• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Time to retool CigarPass

Rod

Administrator
Staff member
Over the past several months I've concluded that it's time to retool CP. We need to go from a static "site" to something more dynamic, providing more cigar related information on our homepage. My thought is that we begin asking the community to write/submit articles on anything cigar related. Your name (if you choose) will be associated with the article (ie: Written by ...).

In order to effectively setup a more dynamic community, I need to change the software platform CP sits on. I won't go into the technical details, however will say that the new CMS (content management system) will allow for easier article submissions and overall management of the CP front-end.

My plan is to create more community-written content, to include subjects such as:
  • Cigar Accessory Reviews
  • Opinion's (your favorite cigars, places to smoke, why you like cigars, etc)
  • Article on what to expect at a herf
  • Choosing a cigar
  • etc...
The article topics are endless. In order to facilitate new content which is updated on a regular basis, I will setup a new forum category where members can volunteer to write articles. Be creative and incorporate video's and pictures into your articles! I think this will be fun, and also a way where we can all share our common interest of cigars.

Following is a link to the new CMS. Please note, I am not finished with the new skin, this is in Alpha phase right now. The general layout is pretty much set, however the colors, graphics, etc are still being worked on.
http://www.cigarpass.com/wp

Let me know if you experience any issues with the alpha site. Not much there, however my only concern is that it displays correctly on your device.

I look forward to hearing your feedback, and also moving forward to creating an even more dynamic and interactive cigar community!

Best,
Rod

I like it Rod. Way to think progressively!

I've started poking around, and like what I see. No problems thus far.

No problems with the stuff I looked at. Firefox 12.0

The only thing I know for sure is that I don't know as much as I think I know. Because of this fact, is there going to be some method of peer review, article comments or wiki editing?

Are you going to maintain all of this wonderful history?

Looks really good, no issues I see on Firefox. Are you planning on linking from the main page to the forum posts? Sometimes the best information is whats in the comments afterwards.

Looks good Rod, if you need any help with anything WP (stylizing, widgets, plugins, etc.) let me know.

The only thing I know for sure is that I don't know as much as I think I know. Because of this fact, is there going to be some method of peer review, article comments or wiki editing?

I have not put that much thought into this. Perhaps the workflow could be as follows: 1. Member volunteers to write article. 2. They submit article to forum for review (grammar, content, etc). 3. Article approved, and gets posted. For "opinion" articles, I doubt a review process would be necessary. I need to create a workflow still, but good point...

So will the forum section remain pretty much the same?

Yes. No changes slated for the forum, other then perhaps a new theme down the road.

Are you going to maintain all of this wonderful history?

Yes. All content currently on CP will remain, however may get re-written. The forum content will remain untouched. Might be a good idea to take some of the popular or important forum topics and compile them into an article for posting on the CP homepage.

Looks really good, no issues I see on Firefox. Are you planning on linking from the main page to the forum posts? Sometimes the best information is whats in the comments afterwards.

No. There is a feature that will allow members to post comments directly to the article. I need to look into the technical side of this deeper.

Looks good Rod, if you need any help with anything WP (stylizing, widgets, plugins, etc.) let me know.

Thank you. Your assistance may very well be requested. :)

tumblr_lpzaw45ztW1qz4ak4o1_500.png

Rod, I really appreciate everything you do for us. This community is one that stands above all others. You are THE MAN!

Since you are tweaking graphics as well...

...how about correcting the spacing on the logo between the "P" and "ass", so it reads like "CigarPass" or "Cigar Pass", instead of the current "CigarP ass"

It's named that way just for you...

It's named that way just for you...

I appreciate your dedication to my cause - but it is time you embraced a larger audience!

...and can we please see the logo lady's nipples. :whistling: Thank you!