• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The Dalmore Cigar Malt

I had a few fingers of this on Saturday night, and man was it good. It was a lovely finish to a great day. I had a VSG with it, and while I'm not sure if that was a great combo or not, I was still able to notice the subtleties of the cigar while enjoying this tasty single malt.

This is a regular of mine. I always have a bottle on hand. It's quite affordable too. Some people don't like the peaty taste but I think it works great with full-bodied cigars Camachos, Padrons, etc.

It definitely needs a full bodied cigar paired with it. The last time I drank this I had it neat with a LFD DL Chisel Maduro and the two complimented each other perfecty.

I went to my local store and I was able to find this, if any one is having troubles finding it let me know. I think it runs around $28.00-$29.00 for a bottle.

They are going to Close-out this here in PA so if you live in the Keystone State, now is the time to buy it before it is gone.

Thanks for the review...found a bottle of this a few weeks ago...fairly cheap price for a decent scotch...and I was intrigued about the "cigar malt" idea...I liked it...kind of adds what I like about bourbons to a decent scotch...smokeyness and some caramel/toffee flavor....thanks again for the review

Sounds interesting. I'll have to pick up a bottle. Indeed, the CIGAR in the title adds a little marketing touch to BOTL. It had me at hello, time to make a trip to BevMo.

Just attended a Dalmore tasting a local liquor store, and spoke with the rep. He's telling me the following:

Without changing the formula, the Dalmore "Cigar Malt" has been repackaged as their "Grand Reserva". In 2011 Dalmore will drop the "Grand Reserva" line and once again release "Cigar Malt".

The rep also introduced me to eating high quality dark chocolate with the Grand Reserva. The Grand Reserva has a very nice spiciness and bold taste that pairs very well with a cigar - but also pairs incredibly well with the dark chocolate!

Ray - have you had a chance to sample either the Dalmore 18 or King Alexander III?

After sampling both, my wife treated me to a bottle of each (the King Alexander for last Christmas, the 18 yr this Christmas). I highly recommend both. These are one of the few scotches I've had that suffered when ice or water were added - the water absolutely ruined the complexity of the flavors.

The Gran Reserva is supposed to be the replacement for the old Cigar Malt. I don't know if it is exactly the same or not but I do know it is at least 35% more expensive and it seemed to be a bit older then the NAS Cigar Malt even though it doesn't have an age statement either. I haven't had the Dalmore 18 but I have the 12,21 & 30 so I can pretty much guess how the 18 is. The King Alexander III is really one of the best blended malts (a blend of only single malts) out there but I'm not sure it is worth triple the cost of a bottle of Johnnie Walker Green. YMMV.

The Gran Reserva is supposed to be the replacement for the old Cigar Malt. I don't know if it is exactly the same or not but I do know it is at least 35% more expensive and it seemed to be a bit older then the NAS Cigar Malt even though it doesn't have an age statement either. I haven't had the Dalmore 18 but I have the 12,21 & 30 so I can pretty much guess how the 18 is. The King Alexander III is really one of the best blended malts (a blend of only single malts) out there but I'm not sure it is worth triple the cost of a bottle of Johnnie Walker Green. YMMV.

It's been very hard to resist pouring myself a dram of the 18 after work each day. ...and I absolutely refuse to open the King Alexander KNOWING it will be gone by X-mas! :laugh:

For some reason, JW Green just does not do it for me like either the Dalmore 18 or the King Alexander. Dollar for dollar - I like Blue label, but I'm much more "intrigued" with the King Alexander at the moment. Perhaps the mood will pass?!? :D

Since I can get the JW Blue and the King Alex for about the same price that would be a tough call to say which of those two is the better.

Since I can get the JW Blue and the King Alex for about the same price that would be a tough call to say which of those two is the better.

Choose between the two which is better? I wouldn't want to make that call! When in that range, there's no "bad" - just different. :love:

I've had a bottle of the Gran Reserva . . . it's a fantastic Scotch, but it's not the Cigar Malt. Worth the price? Definitely. Same tipple? Nope.

~Boar

I've had a bottle of the Gran Reserva . . . it's a fantastic Scotch, but it's not the Cigar Malt. Worth the price? Definitely. Same tipple? Nope.

~Boar

Given what the cigar rep shared - that's a bit unsettling. I've personally have only had cigar malt on one occasion - and that was several years ago. The "sample" I had was reminiscent of what I remember, but I couldn't honestly tell you if it was the same blend.

According the rep - they did much better with it being labeled "Cigar Malt" and the upcoming release is a measure of acceptance that they should not have changed things. Perhaps they're going to label the Gran Reserva line so that it is more "appealing"? Interesting...