• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

This may be weird. I'm having a tough time drawing from RP 60 ring

TonK

This might sound weird, but I cannot get RP Sun Grown or Vintage 1990's to draw.

They are in perfect condition, cello on, great construction.

I spent a small chunk to acquire these for an after work long smoke.

So I tried a Sun Grown about a week ago.. It lights normally, but when I draw, it's mostly air... Almost seems it won't take off.

I tossed it out...

FF to tonight.

Brought out a Vintage, clipped and lit...

Same deal.

Terrible draw.

If I would take 3 or 4 puffs, it would produce some decent smoke, but chill right after. Then the taste became too tarry,

Anyone else have a problem with burn on these?

Next time try it without the cello on.

:thumbs:

They sound dried out. Do they crackle when rolled in the fingers?

TonK, what do you store your cigars in? Also, what is the humidity percentage at? How long ago did you get these from your B&M (cigar shop)?

From first glance, it sounds like an over-humidification issue, and that can be solved by dry-boxing for a day before you light one up. The reason I think this is because the tobacco is too wet to stay lit, and the moisture in the leaf causes the draw to tighten due to swelling. Once we answer these questions, we can start pinpointing the issue.

Next time try it without the cello on.

:thumbs:

I'd say cello too. BUT, at least you can walk in the rain with it. :)

Also, was the draw very tight, or firm? A big ring gaue like 60 needs a lot of free flowing air to get it really going good to be smokeable.

The draw isn't really too firm.

I keep my cigars at 65% RH in a well seasoned humidor.

I'm sure you know, but I keep the cello on all of my smokes. (and take it off prior to lighting, lol)

They didn't crackle, pop or anything... Bought them a week prior from my B&M.

I'd get a bunch of air, and a nice flavor, but barely any smoke.

Is that how 60's are supposed to burn?

Any chance they are over humidified? Spongy, squishy that sort of thing?

Sounds to me like a bad roll. I'd take them back to the source and ask for an exchange...or credit. There really is no excuse for a honking 60rg cigar to have a bad draw, unless it was not rolled or cared for properly.

Is it possible there is a pinhole in the wrapper / binder? Sometimes when you draw on them with the pinhole, you get an easy draw, but not any smoke 'cause the pinhole is letting in air instead of pulling from the lit end.

But if it is a bad roll then he shouldn't have the initial mostly air draw. If it is a tight roll, then I would think the initial draw would be difficult as well. Maybe it is just a lemon.

I hardly see RP's stuff going into the 60rg range. Maybe you should just stick to the normal sized ring gauge blends, I'm sure there are close to 100 releases with his name on them. :laugh:

Seriously. :0

I hardly see RP's stuff going into the 60rg range. Maybe you should just stick to the normal sized ring gauge blends, I'm sure there are close to 100 releases with his name on them. :laugh:

Seriously. :0

The only smoke he makes that I enjoy is the Edge.

The 60 rings went back.