• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The "Newbie Reviews"

Wow I am going to run and hide behind a rock now. :laugh: I thought I was smoking me a cuban and I was smoking a freaking curly head. This is much harder than I thought it would be. I keep trying to fight off the urge of looking at the cigar shape and size. When I look and think I start to get a idea in my head of what it may be or possibly could be.

To all of those that have not tried this blind testing you got to try it. Unless you have a very good palate(which it is obvious I do not)this is hard as hell. Still cannot believe I thought I was smoking a cuban and was smoking a curly head. Damn you could have told me you had some cubans without the bands and I would have bought them and the whole time I would have just bought a box of curly heads. :blush:

To all of those that have not tried this blind testing you got to try it. Unless you have a very good palate (which it is obvious I do not) this is hard as hell.

Agree.

The test I'm doing with Greg has left my stumped more than once. It's impossible to ignore what the cigar "looks" like and its shape/size. I always post preconceptions with the reviews because of this.

Cigar #3

Well since we're down to only 2 reviewers, let's see how they did with the third installment.

Q The Cop's Review

I put this puppy out of its little baggie and noticed the wrapper had a small crack (about a half inch) on the foot, and a hole in the wrapper leaf near it was well. It didn’t look to bad so I figured it wouldn’t affect anything, and I was right, it didn’t. The pre-light smell had a wonderfully strong cedar aroma to it, which was nice. I couldn’t taste much on the cold draw, and it offered very little in the way of resistance. Time to fire this puppy up!

The first third had a cedary-musty taste to it, like how an old book smells, as well as sweet tobacco. I detected a very faint coco flavor in the back ground, though it was not very pronounced, and there was a VERY slight spice on the back of the tongue. The resting smoke, sinus tastes and flavors made it taste just like an AF Short Story to me. The ash was a very light gray with a slightly flaky ash, but not to the point of flaking off.

The second third was met with the same flavors. They didn’t change very much at all, which was kind of a disappointment, but I was enjoying them just fine. The spice had picked up slightly, but it wasn’t enough to really be all that noticeable. It still tasted and smelled like a Short Story to me. The burn and burn line never faltered and was razor sharp. Nice easy draw with HUGE volumes of smoke.

The final third was the same as the others, all pretty one-dimensional but still tasted amazing. I still think this is a Hemingway blend but the cigar didn’t look like one. I didn’t really take a close look at the foot before I lit it to see if it had been cut to hide the nipple, so I couldn’t be sure. But damn if it didn’t taste and smell just like it.

All in all this was a very tasty smoke. I loved the flavors of this cigar. I hope I find out what this really is so I can go buy a box, as it would definitely be in my rotation. I would have to say this is a NC, and I would but the country of origin as the Dominican Republic. Now to find out how bad I suck at this!

pembroke 3355's Review

This cigar had a crack in the wrapper about half way down that went through to the binder. I was only able to get to the slightly over the 1/2 way point before I had to let it die. Pre-light draw felt loose(could have been due to the crack). The aroma of this stick was good. The burn was good till it hit the crack then I could no longer control it.

I found this to be medium bodied. I was having a real hard time getting the quantity of smoke that I normally do(I think it was due to the crack in the stick). I kept tasting a orange peel type of taste with the first 1/3 of the stick. The second 3rd became more of a woody tobacco taste that stayed medium bodied.

I really struggled with the last 1/3 of the stick and only got part way through with it due to the burn issues. I liked the flavor profile of the stick. I usually like a little more zing but this was ok. If I had to guess I would say Dominican

Sorry about the flaw in that smoke.

I find it amazing how similar our reviewer's tastes and conclusions have been through the first 3 smokes!!

Smoke #3 was:

AVO LE 08 Tesoro
Wrapper - Sungrown Equadorian

Blend: Piloto, Olor & San Vincente tobaccos.

Again, it's a shame pembroke's smoke was damaged, as I find these to be a very tasty cigar. Plenty of smoke, with just enough spice to hang on the back of your throat throughout.

Great job guys!!

I have both reviews of #4, so I'll post them tomorrow.

Cigar #3

Well since we're down to only 2 reviewers, let's see how they did with the third installment.

Q The Cop's Review

I put this puppy out of its little baggie and noticed the wrapper had a small crack (about a half inch) on the foot, and a hole in the wrapper leaf near it was well. It didn’t look to bad so I figured it wouldn’t affect anything, and I was right, it didn’t. The pre-light smell had a wonderfully strong cedar aroma to it, which was nice. I couldn’t taste much on the cold draw, and it offered very little in the way of resistance. Time to fire this puppy up!

