• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Tough Economy, Limited Choices

Thanks for the replies all! Sorry I haven't responded earlier, my internet was down for a few day...not cool...

I'm looking at Tampa Sweethearts 4"x30(about a dollar a piece plus I prefer cigarillos) and La Vieja Habana. Thanks for the great suggestions! I might also go with a little more spendy variety pack just so I can get a better feel for which ones I like and don't like.

I appreciate your time, hopefully I'll get to eventually try ALL of the suggestions here,
PapaGwan

Keep an eye on cigarmonster.com , too.
They redux all of the days' deals
between 11pm and midnight EST.
An xlnt time to grab a bargain!

I got a box of Oliva V lanceros there for
$100 several weeks back. That's only $2.79
each, for an xlnt cigar.

There are some very good affordable cigars
out there. Punch, HdM Excalibur, and RP Edge
Missiles to name a few. Also consider factory
seconds. Some seconds are merely cosmetic
blemishes, and taste just like the primo smoke.

You need to spend more time searching for
deals, but that's half of the fun.

Chemyst :cool:

Just got a box of Quintero Corona's from CI for $39. Not a bad deal for a good smoke.

Evenin'!

So, with tough economic times(especially for us lower class folk barely scraping by), I had to start limiting my pleasures. First to go was console games; they are expensive! Second was leisure trips; with gas prices this high, who can afford to go for pleasure rides or road trips? But I refuse to stop smoking. I love cigars and pipes! But, I also can't fit big price cigars into my budget. I'd rather smoke good smoke often, then amazing smokes rarely.

So I come to you for help. Which brands would provide the biggest "bang for my buck" as it were. I don't want to sacrifice quality that much, but I can't shell out ten bucks a pop. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
PapaGwan

If you like strong/full bodied smokes, I strongly suggest you check out the new CAO La Traviatta. Had my first at the Big Smoke in Vegas -- my buddies and I immediately put it down as a cigar of the year candidate, and I do believe it's in my top 3 for 2009, along with the Cain F and the Tat Guapo Maduro. (Not sure when the latter first came out, actually.) Sure enough, CA just named it to their Top 25 for the year. Wonderful, wonderful cigar for about $5 a stick. The Cain F and Guapo are also well under $10 a stick; the F's are around $5, and the Guapo around $6, IIRC, at least around here.

Hope that helps!

Chris

Two Guys Smoke Shop has their own brand of cigar is fairly cheap and decent. I recommend giving it a try. They're nothing earth-shattering, but for the price, it's not bad.

Try the Tabacos Baez SF. They're $2 a stick for toro size and they're really good.

Lately my go-to cheap smoke has been La Aurora Leoninos. Very cheap but tasty!

Punch Rothschild Double maduro is very good. I bought a box and the price was only $2.55 a stick.

I tried a package of Tampa Sweethearts and was quite impressed! About a dollar a stick, all figured, and really not that bad at all! They did arrive terribly dry, though, and had to "humidate" for almost a week before they were back up to snuff. Still, definitely a worthwhile try for anyone who hasn't tried them!

I am still looking into these other suggestions. Definitely want to try them all hehe.

Thanks mates!

I tried a package of Tampa Sweethearts and was quite impressed! About a dollar a stick, all figured, and really not that bad at all! They did arrive terribly dry, though, and had to "humidate" for almost a week before they were back up to snuff. Still, definitely a worthwhile try for anyone who hasn't tried them!

I am still looking into these other suggestions. Definitely want to try them all hehe.

Thanks mates!

+1 what he said, I allow them to sit for atleast 10-14 days if not longer. I will also add DPG jj maduro, I got 5 for $30, and it included 2 CAO soprano's for free.

My suggestion would be the Ambos Mundos...don't think I've seen that mentioned yet. For an economy cigar I personally think they are great.

Carlos Torano makes some of my favorite cigars and they all all priced very reasonably. IMO, they are highly underrated. The cigars are very creamy, smooth, and always consistent. The Signature is my favorite. The 1916 Cameroon and Exodus Gold 1959 are also very good. They will run you a little over $4 a stick but they feel like a $10 smoke.

I also recommend CI Legends, the house blend that Cigars International puts out. They are all made by top manufacturers. The only caveat is that it comes in one size (5.7" x 54). There are ten different blends so you have several choices. So far I've had the Camacho (white label), Perdomo, (red label) Pepin (yellow label), La Auroro (black label). I enjoyed them all. CI runs specials on them all the time and right now you can pick up a box of 20 for $60.

Several people suggested the Padron Thousand series. If you can, make that your next purchase! They are out of this world. Seriously, you can not go wrong with those especially for $3 a stick.

Cusano 18 is a cigar that I smoke through college when more money need to go towards "books" It a great everyday cigar to enjoy