• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Tatuaje L'esprit de La Verite- (Preproduction)

BrooksW

I was lucky enough to be sent one of the first La Verite preproduction sticks released into the wild by Pete himself, and decided to burn it as soon as I could.

For those of you who don't know, new line will have two cigars in it, the La Verite (which ship in cases of 100 for $25 per cigar, but will be broken up and sold in the aforementioned 100 count boxes, (2) 50 cabs, (4) 25 boxes, or (10) 10 count boxes) and a less expensive option, a Robusto size only called L'esprit de La Verite (which is the one I smoked).

The interesting thing about this release is that the La Verite will have "futures" sold this year, before the actual cigar is released, similar to how wine futures are sold (basically, it refers to buying wine after it is made, but before it is bottled.) According to Pete Johnson, the futures price will be about 25 to 30% lower then the published $25/stick.

Now, anytime I am given a preproduction stick, I am careful with how I judge it. One the one hand, you want like hell for it to be a great stick. But on the other, it has not been officially released into the public yet, and will most likely change quite a bit before the masses get their hands on it, mostly due to proper aging...

The ground is littered with preproduction sticks that were hyped to high heaven before they were released, but ended up being a huge disappointment when they finally made their way to me in the final version (I am looking at you Cohiba Piramide EL!)

Due to the unique way these cigars are going to be marketed (see above), the buzz around them is going to be unreal. Just remember as you read this review, that this is NOT the final version of this stick, and I will obviously revisit the cigar review once it is released to the public.

Now, having said all of THAT, let's get down to business.

* Country of Origin: Nicaragua - (All from one farm in Estelí)
* Wrapper: Nicaragua - (All from one farm in Estelí)
* Binder: Nicaragua - (All from one farm in Estelí)
* Filler: Nicaragua - (All from one farm in Estelí)
* Format: Robusto
* Size: 5 Inches
* Ring Gauge: 50
* Est. Price: Variable (See above)

Tat_LaVerite_Big.jpg

When I got the cigar in the mail, I was immediately struck by how well made it was. The cap was perfect, the roll seemed great, it had a really nice sheen to it, and the stick had a slightly spongy feel too it. When I smelled the wrapper for the first time, there was a slight sweet smell that had me pumped about lighting it up. As always, I waited two weeks to burn it, keeping it in my Vinotemp at 65/65.

I chose to punch this one, and did so easily, and in the first puff I got what I now call the "Tat Twang", which is what I use to describe the really nice tingle on my tongue and mouth from alot of Pete's cigars...However, unlike one of his stronger cigars (like say the SW Maduro), the Twang was lighter, almost muted, like Pete decided to tone it down on purpose.

Interestingly, the Twang did not stick around long...The first third had a very strong Tobacco flavor, not bad, but not one of the usual tastes that I find in his sticks...There was a little bit of pepper, but not much at all...Confirming my observation about the construction, the draw and burn were perfect...

TatLaVerite_1.jpg

The Second third of the cigar changed totally for me, taste wise...The tobacco flavor left (very suddenly, I might add) and in came a very Woodsy taste...NOT cedar, but a taste of more generic wood...Not wholly unpleasant at all...the spice in the the cigar started to abate at this point, but did not totally leave...

TatLaVerite_2.jpg

The last third was still that woodsy taste, but the spice/pepper started picking up a little...right at the end, the cigar started burning EXTREMELY hot, almost to the point where I could not nub it (although I did manage :)...The tastes starting running together at the very end, and it did get a little bitter.

TatLaVerite_4.jpg

Some Final Notes:
~As I said before, this was an almost perfectly constructed smoke...Perfect burn, draw, and ash made it a pleasure to smoke.
~The flavors in this stick did not really change all that much, and seemed to be quite a bit more mellow then most of Pete's other sticks...A very interesting proposition, and I think (although I am just guessing here) that is what Pete WANTED with this cigar, a more refined Tatuaje, with less of the spice/pepper he cigars are known for.
~The smoking time on this stick was exactly 1 hour and 28 mins.