The first third had a cedary-musty taste to it, like how an old book smells, as well as sweet tobacco. I detected a very faint coco flavor in the back ground, though it was not very pronounced, and there was a VERY slight spice on the back of the tongue. The resting smoke, sinus tastes and flavors made it taste just like an AF Short Story to me. The ash was a very light gray with a slightly flaky ash, but not to the point of flaking off.

The second third was met with the same flavors. They didn’t change very much at all, which was kind of a disappointment, but I was enjoying them just fine. The spice had picked up slightly, but it wasn’t enough to really be all that noticeable. It still tasted and smelled like a Short Story to me. The burn and burn line never faltered and was razor sharp. Nice easy draw with HUGE volumes of smoke.

The final third was the same as the others, all pretty one-dimensional but still tasted amazing. I still think this is a Hemingway blend but the cigar didn’t look like one. I didn’t really take a close look at the foot before I lit it to see if it had been cut to hide the nipple, so I couldn’t be sure. But damn if it didn’t taste and smell just like it.

All in all this was a very tasty smoke. I loved the flavors of this cigar. I hope I find out what this really is so I can go buy a box, as it would definitely be in my rotation. I would have to say this is a NC, and I would but the country of origin as the Dominican Republic. Now to find out how bad I suck at this!

pembroke 3355's Review

This cigar had a crack in the wrapper about half way down that went through to the binder. I was only able to get to the slightly over the 1/2 way point before I had to let it die. Pre-light draw felt loose(could have been due to the crack). The aroma of this stick was good. The burn was good till it hit the crack then I could no longer control it.

I found this to be medium bodied. I was having a real hard time getting the quantity of smoke that I normally do(I think it was due to the crack in the stick). I kept tasting a orange peel type of taste with the first 1/3 of the stick. The second 3rd became more of a woody tobacco taste that stayed medium bodied.

I really struggled with the last 1/3 of the stick and only got part way through with it due to the burn issues. I liked the flavor profile of the stick. I usually like a little more zing but this was ok. If I had to guess I would say Dominican

Sorry about the flaw in that smoke.

I find it amazing how similar our reviewer's tastes and conclusions have been through the first 3 smokes!!

Smoke #3 was:

AVO LE 08 Tesoro
Wrapper - Sungrown Equadorian

Blend: Piloto, Olor & San Vincente tobaccos.

Again, it's a shame pembroke's smoke was damaged, as I find these to be a very tasty cigar. Plenty of smoke, with just enough spice to hang on the back of your throat throughout.

Great job guys!!

I have both reviews of #4, so I'll post them tomorrow.

No biggie on the damage I still enjoyed the smoke very much. :thumbs:

Man this is good stuff! Think I might of found a staple in this last cigar, man was that thing good! Seems are tastes and countries are the same... albeit WRONG! Keep 'em coming JS, can't wait to read the rest!

Review of Cigar #4

Q_The_Cop's Review

Cigar #4

I pulled this cigar out of it’s baggie and was like “WOW, this is a long one!” It was nice Lancero, with a medium brown wrapper, with no real veins to speak of. There were a couple of chips in the wrapper, and a small hole in the wrapper leaf about an inch from the head. There was an almost Tootsie Roll like aroma. It had no pre-light flavor that I could detect at all, and the draw had very little resistance. Time to light this puppy up!
I was met with huge volumes of creamy smoke during the first third. I could feel the residue on my tongue after I blew the smoke out. I was getting a hint of vanilla in the smoke coming off of it as I was taking notes. Later on I tasted something like raw pecan in there as well. The burn got a little uneven and required 3 corrections through the entire smoke. The ash was a light gray and kind of fragile. It would usually fall off after about a half inch.
In the second third there was a woody flavor that crept in with all the other flavors. I would describe the body as a solid medium. The smoke was just as creamy as in the first third. It’s weird, I haven’t had a cigar leave that feeling on the roof of my mouth and tongue after I was done with it before. I can still feel it even as I write this. (About 20 minutes after)
In the final third I could taste something I could only describe as brown sugar, it was very faint, but it was there. All the other flavors remained that I tasted through the other two thirds. They just stacked up on each other. The wrapper started to crack at the hole that was near the head but I burned right through it as I nubbed this baby.
I liked this one, and would say in my opinion it was a Cuban. I would smoke another one of these given the chance. It had some nice flavors I haven’t tasted in a cigar yet.

pembroke 3355's Review

This was a long cigar I would guess a lonsdale possibly. It was constructed well with some slight veins. Pre-draw reminded me of a woody taste. Cigar was firm with no real soft spots.

I toasted the foot and was greeted with a mild to medium bodied woody taste. The first 3rd of the stick stayed kind of mellow with some wood and nut notes to it. The second 3rd remained mild to medium with mostly a woody taste. The aroma was hard to tell as it was a nice day out so I smoked this outside.

As the last 3rd was being smoked I realized that this cigar burned perfect it never went off track. I also got throw for a loop as the last 3rd kicked in with some peppery spice that kind of shocked me after the first 2/3. I smoked this bad boy to the nub. I liked the cigar probably a 6 out of 10 would have been higher if more of it was like the last 3rd. I really do not have a clue to what country this belongs to. If I were forced to pick I would say Dominican.

Well our reviewers agree they both liked this smoke, but both have very different opinions on its origin. Q feels that it's of Cuban origin, where pembroke thinks it came from the DR. Guys, I hate to tell you, but you're both wrong ... ??? ! The cigar in question is a:

Graycliff - Original series (Professional - red label) Elegante
Origin - Bahamas
Wrapper - Indonesian
Blend of Nicaraguan, Brazilian, and DR tobaccos.

I picked up a box of these while on vacation at The Graycliff last year.

My Trip to The Graycliff

These are, IMHO, a truly great cigar that while, admittedly, a bit overpriced never fail to deliver on flavor.

I must admit to throwing this one in as a kind of curve ball, as many of my friends who have tried them, think they are of Cuban origin as well.

Down to our last smoke, so keep those reviews coming!!

Q The Cop's Review

The first third had a cedary-musty taste to it, like how an old book smells, as well as sweet tobacco. I detected a very faint coco flavor in the back ground, though it was not very pronounced, and there was a VERY slight spice on the back of the tongue. The resting smoke, sinus tastes and flavors made it taste just like an AF Short Story to me.

Smoke #3 was:

I'm a fan of the AVO LEs. I have never tasted anything like this in an LE. :laugh: Good stuff. They all seem to have the Davidoff grassy thing going on. Which is a good thing, for me. I love it. I don't get any spice out of them either. Oh well, great review.

Ok I am 0-4. I have a palate of a dead walrus. :laugh: This cigar was a very good stick the last 3rd was outstanding. I will do my 5th cigar soon. I am sure I will end up 0-5 but I hope at least I can foul one off. :blush:

Pemmy I KNOW I will be 0 for 5. It's looking pretty bad for us. :laugh: But hey it's all in fun. I know a couple of boxes I will be buying because of this! My 5th one one done a week or so ago, so I can't wait to see how I get panned on this one! :laugh:

Just caught this thread, very cool!

I was surprised as well, but considering the amount of spice in the recent DPG and Tat blends, and the fact that a lot of "newbies" have a great deal of access to those blends, and not the Opus X line of smokes, they equate spice with Nicaraguan smokes...

Regarding the mistaken Opus, that's a good analysis and probably very accurate.

I agree, this thread and the Evil Dr. Moki's thread are extremely interesting and informative. I've enjoyed reading the blind descriptions and have learned a lot from these threads - my thanks/appreciation to the testers!

Ok I am 0-4. I have a palate of a dead walrus. :laugh: This cigar was a very good stick the last 3rd was outstanding. I will do my 5th cigar soon. I am sure I will end up 0-5 but I hope at least I can foul one off. :blush:

Pemmy I KNOW I will be 0 for 5. It's looking pretty bad for us. :laugh: But hey it's all in fun. I know a couple of boxes I will be buying because of this! My 5th one one done a week or so ago, so I can't wait to see how I get panned on this one! :laugh:

Actually, I think you both have damn good palates, as you both are picking up on a lot of flavors, smells, and tastes in everyone of the smokes you reviewed. The fact that you haven't smoked a number of these, or a great number of cigars overall just means you're both in the process of refining your palates.

As tsmckenney pointed out in his post, that "grassy" flavor in the LE 08 is present in most every smoke rolled by Kellner, be it for Davidoff or AVO, and if you have smoked a box or two of them, you might recognize that taste. And the Fuente Curly Head Maduro Delux, IMHO, is a great smoke for the money, lots of great tobacco flavors, and, generally, it burns pretty well; but it always gets a bad rap due to the fact it is a cut filler smoke.

