• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Thoughts on the Monday Night Football incident

AVB said:
Naked people shouldn't be seen by anyone until the age of 21. They need to surgically sew blinders on everyone.

What do these wackos do when they go to Europe where people aren't born with a pole up their A$$.
Wow, we can totally agree on something here AVB!!! I am much more liberal socially I suppose though.

I think our country as a collective whole needs to get over the stigma of nudity. If nothing else it will let us see a lot more boobies without having to drive to the neighborhood strip joint!

What goes hand and hand (or T&A I suppose) with Monday's "incident" was the WOIO & Sharon Reed Spencer Tunick piece in Cleveland this week. An 11:00 newscast got a 17.1 share because of this story. (for comparison the Super Bowl got a 13.6 share this year).

Its Obvious people want to see boobies. Our kids receive far more sexually suggestive subject matter on "safe" Disney channel programming, and prime time sitcoms.

-Matt-

other1 said:
I don't understand. It would have been less of an issue if she had jumped into the arms of a white man? Should the black and white players have seperate locker rooms too? How can Dungy make a racial issue out of this?

Here's my opinion on the whole incident. The whole country needs to chill the F* out. What's the big deal?
I'm sure many wish it was that simple. But, simply telling people to chill out, gives the impression that the issue is not important. And to some, racial issues are very important.

And no, there should not be seperate lockerrooms. And yes. It would have been less of an issue if they were both of the same race. Think about the actual issues and the underlying reason(s) why one might express their opinions a certain way. Trying to lesson the importance of an issue or trying to sum it up in a one sentence solution does not show one's intelligence. It only exposes their ignorance. Issues related to race are not easily resolved. Nor are they going to be solved by simple, glib cliche's.

Other1, I've read your posts on other issues and have found you to be much more intelligent, informed, and articulate than "....The whole country needs to chill the F* out." I personally would find it very difficult to chill out on an issue that dates back 100s of years.

M. Gipson

Racial issues are important but this isn't a racial issue and this "incident" really isn't that important at all.

AVB said:
Naked people shouldn't be seen by anyone until the age of 21. They need to surgically sew blinders on everyone.

What do these wackos do when they go to Europe where people aren't born with a pole up their A$$.
Actually, Europe is in the tiniest of minorities in the world, in terms of their permissiveness of nudity on TV. You will not find this in China, SE Asia, India, Russia, the Middle East, South America... the majority of the world has TV standards as stringent or more stringent than we have in the USA.

I don't know when you were in Russia last but they have nudity on TV as of last year. Japan had it in the 70's when I was there. I'm pretty sure Brazil does too but I was trashed when I watched TV there so maybe not. ???

But yes, China and India don't that I know of and that's a third of the population almost.

Maybe the fact that a black man and a white woman were portrayed in a scene like this just goes to show that race is not important in this matter. Years ago they would have NEVER placed a black man and a white woman in an ad like that.

So in a way, this is progress.

ricmac25 said:
Maybe the fact that a black man and a white woman were portrayed in a scene like this just goes to show that race is not important in this matter. Years ago they would have NEVER placed a black man and a white woman in an ad like that.

So in a way, this is progress.
Good point. Although uncomfortable for many, but progress must be made.

M. Gipson

I think that the NFL may have just been looking for some publicity here. They have to know that following the Janet Jackson half time show at the Superbowl that they're under a tremendous amount of scrutiny. So, it seems that even if the content wasn't overtly explicit, they should have know better.

This is really an issue of expectations. I understand that Europe may be more relaxed about nudity, and yes, it is a violent game that people are tuning in to watch. Perhaps we Americans should lighten up about nudity and maybe it is ironic that we'll take our kids to see Terminator 3, but movie with love making is off limits -- nonetheless, these are the current standards that exist in the country. People may tune into Housewives with an expectation that the content will be of a sexual nature, and they'll tune into MNF knowing that they'll get violence. Its when expectations are set and the audience gets something completely different that issues arise. I think MNF should have know better given these standards and their past incident.

Mojo

AVB said:
I don't know when you were in Russia last but they have nudity on TV as of last year. Japan had it in the 70's when I was there. I'm pretty sure Brazil does too but I was trashed when I watched TV there so maybe not. ???

But yes, China and India don't that I know of and that's a third of the population almost.
I was last in Russia a few years ago; perhaps it has changed, or perhaps what you were watching was regional or cable TV? (We have titties on cable TV too, ya know ;) )

As for Japan, yes, I excluded them specifically -- though they have their own oddities as well, such as pixelated pubic hair.

The point simply was that Europe is the exception in the world, not the rule... for what it's worth. I'm all for titties myself.

moki said:
AVB said:

I was last in Russia a few years ago; perhaps it has changed, or perhaps what you were watching was regional or cable TV? (We have titties on cable TV too, ya know ;) )

As for Japan, yes, I excluded them specifically -- though they have their own oddities as well, such as pixelated pubic hair.

The point simply was that Europe is the exception in the world, not the rule... for what it's worth. I'm all for titties myself.
I was in Russia the first time in 2000 and they had it then too. Believe me it wasn't cable because I was moving the rabbit ears around trying to get a decent picture. :D

As usual I'm sorry I entered the conversation. Funny how people take too seriously my comment about people taking things too seriously. :lookup:

Anyone have a link to a clip of what happend for those of us who got home LATE and didn't see the beginning of the game?

All I have to say is I agree with Moki
I'm all for titties :D

Bill

gawntrail said:
And I've never had to walk in a black man's shoes. I don't know what it is like to be a black man in today's society, let alone an NFL Head Coach that happens to be black.
I agree. I won't make up my mind until I can see things from where TO was standing. That's what I need to see to really be informed. I need to see this from his perspective.

Anyone know if there was a cameral on his side of the room? :D

wam79 said:
All I have to say is I agree with Moki
I'm all for titties :D

Bill
TO was in the promo? ;)

She was the only reason I admit to watching Knot's Landing!

Fast4Dr said:
The problem is that it was 6pm on the west coast ???
Yeah, I guess you do have a point there. Forgot that I am in this screwed up time zone.

ALostTexan