• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

To those who ship internationally, a must read!

rectifythis

CP; may cause dependency
In January of this year, I shipped the spoils of a contest to the winner, Anvil.
Dave lives in Australia, I live in the States. I sent his package International Priority USPS. This requires a customs form to be filled out and declared. USPS told me this form could not be tracked once it left the U.S. THIS IS NOT THE CASE! I later discovered that the # on the customs slip can be tracked. I threw Dave’s slip away thinking nothing of it. Weeks went by; no package. Months went by; no package. This was very frustrating for both of us. After many months, I sent Dave a replacement package which arrived safely.

What arrives at my doorstep this week? Dave’s package that shipped on Feb 4th! Yes, almost 9 months later it comes back as ‘unclaimed’. The package was still in decent shape. I fully expected to see rock hard or mold ridden sticks. What I found was amazing. They were still in good shape and for the most part hydrated! No mold, no bugs, still a bit spongy.

When I ship, I bag the sticks, then put that along with a Fuente humi pack [if going long distances] in another bag, then wrap the whole thing in aluminum foil; a trick I learned from Wilkey. I bubble wrap as much as I can to fill the rest of the void in the box. The only issue is that they seem to have picked up the scent of the synthetic humi pack (possibly slightly molded, though not visible). I let them air out overnight and am putting them into a box, back into the humi to see if they will stabilize and lose the scent. If I am able to save these, I am going to pass them on to a local botl with Dave’s permission.

Lesson Learned #1: Save the friggin customs slip #, as it can be tracked.

Lesson Learned #2: Good packaging practices can ensure LONG travel times. I honestly expected this package to arrive in 2-3 weeks, and figured after 2-3 months that the cigars would be completely destroyed. I was wrong. 9 months; and I bet they could’ve gone a few more. The humi pack was still 80% moist.

Lesson Learned #3: I now declare to customs something other than cigars. Some countries custom’s and/or local mail have a reputation for taking cigars for themselves, never making it to it’s destination; which is what we had presumed. On Dave’s replacement package, I declared ‘handmade throw blanket/ homemade hot sauce’. I had to say ‘hot sauce’ to cover for the sound of the little liquid treat I sent along as well. It arrived to him even faster. Of course; why would anyone steal a throw blanket! :D

Well boys and girls, I learned something this year, I hope you did too.

Seeing that at your door must have been a hell of a surprise. Interesting info. to know. Thanks.

Another note when shipping internationally, or at least to Australia is to use first class instead of priority. I know the few times Dave has had probems getting things they were sent priority. I have sent him things first class many times and haven't had any problems.

Note to self...

Good info, thanks dude!

-T

Another note when shipping internationally, or at least to Australia is to use first class instead of priority. I know the few times Dave has had probems getting things they were sent priority. I have sent him things first class many times and haven't had any problems.

I sent priority this last time with no issues and lightning fast delivery FWIW.

Yep, unclaimed my eye.
How about a box that was going from one state to another wind up going to the Dominican Republic.
Go figure.

This same thing happend to me and Wurm....

But he was shipping from Germany, or actually he had Dale ship them from his APO to me in Texas.

Tim

That's crazy stuff. I have a package that is en route to Dave and it's been about a month at this point. I wonder what will come of it?

I fear that this has happend to a package I sent to Finland. Ekas (sp, sorry I dont do well w/ no word handles) was supposed to receive a PIF I sent awhile ago.but last I checked in, no package as of yet. They told me "untrackable" as well. I'll see if I can dig it up.

thanks for the info!

I'm not a fan of shipping overseas..I had success going to an APO, but this is a bad experience so far...and expensive too!

Someone mailed me an envelope once, and when I opened the letterbox I discovered to my chagrin it was bent! Also, the envelope was empty... and was yellow.

I had the same thing happen to a bicycle I sold on eBay to a guy in Germany. Months went by - and no delivery. The buyer became irate - thought I was ripping him off. So I refunded his money. Seven months later the box showed back up on my doorstep with stamps and stickers on it from virtually every country in Europe. I photographed the box and emailed the photo to buyer...as if to say, "SEE!?!?!?!". The buyer apologized for his harsh words, and I re-sent the bike...this time it arrived without a hitch.

That's crazy stuff. I have a package that is en route to Dave and it's been about a month at this point. I wonder what will come of it?

Out of curiosity, did you send it first class or priority? I know that priority gets there fine sometimes, but from my conversations with Dave, it seems every time he has had a problem it has been with priority.