• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

This guy is my hero.

As I posted earlier, my fiancée is following this story. She just told me that a network (CBS I think) approached this guy about a show.

Re: technology vs. a boot in the ass... Unfortunately, with today's kids, losing their computers and iPods/iPhones/devices hurts them a lot more than a quick ass-whoopin'. That being said, with how integral word processors and the internet are with school assignments in this time (and it's not going to change), he's going to end up buying another computer. But, if he's an IT guy, like he said, then he should know how to restrict her internet usage for official stuff only.

Re: technology vs. a boot in the ass... Unfortunately, with today's kids, losing their computers and iPods/iPhones/devices hurts them a lot more than a quick ass-whoopin'. That being said, with how integral word processors and the internet are with school assignments in this time (and it's not going to change), he's going to end up buying another computer. But, if he's an IT guy, like he said, then he should know how to restrict her internet usage for official stuff only.

I'm not so sure about that, most school and public libraries have internet access and computers available. She could work it out

Otherwise, I applaud his actions. He did things the old fashion way, and the right way in my mind. As far as the laptop goes, he bought it. I think he's more than welcome to put a few holes in it if he wants to. People destroy stuff every day, just maybe not so publicly.

Agree that this was tough justice. My time & money are worth a lot and I would have sold the thing or put it in a safety deposit box or something. I think it is over the top and along the lines of our Joe the Plumber. Can't wait to see how this develops. He asked for the attention and now he has it.

I am sure his daughter did learn something, but only time will tell.

Because parenting through fear and intimidation is clearly the answer. The guy took a gun and shot his daughter's laptop. He went out there looking for affirmation from the "hurrah, you're a good parent!" crowd just as much as his daughter went out there looking for affirmation from the"oh, my parents suck, too!" contingent.

- Mark

Teen angst. Life is hard, your kids are your product. They react how they learn. Sounds like there might be more to the story.

I'm hardly a staunch law-and-order cowboy type, but it is refreshing to see a parent take a stand against the entitled youth.

But, I really have to wonder what led up to the sort of behaviour she displayed? How the hell does it get that bad between a parent and their child?
My question, too. But being a triple teenager survivor, I know some of the story. The tough part for parents these days is competing with media/consumer indoctrination. It's more pervasive than when I was a teen(early 70's). Even so, I was still conditioned to want what my peers and I were told to want.

Now, with both parents working in most cases, the deck is even more stacked against parents. Still, I fought the good fight as a parent and, with lots of help, they turned out OK. The theory is that once they reach the age of reason parents SHOULD be able to talk to them. But we all know about theories. :p

But, I really have to wonder what led up to the sort of behaviour she displayed? How the hell does it get that bad between a parent and their child?
My question, too. But being a triple teenager survivor, I know some of the story. The tough part for parents these days is competing with media/consumer indoctrination. It's more pervasive than when I was a teen(early 70's). Even so, I was still conditioned to want what my peers and I were told to want.

Now, with both parents working in most cases, the deck is even more stacked against parents. Still, I fought the good fight as a parent and, with lots of help, they turned out OK. The theory is that once they reach the age of reason parents SHOULD be able to talk to them. But we all know about theories. :p

Exactly! I'm not a parent yet myself so I can't quite comment on that aspect, but I feel I was raised well and I still chose to do some stupid crap in my life regardless of how wrong I knew it was. We can't rule out the fact that her parents may do everything (or almost everything) they can to keep her on the right path and be appreciative but depending on her personality she will still be influenced by how other peers around her act. Younger teens are HIGHLY influenced by their friends, it is just the way it goes. Sometimes parents can only do so much and for all we know her dad had tried everything up to this point and felt the need to act drastically. It is easy for us to pass judgement without knowing the full story.

Was watching the Today show this morning, and they are talking about this guy. They are doing on on-line poll to see what people think of his actions...