• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Tips for a first time home owner

northernmoris

FFOX Whore
As of last Friday I closed on a house. I am a first time home owner. I have rent two previous houses and only had to upkeep the grass at my current. So as a first timer, I obviously want to fit in with the neighborhood and make friends along the way.

I want to know what you love/hate about your neighbors? Is it that car on cinder blocks, their leaves in your yard,, LMK..

The noise from above ground pools. I'm finally down to one neighbor with a pool. Other than that I can't complain, my neighbors for the most part are friendly and help each other.

If you have children, I would make sure they respect your neighbors property as you would expect their kids to do the same.

Congrats!

Congratulations! I'm dying to get a house but I don't think I can swing it right now.

Hate: the old man on his mower at 730am, three times a week.

Love: privacy

Congrats on closing on the house! We're looking forward to buying our first in a few months...the neighbor aspect is one that I dread.

Derek

I currently hate my neighbors' dogs. They bark all the time, as in all day and all night. This is a fresh topic of complaint for my wife since she was up all night last night listening to it.

To echo what Tone-ny said respect your neighbors property and privacy. Treat them like you would want to be treated. I am not saying you have to be best friends, but smile when you see them and say hello.

My neighbors are nosey as hell, my house is currently getting sided and they like to stop by and talk to the crew doing it (whom I warned). The one neighbor has a old school Winnebago that hasn't moved in 3 years tarped in the driveway and another is a drunk. But damned if they weren't helping we got 18 inches of snow or when I had a flat tire or letting me know if a strange car was in the drive or if someone knocked on the door and peeked in the windows.

Sure its kind of over bearing and gets annoying at times, but you gotta take the bad with the good.

Congrats on the home purchase.

Brandon

I love that they're all at least 400 feet away.

My neighbors are pretty good, except for the crazy lady living across the street. She had to sell her house since she could not afford it on an entrepreneurs (i.e. unemployed who does odd jobs here and there) wage. Instead of moving into an apartment, she asked the old man next door if it would be okay for her and her kid to live with him. He's a really nice guy and cannot say no. Now, her crappy van is parked in front of my house on the street, which just pisses me off every time I see it. I want so bad to call city hall since I know that the proper occupancy permits haven't been filed with her living there, but the christian side of me does not want to put someone on the street.

She is so weird.

Most importantly, congrats on the new home. Homeownership is wonderful.

People that bring their dogs by to s#!t and burn nice big p!$$ spots on my well kept, nice, green lawn. Goes with having a nice big corner lot, I guess.....

I got in the face of the last guy and told him flat out "...I don't s#!t on your lawn, don't bring your dog over to s#!t on mine. Do it again and I will most certainly come over and s#!t in your front yard, personally...". I hope he believed me because after a few whiskeys, you never know...... :angry:

Got to understand - we have five little dogs so it's not a dog hate thing. I don't let my own dogs to their job on the front lawn, I'll be damned if I'll let someone else's dog drop off a gift...!!!

Grrrr.......B.B.S.

I love the fact that my next door neighbor plays golf and poker.

I hate the fact that my next door neighbor plays better golf and poker than I do :p

I like when neighbors are neighborly. It's the little things that make a difference to me. For example when I have to shovel the sidewalk after snow, I always go at least a few feet if not more onto their portion of the sidewalk. Same goes for mowing my yard or spreading fertilizer. And when they get to it before I do they reciprocate.

Keep your trash cans & recycling bins in the garage or out of site. It's just an easy thing that make everything look nicer.

Communicate! We've been doing alot of remodeling, so whenever a pile accumulates of junk we've torn out I make a point to mention it to my neighbor and let him know I'm on it and that it will be gone right away.

Most of all be respectful. One of the biggest sources of contention that we hear about here is neighbors who don't like our cigar smoke. When/if that confrontation happens try to be respectful about your solution or refusal to accommodate their absurd demands.

To echo what Tone-ny said respect your neighbors property and privacy. Treat them like you would want to be treated. I am not saying you have to be best friends, but smile when you see them and say hello.

My neighbors are nosey as hell, my house is currently getting sided and they like to stop by and talk to the crew doing it (whom I warned). The one neighbor has a old school Winnebago that hasn't moved in 3 years tarped in the driveway and another is a drunk. But damned if they weren't helping we got 18 inches of snow or when I had a flat tire or letting me know if a strange car was in the drive or if someone knocked on the door and peeked in the windows.

Sure its kind of over bearing and gets annoying at times, but you gotta take the bad with the good.

Congrats on the home purchase.

Brandon

What do you expect, they're Browns fans! :D

music fromt the huge rolling bass boom boxes pimpmobiles that even my $20K windows don't stop. Got a neighbor 2 doors down who waxes his care about every other day, playing rap that I'm sure can be heard in the next zip code. Cops apparently have bigger fish to fry. I'm seriously considering trying to build an EMP generator.

music fromt the huge rolling bass boom boxes pimpmobiles that even my $20K windows don't stop. Got a neighbor 2 doors down who waxes his care about every other day, playing rap that I'm sure can be heard in the next zip code. Cops apparently have bigger fish to fry. I'm seriously considering trying to build an EMP generator.

Water your lawn vigorously, very vigorously, making sure to soak his car.

