• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The Lead to Gold Experiment

OpusXKC

MOΛΩN ΛABE
So after rummaging through the humidor I found some older cigars from my "college days". During that time I would buy cheap bundles and hope that they were ok to smoke. Money was tight so I had to make due.

Well now I find some of these cigars sitting around with 2-4 years of age on them and wonder, "Hmm... wonder if these got any better". So simply put I placed fire to 3 sticks and found out.

First up was an Unbanded Nicaraguan Churchhill of some design. I found quickly that my hopes for this cigar were unfounded. A taste of brown grass and damp burning wood entered and took over my mouth and nose. This smoke was dry, and had the mouth feel of licking sand. After an inch this stick was put to rest. Well 0 for 3.

Next up a "Fohiba" or Yellow Band Dominican Cohiba. I remember at the time I thought that $39 for a box of Cohiba's, good deal. Guess what, I was wrong. This stick felt like a log. Tight and nearly imposible to draw on, even with a full cut. With a little fire too it I found out what it would be like to smoke a UPS box. So I quickly tried to kill my ash try with the stabing action from my cigar. Now we are still 0 for 3.

Best for last, not really. I then cut a Lone Wolf SunGrown Torpedo I had around. Surely Chuck Noris can provide me with a decent cigar. After a cut an a quick dry draw, I thought that I tasted bee's wax and got excited. Then I little the damn thing. So, if you want to smoke an issue of People Magazine, grab one of these darling's.

So, final score 0 for 3. Kinda makes sad, but then again as us programmers say, "Junk in. Junk out"

edit:spelling

I'd say a lot of this "aging cheap cigars" racket is circumstancial. I've got some cheap cigars with just under a year of age on them so far. One batch being some Honduran Factory Corojos that I got ahold of one year ago this month. Smoked one right after I got them and then didn't smoke another until late July. Even in that small timeframe, I noticed an improvement in the cigar.

I'm sure some cigars (like maybe the ones you mentioned, Tony) are so bad to begin with that there's no chance of improvement. I'm sure some, however, may be cheap but can become some decent sticks with the right amount of age on them.

Dude, I hope you followed up with something nice. I'd hate to see you risk permenant brain damage.
Don't worry, I had a Tatuaje Lancero and a Padron 1926 #35 earlier in the day. So I am doing ok :cool: . Thanks for the concern :thumbs: .

I guess cigars are like wines when it come to ageing. Some do age beautifully others don't at all and they can even turn vinegary. :) Some will improve for many years or even decades some for less.

All that being said there are some cheaper cigars that do age fantastically, especially the ISOM's.

yes I am trying this right now with some cheap smokes I bought a while back. They were horrible to start, and I smoked another last week which was equally as bad. Luckily a buddy of mine came in from Cali and loved them! He put away 3 of them for me in a night.

Brandon

I am currently aging a box of sancho Panza extra fuertes. They aren't the most expensive (60 a box) But i was told if you find a cigar you like, buy a box and age it. I just got a humidor a few months ago, so the SP EF only have 5 or so months of age on them, but i'm excited to see how they do!

I think the Sancho's will work out fine. The problem for me want the "cheap" price of the cigar, it was the "cheap" quality of the tobacco. I have smoked some aged Sancho's and they turn out fine :thumbs:

A cheap cigar for ageing is always interesting to me. Usually i think that cheap cigars are aged because they are not actively smoked. I also think the concept to me of buying cheap cigars to age is a bit off. If I buy cheaper cigars - its because I don`t have the cash for better ones. I think that inexpensive cigars you like will age okay- but unless you are trying to cure burn issues ones that are nasty will remain as such. I have only bought a couple of B-M bundles and they have well aged now(years) And they haven`t developed any better quality! With cigars ageing improves by subtraction not addition.

syrinx said:
A cheap cigar for ageing is always interesting to me. Usually i think that cheap cigars are aged because they are not actively smoked. I also think the concept to me of buying cheap cigars to age is a bit off. If I buy cheaper cigars - its because I don`t have the cash for better ones. I think that inexpensive cigars you like will age okay- but unless you are trying to cure burn issues ones that are nasty will remain as such. I have only bought a couple of B-M bundles and they have well aged now(years) And they haven`t developed any better quality! With cigars ageing improves by subtraction not addition.
[snapback]290758[/snapback]​

Interesting take on this and one that I think makes good sense. I think it's useful to make the practical distinction between inexpensive cigars that are made with quality tobacco and inexpensive cigars that are, well, cheap.

