• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Thoughts on Apple laptops?

They just released AutoCAD for Apple just this month. Windows apps run fine under OS X, plus you can dual boot. I much prefer working on Windows 7 from my mac, as I have the ability to use the trackpad, which has some very useful gestures, making navigating a breeze. Not to mention, Win7 looks very nice on a mac, maybe because of the LED display. ;) Both platforms are good, just depends what you want it to do. The biggest advantage to Mac over Win is iLife, which allows you to do a lot of really cool multimedia type stuff easily.

Hey, Rod. Did you already purchase the iLife '11 suite? Are the upgrades really all that and a soda pop?

-Mark

Well,

I've had my XPS back for a while and Windows 7 is a huge leap from Vista. Unfortunately, the new OS and hard drive did nothing to solve my problem. I am still getting random blue screens, which is rather frustrating. I've backed up all my important files etc, unfortunately, I lost years of e-mails I planned to keep when this laptop originally crapped out. I just hope this computer holds out long enough for me to make a decision on what to buy next. Certainly won't be a Dell.

Bro, I'm sorry your Dell dumped your mail, etc. but the truth is, if it's a Dell or an HP or a Lenovo or an Apple or whatever, backing up your important data is a fact of life. My #1 system has two hard drives and I run fully redundant backups, but I also have an external USB hard drive array that has all my "misson critical" stuff on it. An external enclosure with a couple of 320 Gb hard drives in it was well under a hundred bucks. I run that about once a month.

Not to rub salt into the wound, but "get over it" comes to mind. If your data is important, for the love of all things, back it up. Hard drives will fail, OS's will do funny things, viruses will hit no matter what the badge or OS is....welcome to modern computing.

My $00.02....B.B.S.

Bro, I'm sorry your Dell dumped your mail, etc. but the truth is, if it's a Dell or an HP or a Lenovo or an Apple or whatever, backing up your important data is a fact of life. My #1 system has two hard drives and I run fully redundant backups, but I also have an external USB hard drive array that has all my "misson critical" stuff on it. An external enclosure with a couple of 320 Gb hard drives in it was well under a hundred bucks. I run that about once a month.

Not to rub salt into the wound, but "get over it" comes to mind. If your data is important, for the love of all things, back it up. Hard drives will fail, OS's will do funny things, viruses will hit no matter what the badge or OS is....welcome to modern computing.

My $00.02....B.B.S.

Perhaps my last post wasn't clear. I did back up my "important files." As far as the e-mails. They were saved on the server. When I attempted to re-load them on my computer, they did not come through. When I went to the server site, they were gone.

I also have been a Mac person since the beginning in 1982 with the Lisa. Have had almost every line since. Still own the Plus and use it :-D

As an owner of a 4 year old 17" Macbook Pro, my opinion is, they have the same problems as any other computer.

Macbooks are made by Asus. Not Apple. Get the same quality and specs by buying an actual Asus laptop for 1/4 the price. Just my $0.02

You don't seriously believe Macs are made by Asus do you? That's not even close to true.

To the OP like many have said before me a lot of this is personal preference. I prefer the build quality and ease of use that apple provides. Some may find PCs easier to use but I don't. I switched over 4 years ago and just bought my second macbook pro. I use PCs at work every day and it frustrates me. My brother highly recommends Lenovo like a previous poster. Either way good luck.

One item we found with Apple was the video running in whatever Windows mode they have. It may be better now, but you couldn't get certain restolutions due to the face you are basically running a VM.

If you are running connecting to an older 'Exchange' server...check that the Exchange client(Apple) for Mac is compatible. We had an issue with that recently...so check all your apps.

As for the HD...I've seen them go...right out of the box.

I don't believe iLife '11 is available yet - comes out in Jan I think. I saw the demo of it, and it does look really cool. Some really neat new features.

I backup locally as well as to the cloud.

Jamie - You didn't happen to have your email setup as POP3, did you? If so, it's possible it deleted from the server upon downloading into your mail client. IMAP is a great way to manage email.

I also have been a Mac person since the beginning in 1982 with the Lisa. Have had almost every line since. Still own the Plus and use it :-D

As an owner of a 4 year old 17" Macbook Pro, my opinion is, they have the same problems as any other computer.

Macbooks are made by Asus. Not Apple. Get the same quality and specs by buying an actual Asus laptop for 1/4 the price. Just my $0.02

You don't seriously believe Macs are made by Asus do you? That's not even close to true.

To the OP like many have said before me a lot of this is personal preference. I prefer the build quality and ease of use that apple provides. Some may find PCs easier to use but I don't. I switched over 4 years ago and just bought my second macbook pro. I use PCs at work every day and it frustrates me. My brother highly recommends Lenovo like a previous poster. Either way good luck.

uhh actually he is correct. Asus was contracted to produce part of the Mac line. At least that was the case a few years back. I don't recall which exact model but I do know it to be true that Asus was building a particular model for Apple. Nothing wrong with that. Asus was manufacturing a lot of stuff for others as an OEM.

I used to have a server setup at home back in high school. All my friends would backup their stuff to my house so that we could share music and homework. Now I just have my laptop, so I stick to two separate externals.

I don't believe iLife '11 is available yet - comes out in Jan I think. I saw the demo of it, and it does look really cool. Some really neat new features.

I backup locally as well as to the cloud.

Jamie - You didn't happen to have your email setup as POP3, did you? If so, it's possible it deleted from the server upon downloading into your mail client. IMAP is a great way to manage email.

Yes, it was set up as a POP3. Can hotmail be set up as IMAP? Only reason I'm using "hotmail" is because Qwest set me up with it when I moved here. However, I'm looking to switch providers in the near future given Qwest only offers 1.5mbps in my area.