons I am still sticking to it.

Enjoy the pipe and remember to take it slow and easy...

:thumbs:

Greetings from a fellow Ontario pipe smoker.

I know the tobacco laws here got hit hard this summer and they really tightened down what Tobacco dealers can do. My local B&M is lucky enough where it doesn't have to cover it's tobacco products or have any of those stupid laws but I noticed a number of other stores with drug store blend tobacco has their products covered. Stupid Canadian goverment....

Anyways enjoy your time with the fine art of pipes and be patient.

The hunt for what you like among what's out there is half the fun, at least! In addition to the pure enjoyment, it's like the whole world of tobacco is new to be discovered! :thumbs:

Enjoy the chase, bro!

Steve

I know the tobacco laws here got hit hard this summer and they really tightened down what Tobacco dealers can do. My local B&M is lucky enough where it doesn't have to cover it's tobacco products or have any of those stupid laws but I noticed a number of other stores with drug store blend tobacco has their products covered. Stupid Canadian goverment....

heya...

out of curiousity, where is your 'local B&M' - could I be lucky that it's near enough for me to take a drive over to check it out?

good to hear from a fellow Canuck :thumbs:

heya...

out of curiousity, where is your 'local B&M' - could I be lucky that it's near enough for me to take a drive over to check it out?

good to hear from a fellow Canuck :thumbs:

Umm I'm on the other side of Ontario near the Thunder Bay region, so probably abit to far out of your range.

But yeah it's good to hear from a fellow Canadian :thumbs: I thought I was the only one. :whistling:

got home from work today to find a package of goodies from Frenchy waiting in the mailbox for me :D

very impressed with the service - I'll certainly be recommending him to my pipe smoking friends :thumbs:

Congratulations. I love the feeling of a new purchase in the mail. I have been meaning to place an order with Frenchy. I originally got into pipes because I didn't want to start buying storage devices for cigars and I never had a cigar on hand when I wanted one. Pipes are a whole different experience and occasionally going back to a cigar and then back to pipes helps one appreciate the finer things in life. Good luck!

I placed the order on his website last night, got an automated confirmation and such...
and this morning, there's a personal email from da man hisself thanking me for the purchase :thumbs:

assuming it turns out that I actually like pipes, I'll definately be back there for another kick at the can ;)

Frenchy said:
"...all I have in this world is my balls and my word and I don't break 'em for no one..."
-Tony Montana

PS -

Frenchy said:
-Tony Montana

PS -

Yeah that automated response is so bland and impersonal. I just use it so people will know I got the order but I still like to send a note to say how ya' doin'? So ya' know there's an actual human (I use the term loosely) here. Hope ya' have nothin' but wonderful puffs on that new beauty pal!