• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The Clock'idor project has begun

This is a very cool clockidor. While browsing through this forum there was a post (maybe even a sticky) about converting regular furniture to humidors. It said to worry about the ability of the non-humidor portion of the furniture to be able to withstand the high humidity inside with the cigars. This seems to be a nice clock, but do you have any concerns about long term wear and tear on the clock? Warping, mold, etc?

Ery

This is a very cool clockidor. While browsing through this forum there was a post (maybe even a sticky) about converting regular furniture to humidors. It said to worry about the ability of the non-humidor portion of the furniture to be able to withstand the high humidity inside with the cigars. This seems to be a nice clock, but do you have any concerns about long term wear and tear on the clock? Warping, mold, etc?

Ery

I havent't really had any concerns with that, there is minimal wood on the inside as a lot of it is glass. The very bottom is a bit of a concern but I have cedar to cover it, just need to get it done. The temp is near perfect, 66 to 68 degrees. The humidity is finally settling in around 68% give or take 1-2%. Obviously when I open it the humidity drops down to low sixty's but comes back usually within a 3-6 hours! So far so good.

It is a phenomenal piece of work that makes me want to buy a wrecked grandfather clock just for that purpose (and I'm not a woodworking kind of guy). Thanks for sharing with us Bu11dog.

Ery

You did a fantastic job. Any BOTL would love to have that at their disposal. Have fun filling it up!

Where did you get those hygrometers? They seem to be the ones that are back lit

I picked up the hygrometer's at Wal-Mart, they were all accurate within about 1% when I tested them. I have them velcroed to the back walls and need one more. I thought they lit up also but they don't, very easy to read by just peering in the basement though so I check them several times a day!

Shouldn't have any problems with the wood warping - think about the people in FL. 70% RH is nothing, should be just fine.

What do you have in the shot glasses? Looks like either gel or beads w/ a lot of water...?

Nice job on the clock, looks great!

The shot glasses are heartfelt beads. This week I'm going to switch all the beads over to shot glasses, I think it will even out the humidity better. THey takes up much less room also allowing for more smokes as time goes on. As an added incentive all the shot glasses remind me of my younger years when the night was still in full swing at 1:30/2:00am and not because my kids were throwning up. The whole reason I started smoking cigars was so I had a stress reliever and "me" time that didn't involve hitting people or bags (legally in the dojo that is). The shot glasses bring me back fond memories inside the cool-ass humi that I put together with my own hands. Then after the brief trip down memory lane I get to take my selected smoke out and sit quietly, nothing better!
Damn, wish the kids were in bed so I could light up!!!!!!!!!

definately a kick-ass humi... one of these days, maybe I'll get off my arse and get me something besides the 'foot lockers' that I'm using ;)

Awesome idea. Looks like it turned out well for ya! Makes me jelous and wish I had one.

Definitely not full yet. I just allegedly sent out a bunch of sticks and haven't done much replenishing. I'm messing with the seals. It has 3 distinct zones. Bottom runs 70-72%, Middle runs lowest at usually 62-64% and Top usually 65-68%. I alternate between fans on and off alot to help with humidity levels. Going through distilled water like you wouldn't believe, so that's why I keep adding more weather stripping material.
My father-law just saw it last night and was speechless. That felt pretty good!!!

I've got to hand it to you, that's an incredibly creative idea. Your execution is excellent. Great job. :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: