• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The Pleasure of Traditional Shaving

I like Trumper's Violet and Taylors St James shaving soaps. I use a Vulfix Pure Badger and a Merkur double edge.

Usually, I splash on some Trumpers Eucris or Montale Red Vetyver afterwards.

Excellent.

I strongly encourage you to get the variety blade online. Usually you can get 12 or more brands in one order. It will help you find the right blade for you. I usually use some Arlington but have been known to dry shave in a hurry since I have the technique down!

I, too, enjoy wetshaving. It is the best way for me to shave, and I recently rediscovered it after shaving with a Mach 50000 20-blade razor for about 8 months because of my living situation. I'm falling back on the wagon again, after shaving with the Merkur the other day. My face was so much happier after a two-pass shave than it ever is after a single pass with the current Gilette cartridge razor.

My current setup involves a silvertip brush from Art of Shaving, soaps from Tabac, AoS, and Truefit and Hill, and after shave products from all over. I'm too poor for any acquisition disorders right now, but I know the diseases well.

Yea that's right I'm resurrecting this old boy, mainly because I had a bad ass shave this morning.

Enjoyed a fresh Wilkinson Sword blade on a Gillette Super Adjustable using C.O. Bigelow cream and finished with Lilac Vegetal (that's right, the VEG :love: ). Making for a great spring day so far.

Been using a Slant recently and loving every shave!  Can't top Feathers either.

Great thread, with all this talk I really want to make the jump to safety razors. I don't mind shaving but I hate paying ridiculous amounts of cash for the crappy little refill cartridges.

edit to add:

Trigger pulled! :cool:

I looked into this a week or so ago.  It just seems like a lot to have to do in order to shave.  If I only shaved a few times a week, maybe it would seem more feasible.  But I have to shave daily, and speed takes priority over everything else.

I have been wetshaving since December and I am in love with it.

Way better shaves, no irritation, and saving money - what's better than that?

Not to mention that I find the process a bit enjoyable and relaxing as well.

Brickhouse it doesn't take that much longer. I soak my brush while I'm in the shower and then hop out, whip up my lather and shave.

Ah gee, maybe you could get your sorry ass out of bed 15 min earlier. :rolleyes: :laugh:

Doc

Brickhouse said:
I looked into this a week or so ago.  It just seems like a lot to have to do in order to shave.  If I only shaved a few times a week, maybe it would seem more feasible.  But I have to shave daily, and speed takes priority over everything else.

It will take longer at first, but you can get the time down.  Once you're used to the process and find out what works for you; you can get a shave in 10-15 minutes.

Soak it in Barbacide. You can find it on line or maybe you can con your barber into giving you some.

Doc

Coincidentally, I just ordered a new brush last week.  Ended up grabbing a Simpson Colonel x2L in Best.  Scheduled for delivery tomorrow.  

Also recently picked up some Mikes Natural Soaps.  They seem to be a favorite over on b&B and rightfully so, it is some damn fine lather.  

As for the comments about time.  All good things in life take time.  Might as well relax and enjoy the ride.  

"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't slow down and look around (take the time to enjoy it), you might miss it"

I was shaving with a Gillette fusion pro glide for the longest time. I would use pre shave, shave oil and shave balm. Still I would get irritation.
A buddy of mine told me about safety razors and how smooth and clean they shave. So I researched the the Merkur 34 long handle. I fell in love with it after the first time using it.

I have been using the Art of Shaving products and they have been working well for me. Sandalwood has been my favorite sent to date.

Greggj77 said:

Coincidentally, I just ordered a new brush last week.  Ended up grabbing a Simpson Colonel x2L in Best.  Scheduled for delivery tomorrow.  

Also recently picked up some Mikes Natural Soaps.  They seem to be a favorite over on b&B and rightfully so, it is some damn fine lather.  

As for the comments about time.  All good things in life take time.  Might as well relax and enjoy the ride.  
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't slow down and look around (take the time to enjoy it), you might miss it"

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on the Simpson.  I haven't purchased a Simpson brush since Vulfix purchased the company.  Do you have a pre-Vulfix Simpson for comparison, by chance?

khari said:

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on the Simpson.  I haven't purchased a Simpson brush since Vulfix purchased the company.  Do you have a pre-Vulfix Simpson for comparison, by chance?

Nope unfortunately that was before I started wet shaving.  I bought the Muhle R89 with the RHM stand and their black fiber brush little over  a year ago and have been very happy with them.  Did a fair amount of research before pulling the trigger on the Colonel.  Seems like a very respected all around brush that will handle face and bowl lathering.  I was debating a Savile Row ST or a Kent BK4 but opted for the simpson due to its reported versatility and lover cost ;-)  plenty of time to add to the stable.  

I am heading out of town today for a little vaca, going to Atlantis. :thumbs: I am coming back on Tues.  I will be lathering up this bad boy on Wed and will post my thoughts once I get a couple lathers under my belt. 

I've got me a Savile Row and find it quite nice!  Though, it is about time for a new brush to complement the new Slant.  Maybe even another Slant as well!

Ah man, you guys have got me really wanting to try this, but dang...$50 for a razor!  I remembered my dad always used one of the double edged safety razors, brush, and even had one of those dispensers that heats up the shaving cream.  So I asked him today if he still had it/used it, but unfortunately it all "disappeared" a number of years ago (my son lives with my dad...so we both know where it went).  Definitely going to be on the lookout when I hit yard sales/flea markets now. 

The other option is to check on ebay, Greg.  Some of the best razors out there are the old Gillette Super Speeds from the 40's thru 60's.  They're on Ebay and can be picked up for as little as $15.  Just give it a thorough cleaning/sterilization and you're good to go.