So keep up the good work, and quit worrying about getting them right or wrong, as has been pointed out numerous times in similar tasting threads, it's not about getting them right or wrong, but finding out about what you like or dislike without being influenced by a fancy band.

One last review to go!!

Our intrepid testers have submitted their final reviews, and they sound like they were both smoking different cigars!!

Q_The_Cop's Review
Cigar #5

It’s Saturday night and I don’t have any plans, so I figured I would review the last cigar for Jack Straw’s Newbie Blind Review. I poured a glass of Dalwhinnie single malt and pulled it out of the cooler.

This smoke was about a 6 x 44 (or so) with a dark brown wrapper. It has a small tear in the wrapper on the foot a half-inch long. I couldn’t taste anything on the pre-light draw, and found it gave very little resistance.

Through the first third, all I could taste was a tobacco flavor. There were no discernable flavors coming through. It was just kind of bland. The ash was a bright whiteish-gray and very compact. A pepper spice through the nose and back of the tongue came in toward the end of the first third that kind of broke the monotony. But that was about it. Nothing special.

During the second third a coffee flavor came in however slight. There was a roasted flavor there as well, though I couldn’t pin down a “roasted what”. A slight creaminess came in on the tongue and the roof of my mouth. Other than that, it stayed exactly the same.
The final third was the same… It was kind of bland and boring. No flavor changes, no tastes worth noting… nothing. I would describe the strength as medium, and that was rock solid and unchanging as well. The cigar wasn’t bad enough to pull out Moki’s Dog Rocket Tasting Wheel, but it was just very uninteresting. As to judging the country of origin, I have no idea. As I said previously I just couldn’t pick anything out. I would probably not smoke one of these again. It was just “meh…”

I want to thank Jack Straw for this opportunity to participate in this blind review. It was a hell of a lot of fun. You get to see what previous product knowledge does to expectations. Just look at the first review, and what the cigar actually was. It was truly a humbling experience, but fun as hell!! Thanks guys, and don’t rib us to hard!! :laugh:

Keith

Sounds like Keith won't be ordering a box of these any time soon!

pembroke 3355's Review
Ok this cigar had a very nice looking chocolate wrapper with only a few minor veins. It was smooth to the touch. It was not to firm or soft. Pre-light draw was pleasant with a meaty tobacco taste.

I toasted the foot and found a very good draw and was hit with some nice spice(not a pepper blast). I also noticed a tangy type of twang to the stick. Right away I was hooked this is my type of smoke.

First 3rd continued to give off a tangy spice taste with just the right amount of nicotine. I am really enjoying this stick. The aroma was a little musty but not unpleasant. The burn was good was a medium gray ash that had some dark spots. The ash was a little flaky but held well.

The 2nd third of the stick became more meaty but still had that wonderful spice twang to it. Now I am really enjoying this smoke.

The last 3rd I noticed a little more of a peppery spice but not over powering. I smoked this one down as far as I could. I feel fairly confident that this was a cuban cigar. Even if not a cuban it smoked like one. I gave this cigar a 9 out of 10 it was the flavor profile I really enjoy. I got to get me some of these.

I really want to thank Jay for doing this. It was very generous and also fun. Jay your a great BOTL and I thank you for the chance to do this. I am really itching to find out what this stick was. :thumbs:

From reading the above reviews, it doesn't sound like the two of these guys were smoking the same sticks! I did make sure that everyone got the same sticks from the same boxes, so I am confident they both got the same cigar, and that cigar was .....

Arturo Fuente 858 natural - brand new box.
Wrapper - Cameroon
Binder and filler - Dominican Republic tobacco

This is my personal "go to" smoke, and I probably smoke 3-5 of them per week. I love the size of the 858, not so big that it's a pain to hold it between your teeth, consistent great flavor from smoke to smoke, and box to box, and at $4.00 - $5.00 a stick, a hell of a smoke for the money!!

I want to thank Keith and Don for being great sports in taking part in "The Newbie Review", as I posted earlier, it's not at all about the destination, it's all about the journey! I hope you guys had as much fun with this as I did, and Keith, I would more than happy to roast you some more coffee in trade for any 858's you have "wasting space" in your humidor!! ;)

Our intrepid testers have submitted their final reviews, and they sound like they were both smoking different cigars!!

