• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Technology amazes me

Dr. Marneaus

I drive a station wagon
Reaction score
I'm pretty tech savy, but even with that, I'm amazed every day by random bits of common technology.

My flash drive fell apart the other day, so I figure'd I get a new one seeing as even though it still works, the 2 gig one was old, fell apart, and is always full of schoolwork.

Well, went to Fry's electronics and found this guy!

IMG_0015.jpg

Cheap price, 4 gig, perfect. but holy crap it's absolutely TINY. I kinda regret buying it because I'm afraid it'll break or get lost easily.

4 gigabytes of information on this tiny thing? How is it possible! the only thing that blows my mind even more are micro SD cards. I also saw a regular flash drive that was 32 gb. Man, how do they do it?

comparison to my hand, a regular sized flash drive and a house key.
IMG_0014.jpg

IMG_0013.jpg

Amazing, isn't it? And to think I still remember "do not fold, spindle, or mutilate" punchcards!

Went to a conference in Dallas recently. They gave every attendee a tiny little flashdrive with all the Powerpoints and handouts and documents on it . . . thing's smaller than my little finger and has over 10X the memory of my first computer.

~Boar

If that really is from 1987 and if I had to guess I'd say that is a 355MB drive. The one gig threshold was crossed much later with a smaller drive. To give you an idea I spent $2200 out the door (on sale!) for a 40 meg drive in June 1986.

Wow, that brings back memories. I layed out some of those boards used on the old IBM drives and have been working on some of the newer flash technology. The technology advancement is amazing indeed.

:cool:

When I first started in the computer industry, I worked on main frame computers.
Huge rooms of computers with less computing power than a modern PC.
They had hard drives that were as large as a washing machine; 16 platters, 32 heads and 512mb of storage.

We have come a long way...