• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Tom's Private Reserve

Nope. But I'll tell ya, I wouldn't pay 300 Plus dollars for a tin of tobacco if it was cultivated by St. Francis of Assisi himself.

Doc.

O ebay, will you ever stop the madness.

I would love to try some aged tobacco or one of the discontinued tins but I'm consistently out bid by at least twice my highest bid. Isn't pipe smoking supposed to be dead? Where do these people come from?

I still can't believe the Balkan Sobranie Tins going for over $100! Sheesh! Some folks sure have money to burn, I guess. Even if I could afford it, my pride wouldn't allow. ;)

There are places out there that offer vintage tobacco for purchase. The really hard to find stuff isn't always available (or reasonably priced) but you can find some very well aged tobacco for reasonable prices if you're willing to try something that isn't in such high demand.

I would never buy tobacco from ebay, especially stuff that's old. Who the heck knows what kind of condition it would be in and if you have some sort of problem with the seller ebay isn't going to help you because you're just buying the tin.

I'm also with Doc, there is not a tobacco that has EVER been produced that I would pay $300 for (or even $100). As important as enjoying tobacco is to me, it's not that important.

It's funny, the seller even states:

1. - The value of the item is in the collectible packaging, not in the tobacco itself.
2. - The listing description states that the tobacco package has not been opened, and the tobacco is not for consumption.

So the value is not even because of the product, just the package. Reminds me of those expensive vodkas/tequilas that are only expensive because they are packaged in a glass encrusted with diamonds and laced with platinum. Could be rubbing alcohol for all anyone knows.

Worlds Most Expensive Liquor

It's funny, the seller even states:

1. - The value of the item is in the collectible packaging, not in the tobacco itself.
2. - The listing description states that the tobacco package has not been opened, and the tobacco is not for consumption.

So the value is not even because of the product, just the package. Reminds me of those expensive vodkas/tequilas that are only expensive because they are packaged in a glass encrusted with diamonds and laced with platinum. Could be rubbing alcohol for all anyone knows.

Worlds Most Expensive Liquor
They have to say that in order to get past ebay's no tobacco policy. The cigar listings on ebay are just for the "collectible" bands, too.

Ahhh, interesting. I did not realize that. I had no idea there was a no tobacco policy on there. Still, I find it hard to justify spending more than $12 for a tin of tobacco never-mind $300.

Ahhh, interesting. I did not realize that. I had no idea there was a no tobacco policy on there. Still, I find it hard to justify spending more than $12 for a tin of tobacco never-mind $300.
As an experiment, I won a 50gm tin for $13 on ebay($18 w/shipping) just to see if I there is some merit to the whole thing. It took me a few tries to win a tin of Murrays Dunhill but I did - Stardard Mixture Medium from 2000. Well, I tried it and loved it but there are a few blends I like just as much for half or less the cost. It was very smooth and well balanced. But I like Penzance and MB Vintage Syrian about the same, although "apples and oranges", of course. ;) So I doubt I'll try eBay again for pipe tobacco.

BTW, I forgot to mention a ton went for $66 recently. Still way too pricey, IMO, but it shows you the difference patience can make at an auction.

BTW, I forgot to mention a ton went for $66 recently. Still way too pricey, IMO, but it shows you the difference patience can make at an auction.

I'm not sure that buying a whole ton would be a good idea. I mean, you'd have to buy a couple thousand jars to store it in, and then find a cool dark place to keep all those jars. What a headache. But for $66, I guess you could share with your BOTL's and store it all over the world. :sign: