• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The Perfect Martini

There's no accounting for taste, I guess. For me, the best Vodka Martinis are made with Absolute; the best gin with Beefeaters.

Taste is entirely subjective, Doc. Drink what you like, like what you drink, right? :)

Not A Nice Person said:
Don't care for juniper-based gin at all, and dirty martinis taste like ass, but I've had a couple vodka martinis.  Bit too much fuss to go to for me but I got it instantly---it's like drinking an icy, refreshing cloud of hootch.  

Someday I'll invest in a proper shaker and try making one with Hendrick's.  Only gin I like.

~Boar
Hendricks Martini's are excellent I highly recommend giving it a go.  

I stole a recipe from a local steakhouse that was 3 parts Hendricks 3/4 parts St Germain garnish with a fresh slice of cucumber.  Not an every day drinker but, when the mood is right and you have fresh garden cukes, these are Really really tasty.  
As for Gin Plymouths Navy strength That and Hendricks are about the only 2 I buy now.

Also agree on Absolut, too rough for any "delicate" Martini's but damn good in a bloody or anything spicy or with a back bone to it.  Also good in Cape Codders.    

Plymouth gin is supposedly the original Martini gin, but who really knows. There are at least a couple of stories of where and how it originated.

Doc

Devil Doc said:
Plymouth gin is supposedly the original Martini gin, but who really knows. There are at least a couple of stories of where and how it originated.

Doc

They make martinis with Gin? 

Oh yea. But only for folks over five feet tall.

Doc

bfreebern said:

Oh yea. But only for folks over five feet tall.

Doc

Ouch.  Kick him in the shin Gary.

Well, that explains it. Thanks Hank. 

But then again, I don't really have a great view of all the liquor behind any bar...even when sitting on my booster seat on a bar stool. 

I really enjoy American Harvest vodka, makes a damn good martini.  Think I'm going to go home after work and have one.  

Eh... imo, a real martini is made with gin.
Change the base liquor out with vodka and you get a kangaroo. (Damn you James Bond).

With that said, if you order martini at most bars (that I've been to), all you get is chilled vodka. :(

Well hell, I knew about Gin Martinis, but totally forgot during this jaunt. Never had Hendrick's, so high time I got a bottle. I have a bottle of Tanqueray that has been open for like 12 or 13 yrs. Tastes like crap. Don't know if it oxidized, or my palate changed. Same goes for a btl of Absolut. Still trying to decide on a Vodka, and may try that Reyka Vodka from Iceland.

Taken from the "Bar Guide" my Father gave me many years ago:

3 oz gin (I like Beefeaters too)
1 tbs dry vermouth

Shaken over ice

green olives optional

Not being a Gin person at all I go by what my English neighbor says and so far The Botanist made by the Bruichladdich Distillery is the favorite.  For vodka I swear that Quay is the best I've had and I done my fair share (and some of yours too).

AVB said:
Not being a Gin person at all I go by what my English neighbor says and so far The Botanist made by the Bruichladdich Distillery is the favorite.  For vodka I swear that Quay is the best I've had and I done my fair share (and some of yours too).
Hah! Very good. Worth a shot! Thanks, Ray! :thumbs:

I do Meyers from upstate NY - vodka that is. Best I've had. Their 5 grain whiskey is out of this world delicious and constantly sold out.