• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The best damn tequila in the US

Tony Bones

Grundalier
A co-worker/friend of mine did a neat little experiment. He bought a one gallon, charred oak barrel, enough of a quanity of three different 100% pure agave tequilas to fill it, and let it sit for a year unbothered.

HOLY COW! By far the most refined, palatable, and generally wonderful tequilas I've ever tasted. I've had a number of very good 1 and 3 yr.'s and this blew them all out of the water.

We've concluded that the smoothness of the tequila was generated by it being in contact w/ a much higher surface area of oak than your store bought stuff. Makes good sense, as this is the case w/ single barrel scotches and such.

I was so impressed w/ the quality of his product that I set out to age a barrel of my own...but in a five gallon barrel. Woah! Five gallons of 100% pure agave tequila is over $1000! Too much for me. So I decided to do a little research. I figured that tequila is a distilled product just like shine'. If I can make shine' I can make tequila.

Found (don't ask how) a little old man in Mexico w/ an agave farm and enquired as to what it would cost to purchase some agave juice. Much, much cheaper than buying the tequila is all I'll disclose. The nifty part of speaking w/ the old guy was that he told me how to make the end product. He told me EVERYTHING that I would need for success, and that it's far easier to make than whisky, as you don't have to experiment w/ mixing different percentages of the distillate from different temp. ranges. He also told me that I'll be able to make some of the most unGodly good tequila I've ever tasted, due to the exact reasons found in my barrel theory.

50 lb. pail of agave is on its way. If all goes well one or two people may be getting a tequila bomb in a year's time :)

I was under the impression you couldn't import Agave to the US. I remember some sort of flap when Bud came out with Tequiza because it was supposedly illegal for them to produce it in the US. I could be making all this stuff up..

Tony,

Did I ever tell you I think you are the BEST CP member EVER? :thumbs:

You are kind, knowledgeable, thoughtful and and all around great guy. :) :p ;) :love:

By the way I LOVE tequila :p

other1 said:
I was under the impression you couldn't import Agave to the US. I remember some sort of flap when Bud came out with Tequiza because it was supposedly illegal for them to produce it in the US. I could be making all this stuff up..
Bah, legalities. I hear it's illegal to import Cuban cigars too :)

Hey Tony, where are you getting the aging barrel's? I bet I could make a lot better homebrewed wine too.

Tony Bones said:
If all goes well one or two people may be getting a tequila bomb in a year's time :)
Hey Tony,
How did you like those great Tiki cups I sent you?

:D

Hope it works out as good as the first batch.

Bruce

Maggs44 said:
Tony Bones said:
If all goes well one or two people may be getting a tequila bomb in a year's time :)
Hey Tony,
How did you like those great Tiki cups I sent you?

:D

Hope it works out as good as the first batch.

Bruce
They are taking up residence w/ all of my other Tiki fellows. They're in good company and are enjoying their new home :)

"Need a Bone?" :0
Big Bone Tequila
Keep the ladies happy all night long :D :p

Being someone who loves Tequila (good tequila that is), I was curious about your experiment. Sounds like it tasted great, but what kind did you poor in to begin with?
I think there'd be a difference if you dumped in some nasty **** from the cuervo family as opposed to Porfidio Cactus or Herradura Especial. Either way, I'm your mooch :sign:

BrownDevil said:
Being someone who loves Tequila (good tequila that is), I was curious about your experiment. Sounds like it tasted great, but what kind did you poor in to begin with?
I think there'd be a difference if you dumped in some nasty **** from the cuervo family as opposed to Porfidio Cactus or Herradura Especial. Either way, I'm your mooch :sign:
This actually wasn't my experiment. A friend did it. Your correct though. Crap turns to aged crap.

He used four different types of 100% agave silver. I'll have to check on the brands. Good stuff though. Nothing cheap, hence my decision to make my own :)

cigarsarge said:
Where are you going to get the worm?
Hah! That's actually an American bastardazation. Real tequila has never come w/ a worm. Some yokel American marketing guru came up w/ that jackass'd idea.

Going to put my first round of mash together this evening.

Purchased some heavily toasted American oak cubes and will use them for aging, in place of an oak barrel. I like the oak barrel idea, but they're expensive and are also maintenance monsters. Aging in 1/2 gallon glass jugs, 1/4 filled w/ toasted cubes will be more convenient, cheaper, and will actually provide a larger surface area of oak to liquid.

My intent is to make a gallon of each of the following:

Reposado (6 months of oak aging)
Anejo (1 year of aging...maybe more)

The whole worm thing comes from it's use in another Mexican beverage, Mezcal. It's very similar to Tequila but is not required to be 51%+ Agave.

MMMmm Mezcal. For New Years I got a bottle of Dos Gusanos, with two worms, which are actually grubs (larvae) not worms. I think it took 15 minutes for 8 of us to shoot the whole bottle, I had both gusanos because no one else wanted them, yummy, I think, I don't really remember. I remember trying to make best friends with our cab driver on the way home, I don't think he was amused.