• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Today's Smoke II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had a Padilla Miami churchill, it was actually not that great, and then about 1/3 through, I noticed that the wrapper was tearing or "bursting" apart nearest the burn about 1/4 of the length of the cigar. The taste was a little bitter, and the draw was kind of moist, and I could tell something was wrong from the start because the ash kept falling off at 3/4 of an inch. Had to dump it and picked up a Montecristo #2 torpedo. I think it was dry boxed for about 5 days, great burn and it cleared my mouth of that bad taste. I was really sad about that miami.

I actually have a couple of questions about that "bursting" phenomenon, anyone know if it's due to over-humidification? It was raining and my humidor was a little on the high end (~74% RH)
"Bursting" occurs when the inside of a cigar is more saturated than the outside. When you light it, the inside expands much more than the outside. Hence, BOOM! :0

I've also seen cigars crack open from the RH rising too high, too quickly.

Hrm...it's weird though because I've had that cigar resting for about a year, don't know why the inside would be more humid than out, any thing to look for to avoid this issue in the future? Lower RH levels or longer dry boxing periods?

Had a Padilla Miami churchill, it was actually not that great, and then about 1/3 through, I noticed that the wrapper was tearing or "bursting" apart nearest the burn about 1/4 of the length of the cigar. The taste was a little bitter, and the draw was kind of moist, and I could tell something was wrong from the start because the ash kept falling off at 3/4 of an inch. Had to dump it and picked up a Montecristo #2 torpedo. I think it was dry boxed for about 5 days, great burn and it cleared my mouth of that bad taste. I was really sad about that miami.

I actually have a couple of questions about that "bursting" phenomenon, anyone know if it's due to over-humidification? It was raining and my humidor was a little on the high end (~74% RH)
"Bursting" occurs when the inside of a cigar is more saturated than the outside. When you light it, the inside expands much more than the outside. Hence, BOOM! :0

I've also seen cigars crack open from the RH rising too high, too quickly.

Hrm...it's weird though because I've had that cigar resting for about a year, don't know why the inside would be more humid than out, any thing to look for to avoid this issue in the future? Lower RH levels or longer dry boxing periods?
There may be other conditions in which the cigars "burst". I assumed you meant the most common situation. That of lighting a cigar that looks fine and having it explode as you smoke it. It could be that just having too high an RH would produce the same results in that scenario.

On the other hand, they sometimes seem to "burst" without lighting them. I'm not sure what causes that and could only speculate.

If you are having this type of problem what I would do to fix it is buy a Hydra humidifier. That way the RH will be regulated consistently. Beads are fine as long as you keep after them. Hydra is easier because it keeps a steady RH as long as you keep the reservoir saturated and gives you an alarm when it needs refilling. Don't get the small one - the large one is much better.

I smoked a LFD Habano Corona this morning and then took the sis-n-law to work at 8:30am. I finished the cigar and took about a 10 hour nap after being up 48 hours. Hopefully I can get some sleep before the shot in the spine tomorrow.

Goviado Black Petit Corona. These are made buy a fellow BOTL. For $2.25 a stick, these are really good! :thumbs:

Last night I stepped out onto my front porch at about 11:30pm. It was cold and windy, but I decided to go ahead and have a msoke anyway. Boy amd I glad id did. I lit up an Oliva Serie O Torpedo, and it was the best Oliva O, I'd ever smoked. Enjoyed it immensely. A great medium bodied cigar with fantastic flavors.

Last night I stepped out onto my front porch at about 11:30pm. It was cold and windy, but I decided to go ahead and have a msoke anyway. Boy amd I glad id did. I lit up an Oliva Serie O Torpedo, and it was the best Oliva O, I'd ever smoked. Enjoyed it immensely. A great medium bodied cigar with fantastic flavors.

I love the Oliva O. One of my favorite smokes in all sizes.

I just finished a Anejo #48 with unknown age aka at least a year old. Definitely hit the spot after my long day at the Hospital. :thumbs:

Yesterday was a JR Ultimate #1 Maduro.

Today a AF Double Chateau Sungrown and a San Cristobal Fabuloso.

Started with a Baccarat,
cut the grass while smoking a RP 1961 robo,
tat verocu no.5,
walked the dogs with a Liga Privada belicoso.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone. Started my day off right this morning.
636bdd4e-750c-2c04.jpg

Just had 1946 Padron Family Reserve and a couple of bottles Jordan wine to loosen the neck and back tonight.

Currently enjoying an '06 AF Hemi Signature maduro (Thank you Greg!) and a nice strong cup of coffee. Fantastic!

Enjoyed a My Father belicoso and a Johnny-O pyramide at the Camp Victory Cigar Club herf tonight.

About to fire up the CFCF Opus X BBMF from the 2009 box while watching The Expendables. Nothing but good times. :thumbs:

Status
Not open for further replies.