• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The Generosity Exchange

Ok, I'm putting this together, and realise that I don't have Matalo's address.

I e-mailed him. Give me a bit to put it together...

In a few minutes, I'll post the initial "lineup" (it's small, to go with this pass ;)), and some introductory messages. Then I'll get to work on my first "story."

"It's the stories, Leebo! They're driving me crazy! ;)"

Ok, here's the first story...

Heh, I had this idea that cigar smokers are such a generous bunch, and I've been the "victim" of so much cigar generosity, that it'd be fun to pass the gifts, and see what others have been getting, too. Actually, this particular pass isn't so much about the cigars as it is about the stories -- stories of cigar generosity, new friends made, etc.

Y'all know most of the rest.

But here's the funny part: as I started putting together the pass box, I realized that I'd smoked most of the gifts that'd been sent to me, so only had a couple dozen cigars left, and a lot of them were duplicates. Luckily (?!) not very many people signed up for this pass, so I'm able to keep it up to 2 per sign-up. Also, luckily, this pass's focus is the stories, not the cigars, so I only feel a LITTLE bemused at myself for not checking into my inventory situation before starting this thing.

Anyway, I just got a chuckle out of myself, as I was going into my 3rd humidor with only 3 cigars in my hand thinking "way to go, Misc -- you moron...!" I guess I'll grab a couple of duplicates, just in case more than one person wants to try the same thing.

As the box goes around to each person, and they post their story of cigar generosity, I'll add more stories related to how I came to having these cigars, etc. "It was a dark night in the city, and every cigar has a story to tell..." ;)

Ok, here's the starting line-up:

1 Monte Cristo Petite (something or other)
2 Jose Marti Double Corona
3 e-stix “Striper”
4 La Unica #200, Natural
5 La Flor de Maria Mancini
6 Genuine Counterfiet Cuban Torpedo
7 Perdomo^2 Rhombus
8 Indian Tabac Maduro Box Press
9 Speakeasy Gangsters
10 Vegas de Santiago
11 Monte Cruz Negra Cubana
12 Temple Hall Estates
13 El Rey De Mundo Flor de Llenza Torpedo
14 ERDM FdL (as #13)
15 Primo del Rey La Romana
16 PdR LR (As #15)

Box goes in the mail tomorrow (Wednesday) morning, with or without Matalo's address. (If he's quick about getting it to me, we can re-insert him in the order, later.)

Heh, this is turning into the pass where I work off all my bad-karma from saying all those mean things about cats :p

Anyway, I sent Gekko a thank you card for being in my 1st pass, and it came back, today, "addressee unknown." Sent to the same address I used for the pass -- I hope he didn't move, or something.

Anyway, I have an e-mail in to him, asking for corrected address, but I guess this won't go out Wednesday, after all.

*Soon*! :D

Ok...

I can't seem to get ahold of Gekko -- he's no longer listed in his old city, and he didn't answer e-mail in the past couple of days, maybe he moved or something. Anyway, I pulled him out of the order. If I get an address from him reasonably soon, maybe we can re-insert him. Otherwise, our little fireside story group is a nice, even half-dozen (plus me :))

New order:

“Joe M.” RIO RANCHO, NM
Mickey, the Wonder Dog Georgetown, TX
“Matalo” Venus, TX
“Techmaster-1” Kentwood, MI
“Nestsdad” Nashua, NH
"Smokin' Tone" Brooklyn, NY
“Misc” Mountain View, CA

And, she's going out first thing in the a.m. (Friday).

Normally I like to do this, anyway -- but especially since I've had some addressing troubles -- as the guy before you posts "got the box", please post to this group "I'm still home, not dead, not on vacation, at the same address, and generally available to receive cigars."

Thanks! :)

Next post (after the DC# of the box) will be "My Brush With Fame", the story of how one man sent me over 2 boxes of assorted cigars, just for the hell of it.

I'M HOME AND I'M READY :D can't wait, and getting my cigars ready :thumbs:

i am jobless and almost always home doing nothing so i am ready for the pass and if anyone feels the need to send me like ohhh say a winning lotto ticket or a bunch of cigars will do.....also a extra thanks to Joe M for the nice cigars he sent me as well as the smokeless ashtray...thanks again

I'm home, just 'a waitin..... :)

I'll also be checking the board more than once every 3 or 4 days now, too. Pretty good idea, huh? :D

Anyway, the smokes are waiting... I don't know if I would say I was giddy, but I'm looking forward to it. This should be fun!

Mickey

Moved to [Cigar Passes In Progress] as requested.

RECEIVED THE BOX TODAY :) was expecting a DC# POST and some stories? well i will crack it open tonight (and i mean crack it, boy there is enough tape on this baby to hold a trailer down in a tornado :p ... are we still doing 2 takes and puts or 3? well i will get on it tonight and post my stories later. i will get the box out tomorrow so it's heading your way Mickey!

