• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

this may be heresy

hornetguy

Well, I finally gave in to temptation. I had a Padron 64 Imperial natural (that's a PAN, right?) sitting in the humidor for the last 2 or 3 months. Every time I'd open the lid it was sitting there, taunting me. This weekend, the patience ran out.
At first light, I was struck by just how spicy it was.. almost too spicy. After the first 3/8 inch, it mellowed out and sorta stabilized at a moderately spicy, charred wood kind of taste. Nice, but not great. Just about half way through, the burn went uneven on me. I touched it up, and was ok until about 3/4 through, where it went uneven again. I managed to smoke it down to almost "nub" status.
Here's the heresy part. I'm not really convinced that this was a 10 dollar quality smoke. :0 It was a really GOOD cigar.. flavor-wise, but not a GREAT cigar, which is what I sort of expect if I pay 10 bucks for one.
I know that everyone has different tastes... that's a given. I was just really anticipating a GREAT smoke. Maybe my expectations were just a little too high. And.. this WAS my first one, and I try not to applaud or condemn a smoke based on one, or even two samples. (three bad ones, and it's history, though) I guess the jury is still out on these. Maybe a maduro would have been a better choice. (had it been available :whistling: )

Padrons can be strong. I recommend smoking a couple more. my first one killed me.

edit: Maduro is not NEARLY as strong as natural, IMHO.

True. THough the way I think about it, is that the maduro is just as strong, just does it in a moother fashion, enabling one to enjoy the strength more easily.

Absolutely try more. But if it were me, I would stick to the maduro.

There's a guy who'd come in the Tinderbox and buy a box of 64 natties whenever we'd get them, and I asked him why not maduro, he replied "too strong". I've always wondered if he never tried the maduro or if he'd just gotten a maduro that was maybe a little stronger. trying both is ALWAYS the best move on any cigar. :thumbs:

I was leery of the maduros when I first started smoking. I think there's an old wive's tale floating around that says that the darker a cigar is, the stronger it is.
I've found that, GENERALLY speaking, the maduros are a sweeter, smoother smoke. Not necessarily milder, just smoother.
I plan to try more of the 64's as money and availability warrant. I REALLY like the "regular" Padrons. I don't think I've ever had even a mediocre one, much less a bad one.
The 26's are just scary priced, though. I'll get one pretty soon, just to save for a special occasion.

There's no such thing as heresy when it comes to the individual experience of perceptions. :) Though, I'm thinking you might have gotten a different impression if you had started out with the Monarca or Diplomatico Maduro. The PAN64 Imperial is a tough one to have as your first.

Also, while not proper for "tasting" a cigar, make sure you have a good drink whether it be coffee, straight water, port, Dr. Pepper or something else you like. "Enjoying" a cigar is often done in tandem with food or drink and I find that it is in this context that cigars reveal their true attraction to me.

Wilkey

hornetguy said:
Well, I finally gave in to temptation. I had a Padron 64 Imperial natural (that's a PAN, right?) sitting in the humidor for the last 2 or 3 months. Every time I'd open the lid it was sitting there, taunting me. This weekend, the patience ran out.
At first light, I was struck by just how spicy it was.. almost too spicy. After the first 3/8 inch, it mellowed out and sorta stabilized at a moderately spicy, charred wood kind of taste. Nice, but not great. Just about half way through, the burn went uneven on me. I touched it up, and was ok until about 3/4 through, where it went uneven again. I managed to smoke it down to almost "nub" status.
Here's the heresy part. I'm not really convinced that this was a 10 dollar quality smoke. :0 It was a really GOOD cigar.. flavor-wise, but not a GREAT cigar, which is what I sort of expect if I pay 10 bucks for one.
I know that everyone has different tastes... that's a given. I was just really anticipating a GREAT smoke. Maybe my expectations were just a little too high. And.. this WAS my first one, and I try not to applaud or condemn a smoke based on one, or even two samples. (three bad ones, and it's history, though) I guess the jury is still out on these. Maybe a maduro would have been a better choice. (had it been available :whistling: )
[snapback]249562[/snapback]​

i'm not a fan of the 64 or the 26 naturals. i had my third 64 natural this weekend and confirmed this to myself. i love the maduros, though.

ill kind of echo everyone else's sentiments here. try the maduro. i had a pan when i first started out and didnt really care for it. i then had about 20 or 25 pams, then went back to the pan and really liked it alot.

Drake said:
i'm not a fan of the 64 or the 26 naturals. i had my third 64 natural this weekend and confirmed this to myself. i love the maduros, though.
[snapback]249583[/snapback]​

Have I mentioned how much I enjoy 64 and 26 naturals :cool:

In my opinion the naturals are a little less pleasant than the PAMs right out of the box but with almost a year of age on them they round out very very nicely. So as much as I would like to tell everyone unhappy with PANs to send them this way (addy in profile) my advice is to let them rest awhile and give it another try later.

CYG

All I can say is I wish I didn't like these things so much! To each his own. I love the entire anniversary line but don't smoke 'em that often. When I do they're usually pretty fresh cause I don't have the patience to wait but many say to give them some extensive down time. I'd give a few more vitolas a try. You may have just come across a rare miss from Padron.
Or just leave it where it's at and be glad you don't like such an expensive smoke! Yeah do that. That leaves more for the rest of us! :) :p

PAM '64 Torpedo's, great cigar, great brand. padron has to be one of the most consistant smokes i have had, from the thousand line to the anni's, damm good smokes.