• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The evolution and expense of cigar accessories

I feel that I have come to a pass with the "toys"for now. I have found a couple lighters I like the most and keep them in fine running order also I like my Xikar cutter. I really don't know what I might be missing with a Palio cutter but at this point who cares. As far as my travel humi goes I don't see me traveling with more that a dozen or so so I feel I'm ok there too.

Now to the fun part of this, I am starting to run out of room in my 42 bottle wine-o-dor but I feel I can solve this problem with a little housekeeping and that just make it more fun.

If you're running out of room I'd be glad to store them for you. I'll "test" smoke some now and then to make sure I'm storing them properly ;)

Back to your regularly scheduled thread:

I must admit that I love the accessories, I'm really looking for a badass looking ashtray. Someone (AVB I think) was kind enough to send me an awesome huge one. Now I'm looking for like a cool ass Padron or Cohiba ashtray. As for cutters, I just picked up a NUB one from my local B&M, it just looked cool and the owner gave it to me when I asked if he could get one in for me to buy. Lighters, well every man should always have a lighter on them IMO I have a zippo that has a custom local anodized on it with a butane insert, by far my fav, but I have a few others I love as well. I'm like a monkey, if it's shiny and cool I will grab for it.

I think the neat gadgets are a big part of the hobby for me. Finding things that do the same function in a different way is fun for me.

If it cuts it well, lights it well, and keeps doing that, then i'm happy as Barney Franks in a dark alley full of teenage boys

Good quality products will make your life easier, especially with lifetime warranties. (ie Palio and Xikar). Heartfelt beads also keep your cigars perfect with very little effort.

All the things I listed are not overly expensive, and will last a long time. Good choices one and all.
Agree 100%. Add a Blazer torch to the mix an you've got the best functional items out there. You can pay lots more for "bling" but you won't beat the mentioned items for functionality.

Regards - B.B.S.

All in all, I think as long as you are buying the things because you appreciate them for what they are, then go for it. You can't take your money with you when you die, might as well enjoy it now!

There certainly comes a time that 'enough is enough', but like anything, we, as men (and women, for that matter), will always have our toys. I, too, appreciate the fine craftsmanship that comes with any exceptional product. Be it a cigar, humidor, lighter, cutter, watch, car, t-shirt, or snap-on wrench. I carry a Palio cutter, and a $20 soft-flame retro looking lighter that only got replaced by the torch in my GOF 09 set, as I've been smoking outdoors more, and the soft-flame gives me a bit of trouble.

That said, I have this conversation with my grandfather all the time. He is a man of substance, yet, to this day, wears a $15 Timex indiglo quartz watch. I gifted him a two-tone blue Submariner, he wore it for a day and gave it back to me.

As far as our cigars go, yes, a lighter is a lighter. But, like any accessory, they are just that: an accessory. We wear nice watches for their craftsmanship, and, lets face it, men don't wear much jewelry, so why not a nice watch? Does a good cutter matter? Absolutely, but a $30 cutter vs. a $350 cutter, well thats personal preference. I doubt many of us here are carrying a $300 cutter to say 'hey look at me!!!', instead, its a personal preference of simply having something nice.