• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The human element of the game

I'm sorry Tony, but just doesn't make sense. It's not a slippery slope. It's not changing the game, it's changing how the game is officiated. It's not related to metal bats, steroids, etc. - those all change how the game is played. Instant replay is making sure the play on the field determines the outcome and not the human error of an umpire. The focus will be more on the game and less on the officials.

it sounds like you don't like technology, which is fine. But, I'm assuming you like football, right? What red-blooded American doesn't? Do you want them playing in leather helmets? Those are the "roots of the game" are they not?

We evolve. Embrace it.

As for your old guys playing softball, I can't think of a worse thing to watch!

I'd just rather not see technology replace umpires. Umpires are part of the game. Pitchers know an umpire's strike zone. Some are batter friendly and some are pitcher friendly and teams adjust accordingly. If we review close calls on the bases why not balls & strikes in crucial situations? Does a home plate umpire's judgement carry more weight than a base umpire's? I was surprised to see Galarraga only rung up three batters but how many of his 24 strikes were actually balls? Should we go back and look at the third strike to see if it really was a strike as defined in the rules? It's kind of a weak because there were only 3 Ks but you get the point.

Technology is a good thing. Anything that protects the player is great. But we've already got umpires on the field to call the game. Why undermine their ability to operate by subjecting them to that kind of scrutiny? I don't think the umpire's union is going to allow that to happen. Technology should be used to advance the game of baseball (big picture) not the game between two teams (little picture).

I hate that this happened, I grew up in Cleveland and am an Indians fan. Galarrage and the Tigers played a perfect game. The umpire erred just like a shortstop errs when he throws one into the firstbase dugout. It happens. Embrace it.

Cheers,

Tony

P.S. Yup, love football! GO BROWNS!!!!