• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The way I light my cigar is too "Aggressive"

YellowSmoke

Alright this is weird! but this is what I have noticed.
When I am home and have a LOT of time I will sit and use those long matches to slowly roast and toast the foot of the stick till the heat make the foot catch fire... Does this even make sense? what I mean is that the flame is barely touching the cigar. This process will cost me about 7-10 matches and a LOT of time lol.
but I find out that by doing so the cigar is lit just right not harshness and right off the foot it very very enjoyable.

Method 2, wipe out my Dupont Maxijet and just jam the flame on the foot, it makes the first inch or so of the cigar, not so enjoyable its ok but it is not "optimal" its a little harsher and the cigar needs some time to "rest" before it smokes like if it were lit with matches. And I have tried to just roast and toast with the jet flame but to no avail... =(

The nice part with method 2 is save time! And its kinda wind proof!
what are the recommendation to have a cigar lit like if I used matches but saves me time and been able to perform outdoor?
Any recommended tool or methods?

THANKS, sorry for ignorance =)

I use a soft flame lighter for most of my everyday smokes. . Best of both worlds.
I do honestly think a wooden match or cedar spill (strips of the cedar sheets in cigar boxes) is the best way to light a cigar if you want the best flavor/prevent off flavors.
If I am smoking just about any stick over 4 or 5 bucks, or really any cigar that is sensitive to high heat, the matches come out.

I use a soft flame lighter for most of my everyday smokes. . Best of both worlds.
I do honestly think a wooden match or cedar spill (strips of the cedar sheets in cigar boxes) is the best way to light a cigar if you want the best flavor/prevent off flavors.
If I am smoking just about any stick over 4 or 5 bucks, or really any cigar that is sensitive to high heat, the matches come out.
Yea... either I stock up with matches or I get a new Dupont!
The only problem I got with soft flame is its kind of weak against wind =(

EDIT: Added lighters...
Man they are both pretty "hot" one more excuse to get yelled by the wifey...

http://www.elighters.com/da28852.html
http://www.elighters.com/dh20354.html

I've been wanting to check out Xikar's EX series lighters. Supposed to be a soft flame, yet slightly windproof. I'm sure it's not going to be as windproof as a torch, but perhaps less heat coming off of it.

http://www.xikar.com...ts/lighters/ex/

I had one for 3 days lost it! what a waste of 60 bucks it ok, it is wind PROOF as opposed to resistant it's great but you don't see the flame so for 3 days I always end up burning the wrapper. Plus it is still pretty "agressive" on top of being invisible =(
Lossing it gave me an excuse to buy another one =)

I've been wanting to check out Xikar's EX series lighters. Supposed to be a soft flame, yet slightly windproof. I'm sure it's not going to be as windproof as a torch, but perhaps less heat coming off of it.

http://www.xikar.com...ts/lighters/ex/

I had one for 3 days lost it! what a waste of 60 bucks it ok, it is wind PROOF as opposed to resistant it's great but you don't see the flame so for 3 days I always end up burning the wrapper. Plus it is still pretty "agressive" on top of being invisible =(
Lossing it gave me an excuse to buy another one =)

I have that exact lighter. So far, so good! I mean that in the sense of the thing actually continuing to work for over a few months or fillings. The heating element does work well re-ignighting the gas, and it is the first lighter with the element in which the element did not burn up and disappear! I bought the gunmetal finish, which wears off. I also had a problem with the round inserts that are at the hinges (basically a trim element to fill the holes from the hinge. But overall, I would get another one if I needed to.

I like to lightly toast with a single torch, then light without the flame actually touching the foot . . . I've done the matches and the soft flame lighters and even the cedar strips, and it just seems to me that while the torch is obviously a hotter flame, the others involve holding a fire to the cigar for much, much longer. I can get a cigar lit in about 10-15 seconds or so without the torch flame ever touching the leaf.

~Boar

I use a torch and deal with the off flavor for the first few puffs. You can light a stogie with a torch from damn near a couple of inches. This method seems to have reduce the heat the cigar sees and provides decent results. The people that bury the cigar in the flame like its a cutting torch generally have the issues.

I always get a kick out my friends who use Bics on thier cigarettes and borrow my torch. I always tell them to hold it back and be careful. They never fail to slow roast their eyebrows.

I have a Xikar dual torch, and I really have never had issues due to my lite. I also love to watch my cigarette smoking friends use my torch. It's amazing that even after several appeals to them to be careful, they always toast something.

I like to lightly toast with a single torch, then light without the flame actually touching the foot . . . I've done the matches and the soft flame lighters and even the cedar strips, and it just seems to me that while the torch is obviously a hotter flame, the others involve holding a fire to the cigar for much, much longer. I can get a cigar lit in about 10-15 seconds or so without the torch flame ever touching the leaf.

~Boar

This is what I do also.

I have tried the match thing, but just don't really have that much time to light a cigar.

I use a torch and deal with the off flavor for the first few puffs. You can light a stogie with a torch from damn near a couple of inches. This method seems to have reduce the heat the cigar sees and provides decent results. The people that bury the cigar in the flame like its a cutting torch generally have the issues.

I always get a kick out my friends who use Bics on thier cigarettes and borrow my torch. I always tell them to hold it back and be careful. They never fail to slow roast their eyebrows.

As far as the off flavor goes I find that if after I'm done toasting the foot I blow air back through the cigar it gets rid of most of the off flavor.

~Boar

Boar, thanks for writing my post for me. This is exactly what I do with my Blazer PB-207. Last step in lighting a cigar is to look at the foot to ensure it's lit / burning evenly. That about covers it.

B.B.S.

~Boar

Boar, thanks for writing my post for me. This is exactly what I do with my Blazer PB-207. Last step in lighting a cigar is to look at the foot to ensure it's lit / burning evenly. That about covers it.

B.B.S.

I use the same method, unless I'm lighting a cigar outside in the wind, in which case I go in close and nuke the foot. But in most cases, if I'm smoking out in much wind I'm smoking a cheaper cigar anyway so I don't worry so much about it.