• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The human element of the game

ManInBlack

Does MLB need to make greater use of video replay? In the wake of Jim Joyce's blown call that cost Armando Galarraga his perfect game, we are already hearing many loud calls for MLB to bring in more video replay. The arguments for increased use of replay are relatively straightforward: replay will ensure that the right calls are made and, ultimately, that the integrity of the game is preserved. The primary arguments against this move, as I understand them, are that increased use of replay would slow the games down and that it would remove the human element from the game. As badly as I feel for Galarraga (and for Joyce for that matter), I have to say that I am quite attached to the human element of baseball. I just can't quite put my finger on what that human element is or on what it brings to the game. It seems to me that increased use of replay would go some distance towards somehow sterilizing baseball. I am just having difficulty describing that element of the game that I fear would be lost if video replay were used extensively. Anyone have any thoughts on this question?

I think part of "the human element" has to do with the umpire always being right. When an Umpire makes a call, that's it. If, say a 1st base ump were called on as to whether a batter made a swing or it was checked, and he hesitated for too long then he would be ridiculed for not being a decisive umpire. The Umpire calls them as they see them. Put a bunch of instant replays into baseball and you're discrediting the umpires.

As BBS says

"one mans opinion"

Replay will do nothing but turn a 3 hour game into a 4 hour game. And I don't feel bad for Joyce. How can you get that call wrong? It wasn't even close! It's one thing if it was an inch or two, on a bang bang play, and then you chalk it up to the human element. But when the batter is out by a full step and the umpire is in the proper position and still blows the call, something's going on. Hopefully it isn't part of the recent movement of officials wanting the spotlight on themselves.

Replay will do nothing but turn a 3 hour game into a 4 hour game. And I don't feel bad for Joyce. How can you get that call wrong? It wasn't even close! It's one thing if it was an inch or two, on a bang bang play, and then you chalk it up to the human element. But when the batter is out by a full step and the umpire is in the proper position and still blows the call, something's going on. Hopefully it isn't part of the recent movement of officials wanting the spotlight on themselves.

I agree that the call was beyond comprehension. However, I don't really know what an umpire with a long and distinguished career would have to gain from forever associating his name with such a botched call.

The umpire apologized and owned up to the mistake, in this day and age in baseball, honesty is hard to come by.

In addition, the pitcher accepted the apology and said it was just a mistake. He didn't make a big deal out of it at all.

So, they still won the game, the umpire apologized, and the pitcher accepted.

Now if we could just get all the fantasy baseball managers out there who had the pitcher in their lineup to drop it, we can move on.

Baseball doesn't need replay, it needs fans and players who understand it's a subjective game and always has been. It's part of the game, like it or not.

Brickhouse, I would have to agree with you.

To play devils advocate however, hasn't the precedent already been set?

From what I've heard on the radio today, they have in the past already given George Brett a home run when the ump called it out (because of pine tar lol), and that one of the commish's (faye vincent I think) went back through the records and decided some 30 or so no-hitters were not no hitters.

Now its not "instant" replay, but what makes one play more or less deserving than any other for determination of such things?

Instant replays on every close plays, no. I wouldn't mind if replays were allowed for final outs in a game or for certain crucial plays. But then what constitutes a crucial play? It just opens up a can of worms. Leave it be.

Had that been me pitching that gem, I would've gone the highly ignorant route and speared that umpire

Well I heard today that Galarraga is getting a place in Cooperstown anyways based on what happened with the whole sportsmanlike type of thing. That and Bud isn't going to overturn the play. Apparantly, Chevy also gave him a new corvette yesterday. I guess it will never be a perfect game, but he still made out pretty well in the end.

mlb has instant replay available for everyone but the people who need it the most. hmmm

mlb has instant replay available for everyone but the people who need it the most. hmmm

Exactly.

I don't understand the "human element of the game" argument. I think you guys are off your rockers. We have this incredible technology to get calls right, why not use it? It took every single one of us about 6 seconds to watch that replay and know the call was wrong.

Not only that, but umpires gather and confer on the field all of the time on questionable calls, such as when an umpire has a bad angle the home plate umpire defers to the first base and third base umpires on check swing appeals. For the life of me cannot understand the opposition to adding a fifth umpire with the means and technology to get calls correct without changing what has already been happening for well over a century (except using improved technology to do so, like better gloves and helmets). It might be a “virtual conference”, but umpires on the field overturn calls face to face already.

Well I heard today that Galarraga is getting a place in Cooperstown anyways based on what happened with the whole sportsmanlike type of thing. That and Bud isn't going to overturn the play. Apparantly, Chevy also gave him a new corvette yesterday. I guess it will never be a perfect game, but he still made out pretty well in the end.

I agree, with one exception... it was a perfect game, though it will not go down in history that way. Everyone knows it, but to overturn it sets a precedence and makes instant replay part of the game (like/agree with it or not).

Ken

I think the only time I'd agree with replay, would be when dealing with: Home Runs, foul balls or close base calls. I won't agree with it if they start using it for balls/strikes or to see if a batter went around or not.

Exactly.

I don't understand the "human element of the game" argument. I think you guys are off your rockers. We have this incredible technology to get calls right, why not use it? It took every single one of us about 6 seconds to watch that replay and know the call was wrong.

Not only that, but umpires gather and confer on the field all of the time on questionable calls, such as when an umpire has a bad angle the home plate umpire defers to the first base and third base umpires on check swing appeals. For the life of me cannot understand the opposition to adding a fifth umpire with the means and technology to get calls correct without changing what has already been happening for well over a century (except using improved technology to do so, like better gloves and helmets). It might be a “virtual conference”, but umpires on the field overturn calls face to face already.

I agree with these.

When you look at how instant replay has been used in football, I'd just assume they don't bring it to baseball. In football when they show a replay and its obvious/no question from the replay, I don't know how many times I've seen them take 5 plus minutes to make a decision. Baseball doesn't need this; however, I would not mind seeing baseball go to some type of electronic/laser system for balls and strikes.

Slippery slope! Just because have instant replay doesn't mean we should use it. Go back to the roots of the game. The game is played in its purest form on sandlots, parking lots, open fields, streets, or where ever you can find the room and even some places where there's not the room. The focus should be on the game and not the technology. Today we are crying for instant replay, next we will want to get rid of the wooden bat because there are materials that allow us to hit the ball farther. After that we will want performance enhancing drugs (legal or other) for the athletes because they boost performance (arguable). I'd rather watch old men play softball at the community park than watch professionals play baseball on manicured fields where every call is monitored, argued, reviewed, confirmed, overturned or whatever.

Let it be the game it was intended to be.

Cheers,

Tony

P.S. If we get rid of umpires, who are you going to blame for your team losing a close one?

I'm sorry Tony, but just doesn't make sense. It's not a slippery slope. It's not changing the game, it's changing how the game is officiated. It's not related to metal bats, steroids, etc. - those all change how the game is played. Instant replay is making sure the play on the field determines the outcome and not the human error of an umpire. The focus will be more on the game and less on the officials.

it sounds like you don't like technology, which is fine. But, I'm assuming you like football, right? What red-blooded American doesn't? Do you want them playing in leather helmets? Those are the "roots of the game" are they not?

We evolve. Embrace it.

As for your old guys playing softball, I can't think of a worse thing to watch!

As for your old guys playing softball, I can't think of a worse thing to watch!

Womens 6 on 6 basketball was pretty brutal to watch.

You wouldn't say that if it were Playmates playing 6 on 6 naked!
sign.gif