We're pretty lucky to have some elbow room with the neighbors. Our neighbors down the hill have a small engine shop or some such home enterprise and the ones next to them have barky dogs but the noise is rarely a problem. Fortunately, the neighbors with sled dog teams (2 mushers within a ½-mile or so) don't live on our street. We can still hear the occasional serenade but it's subdued by distance and lots of trees.

We like our neighbors up the hill. He has a plow-equipped truck and plows our driveway after heavy snows...and he won't take a nickel for doing it. Other than that, everyone pretty much keeps to themselves and don't cause any trouble.

For the most part my neighbors are quiet & friendly. Mrs. Morcerf got annoyed w/the cross the street neighbor after she went to her makeup party thing. The neighbor was aggressively recruiting the wife to sell the junk but she wanted no part of it. And she was a bit nosey & jokingly insulted the wife on her pregnant physique. Now they're moving, so... But that's always a crapshoot b/c the new neighbor could be worse. Such as follows.

My new next door neighbors (loved the old one) almost always leave their front porch light on & their house is situated so that it shines in my backyard when I want to be in the dark & look at the stars. I absolutely hate that.

The new neighbor behind me cut down a beautiful big Willow tree that provided additional privacy for me. He claimed that it "made a mess of his yard." I was so mad I was ready to shove him into a wood chipper. Our neighborhood is not real new so while we are not struggling for green leaves, I still cherish every tree we have. Personally I think the guy should be evicted for such a heinous act. He doesn't do much anything to control the weeds that creep under the fence into my yard either.

My other next door neighbor is real cool & always has the tools I don't have. His kids are a bit older so they have babysitting potential as well.

My dog likes to talk to all of their dogs though.

But congrats. At 1st I was overwhelmed by all the maintenance & upkeep it takes to own a home. But I couldn't be without my yard now, or the dog that buries his bones in it.

Congratulations!

Be neighborly but not overly familiar. :rolleyes:

I'm in a brand new development, so some of my neighbors are still vacant lots. But there's a young family next door, and he and I swap yard tips from time to time. His wife always says hi, and their little girls are adorable. Nice people.

Right now the only thing I don't like is the endless construction---contractor's trucks, nail guns at 7:00 AM on weekends, that kind of thing. But people here are really easygoing, so much so that the developer's sales rep for the subdivision bought a house here himself.

~Boar

People that bring their dogs by to s#!t and burn nice big p!$$ spots on my well kept, nice, green lawn. Goes with having a nice big corner lot, I guess.....

I got in the face of the last guy and told him flat out "...I don't s#!t on your lawn, don't bring your dog over to s#!t on mine. Do it again and I will most certainly come over and s#!t in your front yard, personally...". I hope he believed me because after a few whiskeys, you never know...... :angry:

Got to understand - we have five little dogs so it's not a dog hate thing. I don't let my own dogs to their job on the front lawn, I'll be damned if I'll let someone else's dog drop off a gift...!!!

Grrrr.......B.B.S.

I like when neighbors are neighborly. It's the little things that make a difference to me. For example when I have to shovel the sidewalk after snow, I always go at least a few feet if not more onto their portion of the sidewalk. Same goes for mowing my yard or spreading fertilizer. And when they get to it before I do they reciprocate.

Keep your trash cans & recycling bins in the garage or out of site. It's just an easy thing that make everything look nicer.

Communicate! We've been doing alot of remodeling, so whenever a pile accumulates of junk we've torn out I make a point to mention it to my neighbor and let him know I'm on it and that it will be gone right away.

Most of all be respectful. One of the biggest sources of contention that we hear about here is neighbors who don't like our cigar smoke. When/if that confrontation happens try to be respectful about your solution or refusal to accommodate their absurd demands.

BlindedByScience: I'm also a corner lot on a 4-way intersection. I get a view of maybe 5-6 houses..

Gonz- Won't be moving in for almost 3-4 months due to remodeling a small addition off the one side. Plus we're on a hill so we are putting up retaining walls and leveling it off.

My 2 Cents... Go introduce yourself to your neighbors right away. This stops them from making all the wrong assumptions about you before they meet you. Besides, if they know that you are friendly, it gives you a little more forgivness when you let your lawn grow a little to long or dont clear your drive of snow right away! :)

-gp

My current neighbors are great. There are three of us on a dead end street. We are friendly and we all pretty much watch out for each other and each other's pets. When we moved in here (5 years ago), I hauled away in excess of 35 tons of trash, so I think they are just grateful someone is taking care of the place. It was literally a dump.

Completely different story from the previous place. When I purchased it, it was very quiet and nice. And then someone bought the property to the south of us and proceeded to run an auto repair shop out of it with junk cars and crap all over. They also liked to ride dirt bikes around their property. They were friendly enough, but horrible neighbors to have. The people to the north of us had yappy little dogs that would bark constantly day and night. They then got some deal that would emit a high pierced sound to try to control the barking. Some people could hear it; others couldn't. Unfortunately I could. It was like freakin' finger nails on chalk board. I finally couldn't take it anymore. I probably could have handled it better, but I was completely irate, and went over there. I think I scared the sh*t out of the lady. All she said in a very meek voice after my tirade was "sorry - I'll turn it off". I am so glad we were fortunate enough to find the place we currently have.