Oops, wife posted the box and didn't give me the DC receipt -- sorry. Well, it got there. Actually, she told me 3 times "it's out in the car", but you already know how lazy I am... :p

Ok, "my brush with fame." Well, sort-a.

Pretty much, JR Cigars gets 92.7% of my cigar business, and I totally dig them. They're fast, efficient, informative, have a wide selection, and are cheap.

As a newbie to the hobby, I'd taken it upon myself to try their weekly specials every time I ordered something -- I figured that was a good way to broaden my horizons. So, when I placed and order a while back, and they had TWO weekly specials -- each a 10-box of something with the Havana2000 wrapper (something that I'd been reading a lot about, and was anxious to try) -- I ordered both a box of he Henry Clay and the Santa Damiana. For comparative purposes, you understand! :)

The cigars came the same day as my 1st pass was to go out, and I was also doing a trade on the side, so I tossed one of each in my pass, and 2 each in the trade -- putting the rest in my file-idor to "settle in." (My theory was, people have been so generous to me, I should probably start being generous, too, and handing out cigars :))

My trade box comes, and it rocks.

Then I get an e-mail from my trader: Dude! 4 moldy cigars -- both HCs and SDs. Ut oh...

I e-mail the first person on my first pass (Gekko777, who I can't seem to get ahold of, so he missed this pass :\) and ask him to watch for mold in those two cigars. They got it; he replaced them (Thanks, Gekk!) So, I check the remainder of my stash: every single cigar moldy. So I go to JR's web page, and fire off an e-mail asking how to exchange them. What I didn't know was that their e-mail server exploded about an hour before I sent this, and was down for 3 days. A week later, I call their 800# "hey, what the heck? Don't you guys answer e-mail?" Anyway, they were polite to me, and offered to send me a fresh box, asap, which they did. I store it. An hour later, I think "I should probably check these, too". Moldy. 10 out of 10. I call back, "hey, can I just send these back -- I don't want another box, I'll just sit & think about what to order, later", sure, no sweat.

So, I'm telling this story over on ASC, trying to give an unbiased report about my experience, and a few of the regulars there who are also big JR fans write to the the owner, the #2 guy and their assistants, saying "WTF?!" on my behalf.

The next day, I get a phone message from Steve Saka (#2 honcho at the JR juggernaugt (500,000,000 cigars a year -- over 1,000,000 per day! (and they're closed weekends!))) asking me to call him back on his personal cell. I do, and we have this great chat for about 45 minutes during which I'm amazed at how conversational the guy is, and I have no sense, whatsoever that this super cigar dude is trying to rush through this and get me off the phone (this is the "brush with fame" part. What, you were expecting Barry Bonds, or something? :p) In the end, he asks for my address, he wants to send me a couple of cigars that he likes. I explain that it isn't necessary, but there's no stopping a man intent on sending you cigars, so I give in and tell him. (He's got my adx on file, anyway, since I order regularly from his company.)

2 days later, the nice postman arrives with a box containing 42 assorted cigars. OVER TWO BOXES of cigars and a nice note, just to pacify a customer who wasn't really that upset, anyway.

So, this pass has several cigars that are gifts of Steve Saka, cigar bigwig, generous gentleman, and all around helluva guy.

In fact, I think I might just go smoke a Saka cigar right now!

Pretty damn nice guy that Saka character ;)

Great story, just goes to show how great customer service will win time and time again, especcially when the big man makes the call :)

Ok, so I was not able to open the box until this a.m. so I am sorry for the delay. My takes were:
Genuine counterfeit Cuban
Indian Tabac maduro
Monte Cruz Negra Cubana

My puts are:
H. Upmann 2000 perfection “A” 9X52 (actual gift, it scares the hell out of me)
Macanudo petit corona (copy)
A member of my hunting group named Jake gave these 2 to me. We have a tradition in our group that the person who gets the largest animal gets a cigar from all in the group. My trophy was a very large bull moose; I was able to harvest this animal while he was “getting his grove on” and with one lucky shot he went right down during the act. And to our surprise he past “saluting the flag” if you get my drift, not to be too graphic but this boy was sporting a softball bat! So a few months ago I received a box from my buddy Jake with a note “the upmann represents the moose, and the mac, well it’s all you”

My next put is from the fine gentlemen at my local tobacco shop (cigars4u.com) this is a copy of a b-day gift: Astral tvs robusto

My other put is for Ted, this one is from a box gifted to me on my b-bay by my cousin Paul, he was a commodities broker at the world trade center and lost his life on 9/11, Ted I would appreciate if you smoke this one on that day in the up coming year. Don Diego grande maduro

Well I will reseal this puppy and have it in the mail today… will post DC# ASAP.

COMING AT YA MICKY!!!

JOE.M. said:
Ok, so I was not able to open the box until this a.m. so I am sorry for the delay.
Don't worry about it -- great cigars, great stories.

