• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Temperature/Humidity Questions

bankerjoe

With winter coming up, I was thinking about my humidor. I don't keep the heat on too much because, frankly, I don't really like it, it is expensive, my house stays warm enough, and I kind of like the cold. But my house can still get pretty chilly. Everything I read, though, says that cigars should be kept at 70°F/70% RH, or 65/65, etc. What I was wondering was does anyone know if there is an absolute humidity that cigars should be kept at? I find it hard to believe that the relative humidity is a driving factor (but please correct me if I am wrong).

In short, my answer and opinion is no. I like my smokes at 65 % and the temp in my house runs from 63 at night to 68 during the day. There are cigars out there that smoke better a little drier and some a little wetter but Im not experienced enough to tell. Try diff humidity's and see what works best for you. I personally wouldn't go lower than 63 or higher than 70.
Happy smoking

RH is very important. If your cigars get too dry they will not smoke or taste right. 60% is usually the lowest that most people will go. Temperature is far less important, unless they get too hot.

As has been said, RH is definitely the figure of merit here. 65% is a very popular mid value, but it's without question a matter of personal preference. Ask 50 experienced cigar guys what the recommend and you'll likely get numbers from 58% to 75%.

Above 75%, mold risk increases exponentially. Above 70F, so does the risk of a beetle hatch. Use your own best judgement.

B.B.S.

RH is very important. If your cigars get too dry they will not smoke or taste right. 60% is usually the lowest that most people will go. Temperature is far less important, unless they get too hot.

I understand if smokes get too dry that is a bad thing. 70°F/70%RH is not the same moisture content as 60°F/70%RH (the later is rather drier than the former). That is why I asked if there was an absolute humidity that needs to be a target.

Temperature is important in that respect. 50°F/70%RH is even drier (extreme, I know, but to make the point).

Although, from the sounds of it, I have nothing to worry about from previous posts. Thank you all.

Also...different cigars are better at different humidity levels. While temperature is not as critical if maintained close to 70, it seems that Cuban cigars are better around 65% humity to even 60% Rh, while NCs and DRs tend to smoke better at 70% Rh.

Can't say it any better. Keep temp generally below 70* and RH generally between 60*-70*.

Also, @BlindedByScience, I f'ing love that quote from that General in your signature.

As has been said, RH is definitely the figure of merit here. 65% is a very popular mid value, but it's without question a matter of personal preference. Ask 50 experienced cigar guys what the recommend and you'll likely get numbers from 58% to 75%.

Above 75%, mold risk increases exponentially. Above 70F, so does the risk of a beetle hatch. Use your own best judgement.

B.B.S.