• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Triple Bypass

T2P

Green Horn
My father-in-law went in today for an angiogram with the potential of needing an angioplasty. About 20 minutes after going in the doctor informed my wife and her mother that he was going to need a triple bypass within the next week. Luckily they caught it before he had a heart attack so his heart is still relatively strong. The biggest thing is that it caught us all so off guard. The doctors were sure that the biggest outcome would be the angioplasty because everything was in such good condition still (blood pressure, pulse, etc). We are kind of reeling.

I guess I am just wondering if anyone else has gone through anything like this and knows what we should expect?

My father had one a few years before he passed away (the two events were not related). They split the sternum; staple everything back together afterwards. He was in ICU a few days afterwards, but home in about a week. Had to hug a pillow to cough for awhile, but fully recovered within a month or so.

Funny man, my father was. He had his bypass after a heart attack; we were all sitting around eating dinner and watching Jeopardy when he got an odd look on his face and said "I think I might need a little help here" before going into convulsions and flopping around on the floor.

This is the man who took his thumb clean off in a meat saw at work and called Mom to say he needed her to come get him because he'd "cut his hand." :laugh:

~Boar

A triple bypass is a fairly routine operation these days, although it does have it's risks. The details would only serve as a source of unneeded anxiety. I'm sure the surgeon will explain everything to your satisfaction. A cigar board is no place to ask questions like this.

Doc.

A triple bypass is a fairly routine operation these days, although it does have it's risks. The details would only serve as a source of unneeded anxiety. I'm sure the surgeon will explain everything to your satisfaction. A cigar board is no place to ask questions like this.

Doc.

We do not know anyone who has gone through anything like this before. I figured with such a varied group of members in the community I could just find a couple who went through it is all. Not necessarily risk factors and such. If I am out of place, let me know and no one else respond.

Doc.

We do not know anyone who has gone through anything like this before. I figured with such a varied group of members in the community I could just find a couple who went through it is all. Not necessarily risk factors and such. If I am out of place, let me know and no one else respond.

Nope! Doc was just looking out for you and giving his heartfelt opinion.

My dad had quadruple bypass about 6 years ago. He passed away 2 years ago but had nothing to do with his heart. As far as I can remember after he got out of the hospital he just had to stay low key. My Uncle (his brother) also had triple bypass and he is doing great. Best of luck to you and your family. I am sure everything will go well.

I deal with this every day, in fact it's my profession. I'm the charge RN on the Cardiac Progressive 3 (step down) floor at the local hospital. Basically that means that I see the Open heart surgeons every morning and take care of their patients every night. Here's how it goes down here. As mentioned above, the actual surgery is fairly routine these days, it's the recovery period that can vary from facility to facility, depending on where he is, who does the surgery, and what type of surgery he has. There are 2 basic kinds of CABG (coronary artery bypass grafting), and they are the traditional "open heart" where the surgeon operates by cutting through the sternum, and there is a newer minimally invasive robotic surgery performed at some hospitals with a davinci robot. This surgery does have less scarring, but in my experience it is possible to have greater complications. At our hospital the patient will go to the CVICU immediately after surgery and is still intubated and on many cardiac drips. The patient will also have A and V wires which are attached directly to the heart in case a temporary pacemaker is needed, and two chest tubes coming out of the front of the chest, near the bottom of the sternum. At our hospital, most patients are also placed on an insulin drip for the first 3 days after surgery, even if they are not diabetic, because our endocrinologist and surgeons have decided that it helps with the healing process for the patient's blood glucose to be in good control. The day after your surgery the patient usually comes off the ventilator and some of the drips, and pending any further complications leaves the CVICU and comes to our floor, CP3. The first day the patient usually just rests in bed because they have already had a lot going on, being that they came off the vent and are waking up more and realizing what happened and how much is still attached to them. The second day post op, the foley catheter will come out, the IV in the neck (central line) will come out, as long as a peripheral IV is able to be placed, the A and V wires will probably come out depending on the heart rate and rhythm and any complications, and the chest tubes may or may not come out, depending on output and what that day's chest xray shows. The patient will be transferred out of the bed to a cardiac recliner chair for all 3 meals throughout the day. This is the first part of their cardiac rehab. Throughout the next 5-7 days, the patient will be educated with their post op activity orders, discharge orders, food orders, smoking cessation, and all new lifestyle. If there are little to no complications they will then be discharged to home. If they are not progressing as we'd like, but don't necessarily need a cardiac bed, we may transfer them to the in-house rehab floor for a week or so, to get the physical therapy they need.

My father had CABGx5 in 2007 (not at my hospital) and is doing great. He used to eat poorly, never exercise, chew 2 cans of copenhagen per day, and never go to the doctor. After his surgery he elected to to the outpatient cardiac rehab 4 days a week for a year and still exercises. He no longer chews, but smokes cigars (not nearly equal to what he chewed), and he exercises and has regular visits with his MD. To this day he's doing great.

Hope this helps!

It is fairly routine these days, but still nothing to joke about. Thankfully they caught it before.

My father had a quadruple almost 15 years ago (when he was 55). Adopted a much healthier lifestyle, and is arguably in the best shape of his life. Still keeps in touch with the other patient who he shared a room with and had the same operation.

Best...

Thank you everyone for offering your support for my family. My father-in-law's surgery went exceedingly well yesterday. The length was shorter than expected and he was fairly lucid and able to communicate some within a few hours of the surgery. It looks as though he should be moving from ICU either later today or early tomorrow assuming all goes well. Again, I appreciate everyone's comments.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

My dad went through quadruple nearly 13 years ago. All fine.

My wife's grandfather I think had bypass surgery 2 or 3 times in his later life. The guy had numerous skin cancers, colostomy, etc. Kept ticking up until 2008. He was upper 80's when he passed. The guy just kept on ticking.

:thumbs: