• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Time for Mel's annual visit (or, "Are You Ready For Some NCAA

AP is too biased by pre-season rankings, imo. I like the committee idea, but it won't be perfect. From what I've seen, they're taking this seriously and watching a lot of the games in order to make an informed decision.

One thing I DID like about the BCS is that their rankings didn't begin until midway through the season when the AP preseason pretenders were sent packing and the "that's why they play the game" teams showed that they might be for real.  I'll agree on the AP preseason bias.  I'm really surprised that MU was able to overtake FSU this early in the season, especially coming from being unranked.  Can't say I don't agree with it, but it's still surprising to see a #1 get displaced when they haven't been beaten.  Thanks, Jameis Winston.  I'm not wholly stuck on the AP poll, but I'm adamantly against the coaches' poll having a say in anything.  Way too biased.  

I'm very interested to see how the playoff selection works itself out.  My problem with it, aside from only four teams being eligible, is that there are active school and conference representatives on the panel.  What if USC was actually any good this season?  Their AD is on the panel.  Where is that vote going?  Archie Manning recently removed himself from the board, but with Ole Miss doing so well this season, where would his vote have gone?  Would it be unbiased?   I don't have the answer for who should be on the selection board, and I know it would be difficult to find a legitimate panel that doesn't have any active school ties.  I think more teams eligible (6, at minimum -- 8, optimally) would be a partial solution to that.  It just seems that right now the polls and rankings are simply "suggestions" for the board when they meet for selection.  I'll see how it plays out before I complain too loud.  I just hate how conference/school/sponsorship money still has such a large influence on amateur football.  But, that's an argument for some other time.

I don't think there will be any bias. These are smart people, and there are what, 12 or 13 of them? If you get all "unbiased" people (as if they exist) then what kind of expert decision can they make? 

Exactly what I was saying by not having an answer.  Who would be qualified that is not actively affiliated with a school or conference?  I don't know.  In any case, I'm eagerly anticipating this playoff selection to see how it goes and whose feelings get hurt because they were left out.  

"Good ole Rocky Top" goes down tonight! And though it makes me want to vomit to even think it I hope LSWho beats Ole Miss by one stupid point. I already have my Bama gear on and the face tats go on later today! I LOVE this particular Saturday in October!!

ROLL TIDE BABY!!!

Melly

SweetMelissa said:
"Good ole Rocky Top" goes down tonight! And though it makes me want to vomit to even think it I hope LSWho beats Ole Miss by one stupid point. I already have my Bama gear on and the face tats go on later today! I LOVE this particular Saturday in October!!

ROLL TIDE BABY!!!

Melly

Close!  

In unrelated news, any day USC loses is a good day...   ;)

Can't wait for this Saturday! My brother and I will be on opposite sides of the coin toss but ROLL TIDE BABY! By the way...I hope you are well Mr. HOLMES ;))

melly

JHolmes763 said:
All good here. :) Could be better, of course, but oh well.
I actually hope you had a great Veteran's Day :)  But that game down on the Plains didn't help much.  You will always have T-Town coming up ;-)  hehe  And no I don't take that game lightly you know that.  Maybe my dad can have a conversation with the Bear..

SweetMelissa said:

All good here. :) Could be better, of course, but oh well.
I actually hope you had a great Veteran's Day :)  But that game down on the Plains didn't help much.  You will always have T-Town coming up ;-)  hehe  And no I don't take that game lightly you know that.  Maybe my dad can have a conversation with the Bear..

I'll ask my dad to come along and provide some counterpoints. :) 

Bama game is going to be interesting. No idea how it'll go, honestly.

I give up.  Honestly.  Even if ND beats Northwestern, I hope they drop in the rankings.  Absofuckinglutely ridiculous.  How do you routinely put 35-40 points on the board every week and still come down to the last play each game?  Golson has 19 turnovers and counting on the season, just himself.  I love my Irish, but a spade is a spade.  Sonofabieber...

BAMA!  I was happy to see this, since someone I really don't like is a MSU fan.  Now, SEC just has to find a way to get seeded in opposite brackets so there can be an all-SEC championship game.  Let the "SEC bias!" bitches complain THEN!

Well I really enjoyed the game this past weekend!! I am sure my brother didn't love it too much but he took it in stride.  Now to see what the "selection committee" does tomorrow evening.  Somehow I feel like Bama could get the shaft anyway.  But we shall see!  Roll Tide everyone!! 

melly

Alabama should be #2.  It wouldn't surprise me to see them jump FSU, but like them or not... pretty or not... being undefeated in NCAA football is worth something.  That's hard to do, even with a cupcake schedule.  I won't complain either way.  Needed Auburn to win, though, dammit!  Still a few weeks left, however.  I'm not putting it past Oregon to lose, and FSU might surprise us all and drop a game (would it really be a surprise with how close a lot of their games are against unranked teams?).  It's Ohio State that is on my radar, unfortunately.  There's a team I DESPISE...

I DON'T LIKE ANYONE NOW!!  :angry:  :angry:

We're still on, though, Melly. :)

-John

YES baby...as usual.  Though please send a list of what you MIGHT win and want? I haven't been smoking that much and I would hate to send you rolls of shyte. :)  I mean the Auburn Tigers are playing enough like that as it is :) LOVE YOU!

Are you tryin to confuse me? ;-) Usually the losing team pays right? Yeah that's it ;-)

I'm trying. :)

No, but I had mentioned last year that we should make it winner pays. Losing a game like this and then having to send smokes is just a kick in the nuts. But that's how bets go, right? My thought was to make it more of a consolation prize. :) Cause if you win... Pfft... Who cares what you have to send out.

We'll keep it standard loser pays for now, though. I'll enjoy smoking what you send.