• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

TiVo.....who has one?

Fast4Dr

Single Malt Newbie
I have seen TiVo brought up in quite a few threads lately. How many of you actually have one? What size and make?

I have a Series 2 60hr :D

I got an ATI Radeon card in cpu with tv in/out terrabyte of space so who needs a tivo

I have a Series 1 that came with 20 GB. It now has 120 GB. I like the Series 2 software but the Series 1 is much more hackable. The next thing I'm going to do is add a network card to it so I can save stuff to DVD. I hate watching TV without TiVo. Every time a commercial comes on I'm reaching for the 30 second skip button and it's not there. :angry:

BTW, do you guys know how to activate the 30 second skip? You press SELECT-PLAY-SELECT-3-0-SELECT and the TiVo should go ding-ding-ding. Then the advance to end of program button becomes a 30 second advance. Mucho bueno.

I have a USB Network Card for my Series 2. I now make my calls via the web :)

Check out this site. There is a tremendous amount of information on hacking your TiVo

Steve Jenkins TiVo Site

FatherTiresius said:
BTW, do you guys know how to activate the 30 second skip? You press SELECT-PLAY-SELECT-3-0-SELECT and the TiVo should go ding-ding-ding. Then the advance to end of program button becomes a 30 second advance. Mucho bueno.
Thanks Greg! :thumbs: :)

Oh, and do you do the same thing again to deactivate? I might miss the advance to end/back to beginning ???

lucasbuck said:
Oh, and do you do the same thing again to deactivate? I might miss the advance to end/back to beginning ???
I doubt it. I don't think I've ever used that button for its intended purpose. But yes, to deactivate, you go through the same sequence. Also, if the power goes out or you unplug the TiVo from the mains, it will reset and you'll have to re-enter the sequence again.

I have a Phillips DSR6000 combo 1st gen 30 hour tivo and directTV reciever. I also have a Panasonic DMR-E50 set top DVD recorder. I love that my tivo is so hackable, but since I got the dvd recorder I really haven't had any desire to hack anything on it. Acording to Leo on The Screen Savers the first gen also has a little better picture quality because of the lack of copy protection. I have to say I agree but I may be biased. :)

The DVD recorder has been a great addition to my system. I have tons of movies on DVD. The slight downside is the unit has been tempermental some times and the recordings don't always work on everyones dvd players, particularly low cost players like pinacle and such. Great addition though overall.

Read my profile :D

I'm a HUGE tivo addict now. I have two series 1 DirecTivo's. Very hackable (which is good). The one in my livingroom/home theater room is a Series 1 Directivo, with a 160gb+120gb = 242 hours of recording time, with a D-Link WiFi card so I can FTP in to it to extract video and burn to SVCD or DVD (which is a REAL pain to be honest- much easier to use my Home Theater PC next to the TV which has a ATI All In Wonder 8500DV card, and capture the video- not as good a quality, but so painless its hard to resist)

Then after I got addicted in the living room, I bought a second unit for my master bedroom- another Series 1 DirecTivo with a 120gb + 40gb = 147 hours of recording.

Both of them have dual tuner enabled- so I can record 2 seperate programs, on different channels at the same time, plus I can watch something stored on the tivo while 2 other programs are recording (3 things at once). SWEET.

I could be on a Tivo commercial now- I thought they were so dumb when they first came out, now I couldn't imagine TV without one :) :love: I LOVE MY TIVOs!

:thumbs: Toaster

Toaster said:
Both of them have dual tuner enabled- so I can record 2 seperate programs, on different channels at the same time, plus I can watch something stored on the tivo while 2 other programs are recording (3 things at once). SWEET.
Tell me more about this dual tuner thing. That sounds like something I need. Got a link?

??? a link? ??? I dunno tivo.com ?

The "good" info is at www.dealdatabase.com/forum ;)

Correct me if I'm wrong Toaster, but dual tunner is just a function of the tunner it's self. Look for it when selecting a tuner. I think it's very common now. All of mine have had it and I even paid extra for that feature way back when. I don't have mine hooked up as such now so I may be wrong, but you also need an LNB feed horn on the dish that supports it (easy and cheap to come up with) plus directTV charges a few dollars extra each month for the service.

Did I do ok Toaster? :thumbs:

Directv does not charge extra for the dual lnb if it's fed into the same unit for Tivo purposes. They charge per receiver :thumbs:

So if my TiVo doesn't have dual tuner now, it ain't never gonna have dual tuner. Is that what you're telling me? I thought from the previous post it was some sorta hack you could add. Btw, mine's not a DirecTiVo, it's a cable model.

FatherTiresius said:
So if my TiVo doesn't have dual tuner now, it ain't never gonna have dual tuner. Is that what you're telling me? I thought from the previous post it was some sorta hack you could add. Btw, mine's not a DirecTiVo, it's a cable model.
You got it Greg. It's hardware so unless you could somehow add another tuner and hack the necesary software you're out of luck :(

I Loooooove my Tivo

Series 2, 60 hour. STOCK (for now)

Does anyone use the Home Media option?

It would be kinda nice to be able to tell it to record a program from work, and listening to my MP3s on the stereo downstairs would be cool. I can't see many other needs for it.

Dave

That's why I want a network card for my Series 1. I love the idea that if I'm over at a friend's house and he says hey have you seen that new show? I can jump on to his computer, ssh into my network at home, lynx to the TiVo and put it in a wish list. Or I can control it with my laptop from the couch. TiVo is a true geek's toy.

FatherTiresius said:
That's why I want a network card for my Series 1. I love the idea that if I'm over at a friend's house and he says hey have you seen that new show? I can jump on to his computer, ssh into my network at home, lynx to the TiVo and put it in a wish list. Or I can control it with my laptop from the couch. TiVo is a true geek's toy.
You need to purchase the Home Media Option for $99 (Lifetime) in order to have those features