So, uh... at one end of the continuum, we have "smoke a moose-dong", while at the sober end, we have "smoke one for my cousin, lost in the WTC on 9/11" -- wow, that pretty much covers everything.

I will, indeed, mark that special cigar for 9/11/03, and will say a little prayer for your cousin and his comrades.

Yeah, one of the cigars Saka sent me was a 5-pack of 8.5x54s -- I'm pretty sure it takes two people to smoke one of those :D Perhaps they're intended as a "party cigar", where a group of friends pass it around...

JOE.M. said:
Ok, so I was not able to open the box until this a.m.
That's because Misc own partial interest in a shipping tape company! :D

Okay, I'm ready! <Puts on catcher's glove> Put'er right over the plate!

Mickey

box on it's way! DC# 03020980000265468067

Mickey said:
That's because Misc own partial interest in a shipping tape company! :D
Actually, I used the same box (and tupperware) as I used for my 1st pass ("all my other passes" <G>) -- so that's all tape from the first one :) I figure, If I keep using the same unit, eventually the cardboard will all wear away, but I'll have a box made out of tape :p

Ok, I *WAS* going to tell you a story about Mickey, but I think I'll wait until AFTER he forwards the box, so this story is about... <checks notes...> Rudy.

Rudy of Vegas de Santiago Cigars is a nice enough guy, if a bit eager to tell the world about his cigars, of which he is very proud, and rightfully so. He made the mistake (or someone did on his behalf, or... well, it all seems to be a big mix-up) of posting a "stealth spam" on ASC. If you've ever read alt.smokers.cigars, you know that those guys can be pretty rough on spammers, and they lost no time telling in no uncertain terms him to take it to ASC.marketplace.

...Which he did, but a few people seemed to want to follow him there and ride him a while. At one point, Rudy made some comment about how he liked VdS cigars better than the cubans, and someone replied, in effect, "I bet they're dog rockets", to which Rudy replied "tell you what, send me your address, I'll mail you a free 5-pack, and you can judge for yourself."

As this whole thing was turning into a dog-pile, with a few ASCers lambasting Rudy, who was doing his best to remain polite & professional, I emailed him directly, saying (words to the effect of) "that is a very generous offer. If you would send me a sample of your cigars, I will give them my honest review, as well as describe my interaction with your company, on ASC". He did, I did, and there's been no end of accusations about my "purchased" review, stealth spam, etc., and now it's sort of a running gag over in ASC for half the folks to say things like "I really enjoyed my cigars from www.vegassantiago.com, and think that everyone should go to www.vegassantiago.com and order some of those fine Vegas de Santiago cigars from www.vegassantiago.com..." [etc], while the other half asks "so, does anyone know anything about these new Vegas de Santiago cigars?", etc.

Anywho... I liked 'em. To be honest, my 1st ever experience with cuban cigars was mediocre -- it wasn't a bad cigar, but it wasn't a great cigar, either, and I couldn't imagine why anyone would buy a box at $8/each -- so I can honestly say I like the VdS better than every (one!) Cuban I've ever smoked.

Hmmm, maybe I'll go try another Cuban (gift from Mikey! :D), today. He swears it's a good one, this time :p

Btw, VdS is cooperatively owned by ~200 tobacco farmers (in Costa Rica), and they have a very "family business" approach to things. Their web-site is interesting reading, and their cigars are pretty good, too :)

Reading through the passes and saw your post on Vegas de Santiago. I tried to read the site but I failed spanish in HS. Did I miss a link to a english site? ???

Wascal

My bad -- I typed the link from memory, rather than looking it up.

The link in my post (above) has been fixed. Try now.

It got here today!! Man, this thing was well packed. Once I got past the tape and the bubble wrap, I found a great collection of smokes to choose from.

My takes were:

La Unica 200
La Flor de Maria Mancini
Temple Hall Estates

All smokes I have heard good things about, but never tried.

My puts were:

Fidalgo Negro Churchill (Frz, from ASC)
Pleiades Churchill (Misc)
Ramon Alones (Frz)
Mayorga Robusto Maduro (CigarBid)

The only one that really has a story would be the Pleiades. When I first "met" Misc I was trying to give away some Indian Tabac and Perdomo cigars I thought were to strong for me at the time. I believe I threw in some others to round out the package.

Then I sent him some others I had, because I like Misc, and I liked these smokes, so they just naturally went together. :D I never aksed for anything in trade, because I know it would all balance oout in the long run.

After a month or two, I got a hell of of care package from ol' Misc. A whole slew of cigars, including the Pleiades and some other good stuff. Plus there were some paperback books, that showed he knew my taste (or lack of same), and a hardback book that may just be the funniest damn thing I've ever seen, called "The Gallery of Regrettable Foods". After a couple pages you have to put it down because your stomach hurts from laughing.

Sorry, not much of a story there.

Matalo, I will be packing up the box tonight, and mailing it from Dallas when I'm up there tomorrow (Sat). I will post the DC as soon as I have it, and you should have it in no time!