Q_The_Cop's Review
Cigar #5

It’s Saturday night and I don’t have any plans, so I figured I would review the last cigar for Jack Straw’s Newbie Blind Review. I poured a glass of Dalwhinnie single malt and pulled it out of the cooler.

This smoke was about a 6 x 44 (or so) with a dark brown wrapper. It has a small tear in the wrapper on the foot a half-inch long. I couldn’t taste anything on the pre-light draw, and found it gave very little resistance.

Through the first third, all I could taste was a tobacco flavor. There were no discernable flavors coming through. It was just kind of bland. The ash was a bright whiteish-gray and very compact. A pepper spice through the nose and back of the tongue came in toward the end of the first third that kind of broke the monotony. But that was about it. Nothing special.

During the second third a coffee flavor came in however slight. There was a roasted flavor there as well, though I couldn’t pin down a “roasted what”. A slight creaminess came in on the tongue and the roof of my mouth. Other than that, it stayed exactly the same.
The final third was the same… It was kind of bland and boring. No flavor changes, no tastes worth noting… nothing. I would describe the strength as medium, and that was rock solid and unchanging as well. The cigar wasn’t bad enough to pull out Moki’s Dog Rocket Tasting Wheel, but it was just very uninteresting. As to judging the country of origin, I have no idea. As I said previously I just couldn’t pick anything out. I would probably not smoke one of these again. It was just “meh…”

I want to thank Jack Straw for this opportunity to participate in this blind review. It was a hell of a lot of fun. You get to see what previous product knowledge does to expectations. Just look at the first review, and what the cigar actually was. It was truly a humbling experience, but fun as hell!! Thanks guys, and don’t rib us to hard!! :laugh:

Keith

Sounds like Keith won't be ordering a box of these any time soon!

pembroke 3355's Review
Ok this cigar had a very nice looking chocolate wrapper with only a few minor veins. It was smooth to the touch. It was not to firm or soft. Pre-light draw was pleasant with a meaty tobacco taste.

I toasted the foot and found a very good draw and was hit with some nice spice(not a pepper blast). I also noticed a tangy type of twang to the stick. Right away I was hooked this is my type of smoke.

First 3rd continued to give off a tangy spice taste with just the right amount of nicotine. I am really enjoying this stick. The aroma was a little musty but not unpleasant. The burn was good was a medium gray ash that had some dark spots. The ash was a little flaky but held well.

The 2nd third of the stick became more meaty but still had that wonderful spice twang to it. Now I am really enjoying this smoke.

The last 3rd I noticed a little more of a peppery spice but not over powering. I smoked this one down as far as I could. I feel fairly confident that this was a cuban cigar. Even if not a cuban it smoked like one. I gave this cigar a 9 out of 10 it was the flavor profile I really enjoy. I got to get me some of these.

I really want to thank Jay for doing this. It was very generous and also fun. Jay your a great BOTL and I thank you for the chance to do this. I am really itching to find out what this stick was. :thumbs:

From reading the above reviews, it doesn't sound like the two of these guys were smoking the same sticks! I did make sure that everyone got the same sticks from the same boxes, so I am confident they both got the same cigar, and that cigar was .....

Arturo Fuente 858 natural - brand new box.
Wrapper - Cameroon
Binder and filler - Dominican Republic tobacco

This is my personal "go to" smoke, and I probably smoke 3-5 of them per week. I love the size of the 858, not so big that it's a pain to hold it between your teeth, consistent great flavor from smoke to smoke, and box to box, and at $4.00 - $5.00 a stick, a hell of a smoke for the money!!

I want to thank Keith and Don for being great sports in taking part in "The Newbie Review", as I posted earlier, it's not at all about the destination, it's all about the journey! I hope you guys had as much fun with this as I did, and Keith, I would more than happy to roast you some more coffee in trade for any 858's you have "wasting space" in your humidor!! ;)

I would like to thank Jay for doing this. I really liked this AF 858 Nat and going to have to get me a box. This cigar for me was full of flavor. I went 0-5 but had a lot of fun doing so. :thumbs:

This thread looked like a lot of fun. Good job to everyone involved, it was a good read :thumbs: :thumbs:

I'm pretty sure I have one or two in one of my humis. They're yours if I have them! Thanks a lot for letting me participate, it was an adventure for sure! You've turned me on to a couple of new brands I would otherwise not have tried. May have to do this again sometime!

Great job guys and good on ya Jay for putting them up to it! As everyone has said, these are a lot of fun for sure! :D