• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Three Kings going undefeated?

fca_blake70

With CB and James moving to Miami, the formation of the Three Kings seems promising. Many Heat fans are hoping for a great season and daresay, a Championship. Yesterday Dwyane Wade was interviewed in front of his locker and made a comment that has sparked a bit of a media frenzy. When referring to the ability of the Three Kings to go undefeated Wade responded:

"We enjoy the bulls-eye. Of course, there's going to be times when we might lose one or two games in a row, maybe two games, three games in a row, you never know. It's going to seem like the world is crashed down."

He then turned to the small group of media in front of his locker.

"You all are going to make it seem like the World Trade has just went down again. But it's not going to be nothing but a couple basketball games lost and we'll have to get back on track. So we're going to have fun with this season. We understand this dynamic doesn't come around too often and we're a lucky team right now."

As always, someone read way too far into this comment and now Wade has issued an apology. I was just hoping someone could fill me in on the memo I apparently missed that dictates we are no longer allowed to reference the Twin Towers. Are we really so self-righteous and absorbed in our own cynicism that we can't even let a basketball player make an analogy without turning it around on him? IMO this whole thing is a great example of how ridiculous the media and its adjacent critics have become. Maybe its just me being too insensitive to an important issue but i think its a load.

Or maybe it's an example of how ridiculous the players have become!

Well, it's a pretty ridiculous analogy. No sports accomplishment or lack thereof would ever compare to that act of cowardice and the reaction to it.

they should lose every game for that comment :angry:

He should also apologize to Marquette University for embarassing them with his pathetic use of our language.

In my mind it was just an analogy to put a perspective on how the media would react to a loss. Yes, the Heat are stacked now but Wade was just foreseeing the inevitable fiasco that will ensue as soon as one loss occurs. In no way was he belittling the tragedy of 9/11, rather simply using it as a benchmark to show how out of proportion the media would illustrate a single game's defeat (compared to a true tragedy like 9/11).

In my mind it was just an analogy to put a perspective on how the media would react to a loss. Yes, the Heat are stacked now but Wade was just foreseeing the inevitable fiasco that will ensue as soon as one loss occurs. In no way was he belittling the tragedy of 9/11, rather simply using it as a benchmark to show how out of proportion the media would illustrate a single game's defeat (compared to a true tragedy like 9/11).

Or him overestimating his importance to the world..

Or him overestimating his importance to the world..

I don't think it says anything at all about his arrogance or egocentric behavior. I'm not necessarily the biggest fan of Wade's but in this instance I think he was more team-oriented than anything. If the Heat (collectively) lose a game then it's unquestionable how the news will spin it. I think he was preempting the attack and acknowledging the team's imperfection as a cohesive group, regardless of the talents of 3 all-star players.

FFS, they're called the "Three Kings" now?!?! Gimme a break. Basketball, football, and a number of other sports have gone so far off the deep end glorifying particular players that I can't even stomach to watch them anymore.

And Blake, sorry to disagree with you buddy, but Wade's comment was pretty harsh in that his analogy was explaining some cheesy basketball team losing a game is nigh comparable to a the tragedy of the Twin Towers and all the lives that were lost. Wade may not be specifically overestimating his importance to the world (I personally think he is), but even using the "team-oriented" argument, still, some Miami team losing a game or three does not compare to the WTC incident. The guy is right to issue an apology and should choose his words better next time.

Imagine if he said, "If we lose a game or three, you guys are gonna spin it like it's the Holocaust all over again. You journalists and your news-making headlines... LOL." People. Would. FLIP! He needs to be slapped with a fish upside his puffed up dome.

FFS, they're called the "Three Kings" now?!?! Gimme a break. Basketball, football, and a number of other sports have gone so far off the deep end glorifying particular players that I can't even stomach to watch them anymore.

And Blake, sorry to disagree with you buddy, but Wade's comment was pretty harsh in that his analogy was explaining some cheesy basketball team losing a game is nigh comparable to a the tragedy of the Twin Towers and all the lives that were lost. Wade may not be specifically overestimating his importance to the world (I personally think he is), but even using the "team-oriented" argument, still, some Miami team losing a game or three does not compare to the WTC incident. The guy is right to issue an apology and should choose his words better next time.

Imagine if he said, "If we lose a game or three, you guys are gonna spin it like it's the Holocaust all over again. You journalists and your news-making headlines... LOL." People. Would. FLIP! He needs to be slapped with a fish upside his puffed up dome.

Thanks Jon for basically posting what I was too lazy to.

Point taken and I agree. Making a comparison like that would indeed make people flip out. That also, is not to discount the WTC tragedy as "less horrific," if you will. Both are extreme cases of evil in our world's history and both should be treated with respect. However, his follow-up clearly states "But it's not going to be nothing but a couple basketball games lost and we'll have to get back on track."

With that as context, his simile (IMO) reinstates the idea that " losing a game is nigh comparable to a the tragedy of the Twin Towers." Instead of saying that a loss would be of equal magnitude, he is saying it is just a few losses so (media) don't make it out to be.