• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The rising cost of utilities & how it effects you

shadowryder1

While I am puffing away on a Fuente I am thinking about a utility bill I got about a month ago. Recently I heard that utilities are to increase by 150% come summertime.Now where I am I don't use an airconditioner but man some places you can't survive without one. I do have an all electric home in the country. I use wood to heat the house. I don't use a huge amount of electricity. Generally for the past 4+ years I run about &#36145-&#36170 every two months in the winter. Mind you that is with using a wood stove to heat. Well last month I got a 2 month bill for winter. It was &#36266 and I didn't do one thing differently than before.I started wondering how it will all pan out. I am in Washington state. Supposedly the "crisis" started in California. I am a native Californian of 40 + years and various friends tell me the "crisis" is not as bad as what I have been seeing. Even in Silicon Valley. Black outs have only been lasting an hour or so a day if that. Now maybe it is maybe it isn't. Let's assume it is. What is going to happen as this crisis has a domino effect? Imagine those of you that live in areas with high humidiy and high temperatures. You already work until about May to pay taxes. How much longer will you work to pay your utility bills? Years ago when I lived in Southern California the "Watts Riots" broke out. You know that was caused in a large part due to excessive heat and explosive tempers. I can't imagine L.A. or New York or other inner cities and how it will be. Imagine those fire trucks not being able to "wet" down the inner city streets to cool pavements off and tempers because there is a water shortage.Perhaps this is a bit extreme but maybe not. Perhaps finally there is one issue where it won't matter what color you are. Won't matter what religion you are. Won't matter what kind of sexual preference you have. The only thing that will matter is that folks are hopping angry and want representation, answers and resolution. Is anyone else thinking along the same track that I am? I am curious and thought this to be an interesting topic while you puff away.Debbie

Hi Deb,I have yet to experience a rolling blackout. I live down in Southern California - Pasadena (near the Santa Anita Race Track). I have not yet had any electrical problems. It all seems to be alot of hype. All I can say is that I live in So. Cal and I'm not affected by it, and I live only 12 miles from Los Angeles.
I thought about making my entire house solar paneled, but the cost of the solar cells and electrical storage units is just way too high.
Anyways, I just wanted to say I think it's alot of hype, especially being that I live in So. Cal and we're not affected by it. It seems like it's mainly No. Cal.
We have to suffer the high cost's because of the poor decisions made by some people...THIS IS JUST MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE AND OPINION.- Rod

I'm here in Middle America and, while we don't have the utility bankruptcies - or the bonuses - that the Left Coasters have had, we've all had increases inour overall energy costs. From electricity to natural gas to gasoline. While a real shortage of fuel my not be imminent, we are using a huge amount of a non-renewable resource and in a percentage much larger than anywhere else in the wolrd. I don't think we learned a thing from the 70's. They're even painting cars that ugly shade of green again. If we don't learn from our past we're doomed to repeat it. With the higher power bills this winter, I was forced to burn my cigars for heat. Now that it is getting warm I'm gonna have to find a new excuse.Mack

That was a good one. I hope you didn't lose to many cigars last winter :)You know we do use more energy by far. I was thinking though. Europe has been paying high prices for gas for years. However, they also have a pretty good rail system and public transportation system. Plus you can go from country to country,not just city to city, without to much traveling. In general we have no public transportation, no decent rail system. Perhaps if given better options we could use far less gas. What do you all think? Deb

Rod you hit it right on the nail, the people in CA now have problems because of the tree hugging segment that say' you can't build that here. The laws are so off the wall that I read even if CA. decided to build a new power plant it would take 6 years to go through all the paperwork and red tape before you even break ground. They don't want power plants in their states, yet the population increases every year. Where did they think the power was going to come from.As far as gas prices go that's another joke. The sad part is there is more than enough oil out there, but no where to refine it. The refineries have been and will be running at full bore for some time. This country has not had a new one built in over 25 years. Yet the demand is going through the roof. People what their gas yet don't what any more refineries. You can't have it both ways folks.

when i lived in N.M. i had a wind generator and a solar water heater my power bill was never more than 15&#36 i miss that thing