• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Tatuaje Reserva J21

Shawn,

It would appear that they are starting to come around. At the time, I was told that another 6 months would do wonders. I think I may have to give it a fling soon.

Tim,

I've experienced the moisture effect particularly with the Cojonu 2003 ligero wrapper. These did not perform at their best for me near 70%. Below 65% the burn became much better and the flavor was less "resinous." I seem to recall that this was one of the few cigars where I detected something akin to precipitated tars at the cut head.

Wilkey

I just got done smoking one of these 5min ago. It has been kept at 62% RH for about a month. I loved it. I found it to be a much more compex smoke that the reg. Tatuajes and worth the 1.50 difference in price. Now to find a box.

Doc.

I smoked one of these last week.
I did not pay near as much attention to the flavor profile as you did and mine burned fine but the nicotine buzz definately knocked me on my ass.

I really enjoy reading Wilkey's review. Cojonu 2003 and 2006 have been pretty tasty. I wouldnt say spectacular. Those smokes were rich but got hot in the end.

So the question everyone wants to know the answer to, Wilkey, is: When you paired that Tatuaje Reserva J21 with a Pillsbury chocolate chip cookie, what color skirt were you wearing? :cool:

Today's study smoke was the Cojonu Reserva J21. Tatuaje is a small producer of "boutique" cigars based on the traditional Cuban ways. This is a point that they stress and that is none-to-subtly reinforced in their packaging. The entire 2005 line, which consists of 18 different front marks or "models" are Nicaraguan puros.

...and here are the models:

http://www.vitolas.net/displayimage.php?pos=-832

...but I only count 15, unless you're including the 3 special production models.

Today's study smoke was the Cojonu Reserva J21. Tatuaje is a small producer of "boutique" cigars based on the traditional Cuban ways. This is a point that they stress and that is none-to-subtly reinforced in their packaging. The entire 2005 line, which consists of 18 different front marks or "models" are Nicaraguan puros.

...and here are the models:

http://www.vitolas.net/displayimage.php?pos=-832

...but I only count 15, unless you're including the 3 special production models.

That was probably the case. I believe I pulled the list from the source from which you and I have both obtained Tatuajes. In all likelihood, I just scanned their complete stock list and noted the dimensions.

Wilkey

PS. The skirt was a very subdued maroon heather. I was not wearing underwear though...in tribute to our girl Lindsay. ;)

I had a similar experience with a Regios. It just kicked my ass. I had to set it down about halfway through. This hasn't happened to me since I was a newbie. Torano did it to me as well back then.

I just smoked a J21 last week, and I think it might be my new favorite Tatuaje!

I had somewhat lowered expectations since I've read mixed reviews of the Vitola, and I was floored by its awesomeness.

What an amazingly complex profile that hit notes from floral, to spice, to yeast. I'm dying for another one to make sure I didn't get some kinda freak super-smoke.

If I was forced to pick a favorite Tat, this would be it.

I do believe that tomorrow, I'm going to fire up the last J21 I have from the same batch that the original review was based on. At this point, the cigar will have 16 more months of age. It's going to be an interesting comparison I hope.

Wilkey

I had my first one of these tonight and thought it was a great cigar. Not as strong as the Cojonu, but still a good strength to it. Lots of tobacco flavor and even some sweetness in it. I'm really digging that whole Tat line so far... each one is different (that I've tried)... all are pretty strong, but with a good mix of different flavors from the sweet, black cherry of the Noella Reserve Oscuro to the raw power of the Cojonu... great stuff.

I hope you enjoy the last one you're going to fire up, Wilkey. :)

I do believe that tomorrow, I'm going to fire up the last J21 I have from the same batch that the original review was based on. At this point, the cigar will have 16 more months of age. It's going to be an interesting comparison I hope.

Wilkey

I was hoping you'd say that!

Can't wait to hear how it smokes.

I am looking forward to this review as well.

Guys,

I smoked it yesterday and I'm working on the review this weekend. I think it's safe to say that the cigar has changed significantly and yet retained the best of the experience from 16 months ago. I gotta say I wish I had put down a box those many months ago. :(

Look for my review in a day or so. :D

Wilkey

Wilkey,
I remember from my neuro-physiology that humans do not have a very good pain memory; otherwise no women would ever have more than one child. I'm wondering now about taste memory and how well developed it is, good, bad or indifferent. Can we really remember what something tasted like, accurately, a year or more ago? And are there any studies on taste memory that could allay my skepticism. There just seems to me, to be too many intervening variables especially with cigars. So many things can affect the taste. The time of day, what you've eaten and drank etc.

Thanks
Doc.

What humans do remember well are smells and aromas and they are tightly associated with memory since at least some of the neuronal input from the olfactory nerve synapses on the medial portion of the temporal lobe which serves some function with memory. While I agree with Doc that there are many variables, my personal pleasure from cigars comes from aroma and it's influence on taste. That's while it's pointless for me to have a cigar if I have a sinus infection or if the allergies are acting up.

Wilkey,
I remember from my neuro-physiology that humans do not have a very good pain memory; otherwise no women would ever have more than one child. I'm wondering now about taste memory and how well developed it is, good, bad or indifferent. Can we really remember what something tasted like, accurately, a year or more ago? And are there any studies on taste memory that could allay my skepticism. There just seems to me, to be too many intervening variables especially with cigars. So many things can affect the taste. The time of day, what you've eaten and drank etc.

Thanks
Doc.
All very valid points, my good man.

Taste memory, like any other memory, is plastic and responds to pre and post priming*. And of course it's also liable to fading as well as modification through any number of mechanisms (i.e., nostalgia). And so one might be led to believe that sensory memories might be so unreliable as to be of limited use or value. Clearly this is not the case as we are, each of us, walking testaments to a lifetime of accumulated sense memories.

When we talk about any individual's recollections of sense memories, we really do have to qualify the circumstances of their acquisition and recording in order to gauge how comparable observations over time might be. In my case, I take notes that cover not only the various sensory modalities (taste, scent, appearance, texture) but also enough contextual information (drink, food, time of day, what led me to smoke that cigar at that time) for me to reconstruct the experience in my mind. In other words, I do not rely exclusively on my internal memories which are based in the wetware between my ears and thus liable to distortion. I also employ specific journaling techniques to function as an adjunct, external supplement, one that is presumably unchanging over time.

I respect your skepticism, Doc. In fact, I am the first to apply that skepticism to any and all claims I care to make. It's the responsible thing to do and I feel it serves to "keep me honest" in the sense that I don't feel good about fooling myself and certainly wouldn't feel good about fooling others with questionable impressions.

Regarding studies of the persistence and malleability of sense memory, fuggedaboutit. The literature is so huge (though likely quite interesting) that I couldn't bring myself to get started on a literature search. It's a worthy idea though.

Wilkey

* priming, in this sense is used to mean a process whereby one's impression of a specific stimulus can be significantly modified by other stimuli presented either right before or right after the target stimuli. For example, I was at the Association for Psychological Sciences conference in Washington, D.C., this week and I saw a poster by researchers at BYU/Kalamzaoo College about interpretations of film characters' emotions as affected by the mood of the music (happiness, sadness, fear, anger) played either before of after you see the characters' faces. This group found that the same neutral expression could be reliably rated as displaying any one of the four emotions depending on which music they heard. The interesting part was that there was no music at all during the part of the clip where you saw the person. Only before or after when they appeared in the clip.