• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Thinking of getting a English Bulldog

Toaster

Puff Puff Pass v2.0 2004
Well I've been considering getting ME a dog.. We've had dogs in the past, none of which were picked by me- either the wife or kids... and like all of you know who have kids, they're always going to take care of the dog- take it for walks, etc... that lasts for about 3 days.

Anyway- I'm a large fellow- and I've been thinking about getting a fat ugly dog that will look like me. Naming him Churchill or something cigar related like that. I'm considering getting an English Bulldog.

Anyone with experience with these particular dogs chime in (oh Triple_D where are you?)

I figure since I'm going to be the one who cleans up after him, walk him, feed him, etc... I should pick him. I want a short fat one. LIKE ME! :thumbs:

Awaiting comments. Oh yeah, and good cigar related doggie names too! SUGGESTIONS!! :thumbs:

English Bulldogs are cool but they have health problems (get ready for the vet bills) and they slobber a lot.

They have a Face that ONLY a mother could love :p

Info

HEY, LOOK, I hit 3000!!! so much for that contest :0 :p

English Bull Dogs make great pets. Triple_D is correct about health problems. They are subject to an early demise due to breathing problems. My sister lost hers to this. If you can find a reputable breeder this can be minimized. Stay away from pet stores and people that breed more than one kind of dog. (puppy mills)

If I were going to get a cigar dog, I'd get a Havanese. My aunt has one, and they are actually interesting little dogs. Great temperment for something it's size, and they are actually hypoallerginic, as to say they have no dander. It's funny to watch them as other dogs don't think it's a dog, and cats think it's one of them. :D

I tried to get her to name the dog Cohiba, but to no avail.

Oh, and the picture on that site sucks, they aren't actually that ugly. Give 'em a trim and they are easily mistaken for Yorkies, and look a lot better IMO in black and tan.

Triple_D said:
English Bulldogs are cool but they have health problems (get ready for the vet bills) and they slobber a lot.
As Triple_D [and others] said, they have health problems, not the least of which are respritory, keep that in mind if you smoke in the house. Otherwise, they are great dogs, lots of personality, and lazy as sh*t! :D

you can always get one of these :)

basset.jpg

Hey Toaster.
Why don't you look into gettin one of Mr. D's pooches.
Pure-bred Pitbulls are great dogs and if you get one from Triple D you know you can't go wrong. :)

I raised and showed bulldogs for 6 years. Wish I could post pics, but I'm a redneck. My wife was a vet tech, 13 years, and got an offer to raise a show dog for a breeder that didn't have enough room for them all. I started with one but got three. Yes they fart, they need only hi-grade dry food to ease this, no people food. Yes they snore alot due to a smushed face and nasal area, ones with a slight nose snore less. Heat was not a problem as they are lazy and will just find a cool spot to lay, ac, basement or fan. The face wrinkles and ears need cleaning by anti-bacterial baby wipes about twice a week, takes 30 seconds and no sores show up. I bathed mine once a month to keep coat and skin healthy. They don't slobber unless they are eating or drinking.
Very tolerant to kids and very protective. My big male slept in my kids room and it was HIS room while the kids were sleeping. Very lovey and need attention.
Look for a big square head as a pup. Feed pups a tiny bit more then recomended until they fill out the belly behind the rib cage and hip. . Stock up on tennis balls and get them to chase and jump for them and you will build great muscle. Teach it to walk on a leash immediately, walk it in night air about 1/2 mile to start then get it to briskly walk and it will develop the broad chest and legs. I wrestled and ruff-housed with mine and always had better built dogs then other bulls.
They are great dogs if you can spend a lil time to nurture them right and keep them healthy.

If ya wanna try to live with one just fill a 5 gallon bucket with sand and lay it around your house always in the walkways for a while so you get use to stepping over it and eat alot of Taco Bell to get the right smell.

Thanks for all the replies so far! :) let me try and answer some of the direct questions...

I can picture you taking Churchill for a stroll as you enjoy a smoke

Yeah, thats kinda the idea! :D My ugly, Him ugly! :) I'd love for him to smoke a cigar too! :0 :thumbs:

They have a Face that ONLY a mother could love

Dude, that hurts man... My mother DOES love me though! ;)

Why don't you look into gettin one of Mr. D's pooches
Are you kidding? My wife doesn't want me to get a ENGLISH bulldog.... Pit bull? I'd have to move out- WITH THE DOG. She's terrified of Pit's, and since we have 3 kids- trust me when I tell you... that aint gonna happen. :( Though I know if I were in the market for Pit, Duane would be the man to do biz'niz with. :thumbs:

If ya wanna try to live with one just fill a 5 gallon bucket with sand and lay it around your house always in the walkways for a while so you get use to stepping over it and eat alot of Taco Bell to get the right smell.

ROFLMAO!

HEY! We need name suggestions too! I saw "COHIBA" thats about it.... lets go- give us some names too :thumbs:

HEY, LOOK, I hit 3000!!! so much for that contest
First off, Congratulations PB on your milestone :thumbs:

LMAO @ Beefcube :D :p

ARGH, they slobber, they bark a lot, they smell, they snort, they fart, they tear apart just about anything they can get their mouth on. They are very friendly and love attention but I can think of hundreds of other breeds I'd get first.

Go with this one!!

Pembroke Welsh Corgi!!!

Now THESE are great dogs ;) :thumbs:

Wildcard said:
If I were going to get a cigar dog, I'd get a Havanese.
Dude, thanks, now I know exactly what kind of dog I want. I want a male and I am gonna name him "Fidel"

Toaster> Cohiba is good, or Castro or maybe even Trinidad

How about Bolivar

Dude, thanks, now I know exactly what kind of dog I want. I want a male and I am gonna name him "Fidel"

:D They are great dogs, used to be associated as the lapdogs Cuban aristocrats. The only draw back is that as they came very close to extinction, they are still somewhat rare. And therefore, expensive. ???

Toaster said:
Why don't you look into gettin one of Mr. D's pooches
Are you kidding? My wife doesn't want me to get a ENGLISH bulldog.... Pit bull? I'd have to move out- WITH THE DOG. She's terrified of Pit's, and since we have 3 kids- trust me when I tell you... that aint gonna happen. :( Though I know if I were in the market for Pit, Duane would be the man to do biz'niz with. :thumbs:
LMAO TFF!!!!!!

How about naming the dog Opus.

"Come here Opus......come on......good boy" :) !!!!

Expensive isn't the word.... In the paper these dogs go for anywhere from $800 - $2000 locally! :0

My wife has a friend who is know's alot of breeders, and supposedly can get us one for around $200 to $400.... After the video Tony showed me- I WANT THIS DOG!

I like the names guys... tff.

If you (or anyone else on CP) decides to buy a pit I'll give a $200 discount on my web prices to all CP and CW members.

TYK5.jpg