Final Verdict: I liked this smoke, it was a change of pace from what I usually have...However, it was not a blow your mind smoke (in terms of flavor or strength)...I have a feeling that some more time resting will help the flavors in this cigar meld together more...I will withhold final judgement until the final version of this is released.

TatLaVerite_5.jpg

Great review.... Mine was about the same. It was good but if it would have been as good as it looked.....

ok....i guess ill start the "over-hype" i thought it was pretty damn good. it's up there with the blacks, imo.

Your review seems more or less in line with the experience I had with this cigar a few months ago, though I don't recall any wood flavors, the blend may have changed a bit since then. Excellent formatting, I like your style!

This sounds like an interesting cigar, but am I reading these are $25 a piece? Hope I'm mis-reading that. Excellent review!

Great review. I had the La Verite when Pete was in boston a couple months back. It was by far the best smoke I have ever had. Better then the blacks.

Great review. I had the La Verite when Pete was in boston a couple months back. It was by far the best smoke I have ever had. Better then the blacks.

I agree with you. I smoked one a while back and thought it was an excellent cigar. Maybe one of the best Pete has made, and I love most of his stuff.

Damn, $25 and $16?

He told us that this cigar is intended to be priced to compete with the Padron 1926 line.

Damn, that is an oily looking cigar! Great looking construction!

Hrmm, it will be difficult to compete with something like the 1926 line. I'd love to get my hands on one of these and do a side by side comparison! I am betting that once these actually hit the shelves, they will be better. As you said, a bit of extra aging may do a good bit for these, and they may taste different once released. I hope they are a hit, Pete Johnson makes some great sticks! :thumbs:

I smoked my La Verite sample Friday night and enjoyed it greatly. Personally, I would probably give the nod to the Black, but this was an excellent cigar nonetheless.

I've also been wondering about the size of the pre-release sticks. Every review I've read lists them as being 5x50, however, my example was noticeably shorter (1/8th of an in or so) and approximately the same ring gauge as the Havana IV Angeles (4.6x42). Any ideas?

The first picture of the stick in your hand, as well as the 2nd, makes it appear to have a box press to it? Is that correct because the top picture (profiles) shows otherwise. May just be the lighting but I would kill for some box pressed tats!

The first picture of the stick in your hand, as well as the 2nd, makes it appear to have a box press to it? Is that correct because the top picture (profiles) shows otherwise. May just be the lighting but I would kill for some box pressed tats!

The first picture you are referring to looks like the foot is just a little squished perhaps, and the second is just lighting and shadow. If it IS box pressed, it isn't very apparent, so I doubt it is. The other pictures show a stick that is pretty round looking. I agree though, a box pressed Tat would be awesome! :thumbs:

Hey!

While I would love a box pressed tat as well, this one was not (I think that is just the lighting I used to shoot the cigars making it look that way).

Hope that helps!

~brooks

Hey!

While I would love a box pressed tat as well, this one was not (I think that is just the lighting I used to shoot the cigars making it look that way).

Hope that helps!

~brooks

Well thats too bad! Still looks like a delicious smoke, thanks for another great review!

How about a $4-5 cigar that can compete with the Padron 2000?

Why not start there, and work your way up?

I love the Tats. LOVE your stuff Pete. But you are a spendy mofo. You know, if the Havana line was a couple bucks cheaper per stick... We'd all go on and on about those cigars.

As we do the Padron 2K maduro. That cigar is the sh............

How about a $4-5 cigar that can compete with the Padron 2000?

Why not start there, and work your way up?

I love the Tats. LOVE your stuff Pete. But you are a spendy mofo. You know, if the Havana line was a couple bucks cheaper per stick... We'd all go on and on about those cigars.

As we do the Padron 2K maduro. That cigar is the sh............

That is what the ambos mundos and the tat red are for.