• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Toilet Room as walk-in humidor?

rawrr

I tried to do a search, but my search skill sucks.

I recently purchased boxes of cigars, so I am totally running out of room.

I am now putting the boxes in the restroom :(

The humidity inside the restroom is around 50% and remains quite stable. I don't use this restroom to take
showers, so the temperature also remains fairly stable at 79 degree.

I know I should buy a cooler but it is not an option for me right now.

My plan is just to store the cigars in the toilet (restroom I mean :blush: ). If I want to smoke them, I will transfer the smokes I want
into the humidor for weeks to adjust for optimal smoking humidity.

My question is: will storage in 50% humidity in the long run dries out the oil from the cigar, and causes irreversible damage to the smokes? Or can 50% humidity be good enough to age cigars?

edited: to make it more clear

Pardon me? you mean the room your toilet is in right? Not THE toilet.

I need more coffee.

Yeah, sure, the toilet! I just stick them in the tank, along with my cash, guns and other assorted loot!

But seriously, go out and get a small tupperware container, remove the smokes from the boxes so they'll fit and you'll be much better off.

So you can afford to buy a couple of boxes of cigars, but you can't afford to go out and buy a cooler?

But to answer your question, storing cigars at 79 degrees, and 50% humidity will dry your cigars out. Will they be so dry that they aren't smokable? I don't know about that, but being that dry will make them smoke very hot and the flavors will not be as good as possible. Also that high of a temperature is inviting a cigar beetle breakout.

Can you afford, or do you have, a couple of tupperware containers that you could put a piece of a damp spounge in with your cigars? That would work better than storing your cigars in a toilet.

My toilet stays right around 100% humidity. There's a little lever I can use to temporarily lower the humidity, but it comes right back up to 100% pretty quickly...

:laugh:

You can get a shit load of smokes in a toilet room :laugh:

50 RH is too low, and 79 ambient is too high. Take a load off, buy a cooler.

Brian

Yeah, sure, the toilet! I just stick them in the tank, along with my cash, guns and other assorted loot!

Holy sh!t Andy! You're the only other guy I know that does that too! I usually use the ziploc freezer bags doubled up, then with some duct tape wrapped three times around the seal. I learned that the hard way when I lost over $10,000 due to water infiltration. Ten g's ruined, and I had to reclean my scrubbed guns again.

Really put a damper on my assassination attempt that week. :(

So you can afford to buy a couple of boxes of cigars, but you can't afford to go out and buy a cooler?

My wife won't like it if I get another cooler :( , but I can at least hide the cigars in the restroom.

Yes you are right. I think I probably need to get some tupperware.

Thanks for everyone's advice.

My toilet stays right around 100% humidity. There's a little lever I can use to temporarily lower the humidity, but it comes right back up to 100% pretty quickly...

:laugh:

Same here. I am finding, as time goes on, the need to lower my humidity every morning at around 4-5am. Really getting annoying. Damn toilet use to make it through the night. Not anymore. I blame global warming. ;)

I tried to do a search, but my search skill sucks.

I recently purchased boxes of cigars, so I am totally running out of room.

I am now putting the boxes in the restroom :(

The humidity inside the restroom is around 50% and remains quite stable. I don't use this restroom to take
showers, so the temperature also remains fairly stable at 79 degree.

I know I should buy a cooler but it is not an option for me right now.

My plan is just to store the cigars in the toilet. If I want to smoke them, I will transfer the smokes I want
into the humidor for weeks to adjust for optimal smoking humidity.

My question is: will storage in 50% humidity in the long run dries out the oil from the cigar, and causes irreversible damage to the smokes? Or can 50% humidity be good enough to age cigars?

edited: to make it more clear

What type of cleaners do you use?

I'd stay away from anything with bleach!

hmm, OK. I know it's a bad idea now.

This restroom is basically very clean, no smell at all, as I only wash my hands here,
but I think I was too naive in hoping to solve the storage problem once and for all. (it can store at
least 100 boxes!)

My failed "restroom-o-dor" project :blush:
gallery_6026_403_18135.jpg

My wife won't like it if I get another cooler :( , but I can at least hide the cigars in the restroom.

Yes you are right. I think I probably need to get some tupperware.

Thanks for everyone's advice.

I just got a gun for my wife.......best trade I ever made! :thumbs: Maybe you could get a cooler for yours ;)

Um, yeah, that's just scary, or something, yeah, um, yeah, ok, so probably not the best idea. Hell if it comes to money, just buy a few small cheap Humi's and then store then wherever, gonna be much cheaper than a cooler or anything like that, and alot safer than flushing 'em away, but then I don't know shit, so, yeah. ???

Um, yeah, that's just scary, or something, yeah, um, yeah, ok, so probably not the best idea. Hell if it comes to money, just buy a few small cheap Humi's and then store then wherever, gonna be much cheaper than a cooler or anything like that, and alot safer than flushing 'em away, but then I don't know shit, so, yeah. ???

Huh?

Huh?
Not Huh...Yeah! :laugh:

Brian