The first class will often turn out to be tasty in their own special way given some time. I don't think it makes sense to say that with time a $3 stick will become the "equivalent" in any precise or definable way to a more expensive and better cigar. It will simply become what it will become and hopefully that is something enjoying and worthwhile.

The second class will often have begun expiring even before they've hit the shelves so there's just no point in prolonging the pain or wasting the valuable humi space.

Did this sort of capture what you were talking about?

Wilkey

I read an article about Orlando Reyes (or whatever his name is) of Puros Indios in Cigar Aficionado, and was curious about his smokes, so I ordered a bundle and box of Cuba Aliados, and a box of Puros Indios from CBid (cost me like 60 bucks for all three). My intention, to age them and turn them into good smokes(and to fill my new coolerdor). Your ananlysis is a bit disheartening, but I still have hope. These cigars smell a bit like a hampsters cage or something. :blush: Well anyways, I will try them in about a month or so.

wb1948 said:
I read an article about Orlando Reyes (or whatever his name is) of Puros Indios in Cigar Aficionado, and was curious about his smokes, so I ordered a bundle and box of Cuba Aliados, and a box of Puros Indios from CBid (cost me like 60 bucks for all three). My intention, to age them and turn them into good smokes(and to fill my new coolerdor). Your ananlysis is a bit disheartening, but I still have hope. These cigars smell a bit like a hampsters cage or something. :blush: Well anyways, I will try them in about a month or so.
[snapback]291991[/snapback]​

The puros indios cigars are pretty good cigars, nothing super but smokable. And they do taste better with age on them. The cuba aliados, I have no experiance with.

Not trying to thread jack or anything but have recently performed a similar study and though it appropriate to add to the thread:

I had a bundle of the "Fohibas" as you called them, yellow banded Cohibas. As you already stated horrible after 1 year, tight draw and terrible flavor, reminded me of sour milk...just awful.

Next up were Roly bundles, Purios Indios 2nds. The Flavor was okay when I first got them, but construction was terrible causing burn issues. I thought maybe some of it was due to being "wet" still, but no change after 1 year. The 15 or so left will probably sit at the bottom of my cooler forever.

Next up Bahia B-lines, Originally I liked these and smoked them regularly for a while. This was kind of strange, probably the only stick that actually got worse after a year, at least in terms of what I like. No taste to them, reminded me of smoking hay. Another one that will sit forever.

This story does end with somewhat of a happy ending though, I had 2 cheap bundles that sort of panned out: La Floridita bundles I though were a pretty good value and enjoyed smoking them originally. After a year I was pleasantly surprised. I wasn't blown away, but wouldn't have an issue smoking one every now and again. Camacho Factory nudes were next, again they had a great flavor profile when I first got them but had serious burn issues in the 3 that I tried. These only have about 7 months on them and while the burn issues haven't completely cleared up the flavor is great. I really enjoy these, they require minor touch ups, which I can deal with for a buck a piece.

Being on a budget, I rarely get a chance to smoke anything over $5 a stick, so I have spent a little time researching inexpensive cigars.
Wilkey nailed it pretty good with the difference between "inexpensive cigars that are made with quality tobacco and inexpensive cigars that are, well, cheap". La Floriditas seem to age decently, and I have some Flor de Olivas that I bought for less than $1.5 a stick that I really enjoy after only 6 months. And in any cheap cigar conversation you cant forget about the Consuegras. I have tried a couple Fire cigars that were alright after about 6 months.
Generally it seems like some of the better cheap cigars come from cigar manufacturers that release "budget" lines
Factory seconds seem to have better flavor than the budget lines, but more construction issues (the reason they are seconds), so it is kind of a trade off.

A cigar that tastes like sh*t when you buy it, is most likely going to still taste like sh*t a year later. Now, if you find a cheap cigar you like? Then in a year it will most likely be a nice flavorful cigar.

I got some cheapies and while they have aged, some have improved but MOST haven't all is well. Thats the stuff i sell to my fraternity borthers who always see me getting cigars and are like "Dude can i have one?"

Back