• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The big 50...ESG or VSG?

stic2it

My soon to be father-in-law's big 50 is coming up on the 5th of May, me and my fiance are getting him a box of Ashton cigars. I was planning on getting a box of ESG's around 400 or so, but he always mentions the VSG's. I have had 1 ESG and it was amazing to say the least, probably my most enjoyable "newbie" stick. Have yet to try the VSG line but I have heard mixed reviews about them. My real question is would you buy him what he wants (VSG) or get him what you think is the better cigar (ESG)? VSG torpedo or ESG 22 year salute?

If he's already expressed an interest in one, you know it will be appreciated.
I've also smoked only 1 ESG a few years ago (loved it) and many VSG's (love them too).

Buy him what he likes. He's got better taste than the reviewers you've been reading. Ain't nothing mixed about them.

Doc.

The VSG Torpedo is seldom anything less than a transcendental cigar. The ESG is great, but because he's already told you he likes the VSGs, I'd go with those. Get a couple sticks for yourself too-- you won't be disappointed.

Those both can be tough to come by. Have you located a box of either, otherwise it's a moot point.

As for your question, I would assume he knows what he likes better than you. If you really think he should try something, one or two will suffice.

The VSG Torpedo is my favorite. I have a box that I smoke one from each year on my 1st Grand Daughter's birthday, which was Saturday. It was excellent. I also smoked a VSG Sorcerer this afternoon, which I really liked.

I have smoked several ESGs and they were good, but no VSG. Just my opinion.

Ken

The VSG Torpedo is my favorite. I have a box that I smoke one from each year on my 1st Grand Daughter's birthday, which was Saturday. It was excellent. I also smoked a VSG Sorcerer this afternoon, which I really liked.

I have smoked several ESGs and they were good, but no VSG. Just my opinion.

Ken

The VSG torpedo's are available, and I can find a box of the ESG's but from all the comments, my decicion is made VSG Torpedo's. I also plan to get him a nice stock of heartfelt beads and a palio cigar cutter.

Thanks guys, you have answered all of my questions!

Get him a box of VSGs, AND smoke a couple ESGs with him
on his birthday. The VSGs are a great smoke.

Chemyst :cool:

I would say pick him up a box o fthe VSG's because he said he likes them. Because the ESG's would likely be more, use the difference to buy him a 3 pack or 5 pack of the ESG's to get his pallet wet and possibly expose him to a new smoke. Either way, nice gesture!

The current VSGs are no where near the OR VSGs. I have found that with the older the Ashton you can find, the better. Recent stuff hasn't really held up their name in my books.

The current VSGs are no where near the OR VSGs. I have found that with the older the Ashton you can find, the better. Recent stuff hasn't really held up their name in my books.

I wish I could've found an older box of ashton's laying around, but I don't think so. Went with a box of VSG torpedo's, heartfelt beads, and I will look for a 3 or 5'er of the ESG's. I agree with the suggestion, and will enjoy smoking the ESG's with him.