• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Traveling to Canada.

stevenzsofly

Hey guys, I've been roaming the board for some time now, and finally decided to start posting. I've been smoking for a year and a half now, averaging 1-2 cigars a week. After about 2 years, I'm finally traveling back to Canada. First, I'd like to know if I will be allowed to go through airport (New York, JFK)security with a guillotine cutter and butane torch lighter? Also, I'm very excited to try my first cuban cigar. The couple of guys I've talked to said the best place to get them are at airport. Is buying from the airport stores safe?

Thanks,
Steven D.

Cutter -- yes
Butane -- no.

You can get cigar matches and put those in checked luggage. As someone who travels lots I've learned a few things to make life easier.

1. Go to this site and print it out: http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm. I usually put my Xikar in my laptop bag, wrapped with this page.

2. As for buying at an airport.. most are ok but keep in mind it'll be expensive. And technically, as an American, you're breaking the law. You are not allowed to smoke or purchase Cubans inside or outside the US.

What part of Canada are you going to?

Thanks for the answers SyrLinus! I'm going to Brampton, which is like a hour away from Toronto. I used to go there at least once a year every year until my father died in 2007. A few years back, my dad and uncle started a plastic bottle producing company, and the thing has really taken off, contracts with Coca Cola and Gatorade. I'm going for business rather than on vacation this time around. Being 21 I'm very excited to what this can lead to. I see you're from Queens, same here!

Thanks for the answers SyrLinus! I'm going to Brampton, which is like a hour away from Toronto. I used to go there at least once a year every year until my father died in 2007. A few years back, my dad and uncle started a plastic bottle producing company, and the thing has really taken off, contracts with Coca Cola and Gatorade. I'm going for business rather than on vacation this time around. Being 21 I'm very excited to what this can lead to. I see you're from Queens, same here!
I am but I am Canadian, having lived in Toronto for 17 years and grew up in Ottawa. Rather than purchasing at the airport you might want to consider visiting here: http://www.shefieldandsons.com/

You'll probably have a better selection to choose from since Pearson will be limited to the Duty Free (and IIRC it's specifically Dunhill, Davidoff and Cohiba cigars that they'll carry). Remember that Ontario is entirely no smoking in any public place (including cigar stores). But with the weather being what it is, outside with a good beer (try Mill Street if you haven't had it) and good company should do you fine.